16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  The high cost of shooting
Scolari
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 8:52 am  Reply with quote

I was listening to the news while driving to work today and they were talking about some shooting event at the World Shooting Complex in Sparta, Illinois. They were complaining that entries for the event were down about 30 percent. They claimed the high price of gasoline and ammunition has caused fewer shooters to show up at events. That is no surprise to me. By the time I drive up and pay $5.50 a round plus shells, I figure I spend a good $60 just for an afternoon shoot. I've heard similar complaints from a couple of other clubs in the area. One told me that they may only open on weekends. They just didn't get enough shooters during the week to make it pay. A friend of mine just bought a nice O/U at a very good price in St Louis. He told me the dealer discounted the gun quite a bit from his asking price. One reason he sited was slow gun sales. I think the hight cost is finally catching up with the industry.
mtjim
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 9:03 am  Reply with quote

I think most people are going to continue to spend money on what they like to do regardless of the higher costs. I haven't noticed any less traffic on our highways yet!!

BTW what was the name of the St. Louis Gun Dealer who cut the price???? Very Happy
roll crimp
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 9:21 am  Reply with quote

The reason you see people driving around with gas at $3.70 is multi fold. It's impracticle to ride a horse to the doctor or to work for most of us. It is far more of a necessity than shooting.

As for as shooting goes, I am not surprised at the drop in shooters at the WSC or any other range ,if it a good distance from any perticular shooter. I live about 40 miles from the WSC but I'll dive 10 miles to the nearest though not the best, range. I also belong to a very nice club with excellent centerfire facilities, in Missouri and have not been there in 2 years because it would cost me a $150 or so for a round trip. Throw in a motel room and meals for a week end event, along with ammunition and range fees and $500 isn't out of the question. I probably will drop my membership because it just isn't cost effective any more.

I still reload but only because I am using components that I bought years ago. At $38 a pound for shot I'm seriously thinking about taking up archery!

Back To 16 Gauge
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 10:44 am  Reply with quote

I am sure that the US Open at the WSC was down somewhat because of the gas and ammo prices but the event was scheduled a different week this year from last year and went against some other big trapshoots in the region. Most of the big name trapshooters were at other shoots. Too many choices on one weekend.
Scolari
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 10:47 am  Reply with quote

mtjim, I'm not sure of the name but it used to be the old Dunns store. I've been there before and it is on I70 a little west of the Bass Pro shop. You can see it on the frontage road.
Dave Miles
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 11:38 am  Reply with quote

[quote="roll crimp"]
I still reload but only because I am using components that I bought years ago. At $38 a pound for shot I'm seriously thinking about taking up archery![/quote]

Have you checked on the cost of arrows lately?
Something like $150.00 a dozen. Sad
The way I shoot a bow, I'll stick with lead. Wink

Gobius
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 1:31 pm  Reply with quote

I'm just getting back into shooting and hunting, because it's a hell of a lot cheaper than motorcycle road racing Sad .
Stack16
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 3:53 pm  Reply with quote

THE OLD DUNN'S STORE AT CAVE SPRINGS,TRUMAN BLD. EXIT IS NOW CALLED "GATEWAY OUTFITTERS" RIGHT HERE IN CHARLEY TOWN.

GRIFF
Highcountry
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 6:45 pm  Reply with quote

roll crimp wrote:
I still reload but only because I am using components that I bought years ago. At $38 a pound for shot I'm seriously thinking about taking up archery!

RC, I assume that you mean $38 a bag. Around here, it is $50 a bag. Shocked

Ben Yarian
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 8:34 pm  Reply with quote

I keep cutting the lead down in my shells. I now am shooting 5/8 oz in my 16 gauge guns. I was suprized, I haven't dropped in my scores a bit.
Ben
old16
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 6:53 am  Reply with quote

I shoot a lot of trap but do to the high cost of gas and lead I'm starting to drop a lot of shoots I was going to on weekends. I reload because of the supplies I bought years ago. I won't use my lead up of the 12ga so I have plenty for the 16's.

Sad thing is I have not seen the shooting industry help out the shooters with the high cost of shot. They are kinda like the big oil Co. They are going to get all they can now before the hole goes dry.

roll crimp
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 11:20 am  Reply with quote

Yes I mean $38 a bag.....NOT a pound.

$150/dozen for arrows must be for finished arrows. I make my own with natural wood shafts. self nocks, and turkey feathers. Even at finished arrow prices, those arrows last a lot longer than a bag of shot and I can retreive the arrows. Have you ever tried to retreive shot????

Dave Miles
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 12:24 pm  Reply with quote

You've never tried to retrieve my arrows. Wink
About 1 in 3 gets lost in the weeds. That's why I gave up bowhunting. Sad

UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 2:55 pm  Reply with quote

I haven't been to the range for a month or two due to the cost also. I know I'm not alone. I'm saving my $ for a few really good trips this Fall, although I confess I did put a minty $500 12 ga. Sterly duck gun on layaway.
Browningfan369
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 11:33 am  Reply with quote

I went from shooting two to three times a month to once every two or three months, as stated the cost of gas, shells and everything else is just to much for me, I've even went out and found a part time job, which just about covers a tank or two of gas. I really miss it

Paragon School of Sporting Professional Associate.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger