16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Mec Reloader
mrosspa
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 5:30 pm  Reply with quote

I was thinking about a Lee, but read about how is might not resize properly, I guess it will be a MEC reloader.

Now which unit:

I won't reload over 50 rounds a week, but I got 750 hulls waiting to be reloaded.

I want to use steel and other nontox shot when needed.

I'd like to have enough bushings to try different loads and shot quantities.

It doesn't have to be fast, but I want it to resize well enough that the rounds will fit in my different guns.

Any other important information would be greatly appreciated.

Michael

skeettx
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 6:39 pm  Reply with quote

Hello, I feel that in this case a MEC SizeMaster would fit the bill quite nicely. It is a single stage loader and will size the hulls with the MEC collet system. It will not frustrate you and is easy to adjust. Also, it should be economical. It will also load non-tox shot with the proper bar. Enjoy the day, Mike
brdhnt
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 8:45 pm  Reply with quote

Michael,

I would second the recommendation of a Sizemaster. I would add that you need to spend the extra money and buy yourself an adjustable shot/charge bar. It will enable you to tailor your loads more precisely and especially if you are going to be using non-tox, will create a lot less hassle than switching back and forth on the MEC bars and bushings. Besides, in the long run it will cost less than buying different bars and bushings. Of course, after you settle on a load, you just dial it in and leave it there.

IME

TMB
________
Hotels in mexico

Last edited by brdhnt on Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Ash Goodwin
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 10:10 am  Reply with quote

Not wanting to hijack the thread. I bought two on the recommendation of this and other boards/friends. I paid less than 150, delivered via Ebay. I have always been told that the universal charge bars are a pain in the patootie, and not to waste my money.

I have yet to load a shell-ever, waiting for Hammocks wads to go into production. Just what I've heard. What opinions/experience do you all have?

Ash

Because, without beer, things do not seem to go as well- Diary of Brother Epp, Capuchin Monastery Munjor, KS 1902
brdhnt
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 12:12 pm  Reply with quote

Ash Goodwin wrote:
I have always been told that the universal charge bars are a pain in the patootie, and not to waste my money.

I have yet to load a shell-ever, waiting for Hammocks wads to go into production. Just what I've heard. What opinions/experience do you all have?

Ash

I've loaded thousands of rounds using an adjustable charge bar in load development and testing in 12,16,20 and 28 gauge.

The adjustable charge bar enables me to get precise shot and powder throws that are not possible using standard bars and bushings. I did some devlopment work on a couple of different powders before they were available commercially and before they were even listed for bushings. I could weigh charges fro about five different bushings to get the load I wanted or just dial it in on the adjustable and then tweka it to get the exact powder throws I needed. I used the adjustable bar and loaded over 700 rounds in 10 round batches for the testing. It was time consuming, but it would have been a lot more if I had tried to do it using regular bushings and bars.

BTW- I load all of my development loads on a Sizemaster in the various gauges.

My Exrperience

TMB
They do require some time to get them adjusted just right, but anybody who has ever loaded centerfire rifle or pistol spends more time adjusting the charge bars on those for different loads.
________
Sexual health advice

Last edited by brdhnt on Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 1:55 pm  Reply with quote

mrosspa wrote:
I was thinking about a Lee, but read about how is might not resize properly, I guess it will be a MEC reloader.

Now which unit:

I won't reload over 50 rounds a week, but I got 750 hulls waiting to be reloaded.

I want to use steel and other nontox shot when needed.

I'd like to have enough bushings to try different loads and shot quantities.

It doesn't have to be fast, but I want it to resize well enough that the rounds will fit in my different guns.

Any other important information would be greatly appreciated.

Michael

Just as important as the loader is a good quality scale. It is absolutely indispensable if you are going to use a universal charge bar.
wingshooter
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 7:57 pm  Reply with quote

Quote:
Just as important as the loader is a good quality scale. It is absolutely indispensable if you are going to use a universal charge bar.

If I had heeded this advise early on it would have saved me a ton of grief. Got a little 30.00 Frankford Arsenal digital scale from Midway, and checked each load in my 25-06, as well as shotshell loads. It was so far off with the
-06 that I got over-pressure indications on the brass. The scale is NOT the place to save money. I now have an RCBS Chargemaster 1500 combo and am not only lovin' it, but a whole lot more confident of my loads (which the Chrony confirms).

Mike

Manufrance Ideal 314:
Barrel set 1- (choke) .000 , .007 , chamber 70mm
Barrel set 2- .025 , .047 , 65mm
Barrel set 3- .005, .015
Manufrance Ideal No. 5:
Choke: .000, .010, 70mm chambers