16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  What gun is your favorite to shoot?
dblgunnut
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 2:46 pm  Reply with quote

This is kind of an open and personally opinionated question. Best of all IT'S JUST FOR FUN! What gun do you shoot that brings the biggest smile to your face? It could be how it fits, shoots a good memory, etc

I'll start it off, I have an old M-37 Ithica 16 ga beater that I wouldn't trade for anything. I got it from my grandfather who had customized it. He didn't like the 28" barrels so lopped them off to 24". Funny thing is the choke gauge still shows it at IC. That was his everything / meat gun and was what he toted when we went hunting. Everytime I pick it up I remember this huge, barrel chested man in JC Penney overalls who taught me to love the outdoors!
brdhnt
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 3:02 pm  Reply with quote

Several years back, I picked up one of the new Ithaca 37 classics in 16 gauge. Nice wood, ringed forend, 26 inch barrel and 6 1/2 pounds. I'm not a fan of pump guns, but this one has performed flawlessly. I find it getting used more and more. I din't realize how much i had been using it until on a recent hunt, I loaned it to a friend who was having trouble connecting on birds with his sxs. He asked me how long I had had the gun and I told him. He asked if I bought it used and I said no, brand new. Then he pointed out the wear on the bluing on the receiver where it gets carried and the wear on the forend where my left hand is. Yeah, I guess I do use it more in the field than any of the other guns in the safe. Interestingly, this little Ithaca is right on the money for the average of all of my guns when weighed and measured for length. If I could get some decent light loads worked out for it, I may use it even more on practice skeet and sporting clays.

"I'll know I'm in Heaven when God comes walking down the road carrying a sixteen and follwed by a couple of Brittanies and says:'Let's go bird hunting.'"

TB
________
Marijuana vaporizer

Last edited by brdhnt on Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
mod11rem
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 3:23 pm  Reply with quote

as all of you know by now, my favorite is my old 16 ga. Mod 11 Rem Sportsman. I have 3 other mod 11's, 2 12's and a 20 beater. A friend gave me the 20 a couple of years ago. He opined that anybody that had than many Mod 11's in 12 and 16 really needed a 20. It has no blue and a repaired crack on the wrist. It had an old poly choke on it and needed a new main spring. I had the poly cut off and put on a bead so it's now about 22" Cyl bore. I put in the new spring and cleaned it up. I loaned it to one of my son's friends for a dove shoot last year. He quickly dispatched a limit of 15 doves with nary a malfunction. You just can't kill these old guns.

I carry this one in my truck when I'm stomping around in south Fla in the spring loading watermelons. Those gators down there around Immokalee can get down right fractious when they get romance on their mind. I reckon a double dose of 00 buck shot would take care of one of those critters. I hope I never have to find out. although fresh gator tail is pretty tasty.

mod11 rem

sbs470
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:32 pm  Reply with quote

the one that gives me the biggest smile is not a shotgun but there are two barrels.My Gibbs 470 nitro .I love shooting that rifle .I have seen the ivory that this rifle has taken and heard the stories of travel and adventure in 5 different countries of East Africa.I just love shooting it .11 1/2 pounds of brute strength capable of taking any thing on the planet.

good shooting
sbs470
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 5:46 am  Reply with quote

Believe it or not, my favorite gun to shoot is my 28" barreled Citori Superlight .410. I bought it barely used at a good price because it had fixed chokes and was languishing in a gunshop corner. I had Hastings install their version of Briley chokes in it.

I love this fun little gun for skeet and small bird shooting. I 've learned more about wingshooting with the little bore than any other gun in my rack. Plus, it is a real pleasure to shoot without the recoil. Since I reload too, it is very economical. What more can a guy ask for.
Dave Miles
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 7:10 am  Reply with quote

My favorite gun has to be my Parker, PH, 16 gauge, 0 frame, 28" Twist steel barrels, 6 lbs. 1 oz. It just seems to shoot where I point it, and is one of the prettiest guns to look at. Next would be my Ithica model 37, 16 gauge, that my Dad gave me for my 14th birthday. It used to be his gun.
Foursquare
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 11:57 am  Reply with quote

Very mixed emotions about this. Sort of like watching your mother in law drive off a cliff in your brand new BMW. Smile

The gun in question is my very first smoothbore, a hand-me-down from the old man, a Rem Sportsman 58 BDL in 16. The bad news is some previous owner had added a Pachmayr pad and Cutts compensator to what had been a full choke. And, at 7.86 lbs, it was obviously built on a 12 frame. The good news, it has - to this day - the nicest walnut I've seen on a production Remington of any model. And it was all mine.
My first bobwhite and rooster fell to this gun. So I have a tremendous sentimental attachment, but, with that bird's nest on the end of the barrel, and the handling characteristics of a 4x4 post, I'll probably never shoot it again.
Of course I'll never sell it either.

Pete
TJC
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 2:09 pm  Reply with quote

I was hoping my Merkel 16 ga I bought this year was going to be that favorite gun you ask about. It's good and I like it a lot. But I'm fast liking my Fox Sterlingworth in 12 ga. more and more. Not sure why, but I am.

16 Candles
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 8:23 pm  Reply with quote

The citori 16 is the coolest gun i own in addition to being the most fun to shoot. Use 1 oz loads for doves, quail and clays and you won't get beat up.
woodcock
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:03 am  Reply with quote

The little Marlin Model 90's.
LittleDoc
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:32 pm  Reply with quote

Fun thread here. What always makes me smile (inwardly at least) is stepping up beside a Brittany on point and cocking the hammers on my 16ga Webley & Sons. She is as slim and graceful a gun as you'd ever lay eyes on-all gentle curves that just flow into each other. Others have described the back action hammergun as the most visually pleasing firearm yet made and I firmly agree. Much of their beauty derives from how wonderfully well form follows function. There is nothing superfluous on this gun. Everything is in the correct place. It has superb balance and that "live" feel that makes mounting and pointing effortless. It is also the most comfortable gun to carry I have- there are no sharp edges. I never owned a hammergun before, but I believe George V had it right "A gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears." I wish she could talk and tell me of her former owners and their adventures-what game they killed together and where. She has at least a hundred years of tales to tell. May you all have a gun you treasure as I do this one. Let's keep this one going.

LittleDoc

P.S. I'd post a picture if I could figure out the FAQ directions. Can anybody help me out? Let's see some pictures, boys. And, do the rest of you refer to your guns as "she"?
rmeron
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 1:30 pm  Reply with quote

I like Ithaca's,the older ones 37's and SxS,and I just got an old Mongomery Wards Western Field mdl 30 which is a Stevens 520,and when I throw this to my shoulder my eye is in perfect position with the front bead,that doesn't happen with a lot of shotguns I've had over the years.
I would definately get another Stevens 520.
Ron Overberg
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 9:11 pm  Reply with quote

The love of a good 16g Beretta SxS has been my downfall. My favorite was a 409PB 16g untill I found a 424 16g and now my last favorite has been a 411E 16g Beretta. The last one is 6.5# of fast acting bird gun. It is a smaller frame than the 12g of the same model. I guess untill Beretta makes a side lock 16g this will be my last favorite for a while. Laughing
Good shooting,
Ron
TJC
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 10:17 pm  Reply with quote

Here is my Merkel, one of my favorites

Brad6260
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 6:01 am  Reply with quote

My SKB 100 has seen me through too many fence rows and brush piles not to have a special place in my heart.
I still think for the money they are one heck of a bargain in a sub$1000.00 gun.

Honerable mention would need to go to the Ithaca 37 that my father also gave me on about my 13th birthday but unlike Dave M's who's sits with pride in a corner I decided to take the intelligent course of action some where along my 16th birthday and sell it for I would guess an eight track tape player,date money,beer money,date money!
Some real wise investment I'm sure.