16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Anybody kill any turkeys with their 16 ga. this spring?
britgun
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 2:35 pm  Reply with quote

I went out this AM and called in probably the best tom of my life, got him at about 15 yards with a 1921 LC Smith ejector (bought off of Gulf Coast Guns last spring), X-Full left barrel. His spurs were easy an inch, and beard was 5-6 inches, but "broomed off", maybe from breeding?? I used a Noble 1 1/8 oz. 7 1/2 shotshell.

His tail was immaculate (perfect whitest tips I've ever seen, usually they are a little buff colored), but the wing tips were a tad sketchy from dragging during the strut. I'm having him mounted in an upright, non-strut pose, head looking back, like on a Wild Turkey whiskey bottle label, or like the Audobon painting.

I hear these western Mirriams are the easiest to call in the country, but I've never hunted anyplace else other than MT to compare to. I got a couple young ones last fall, but hadn't gotten a proper boss tom for over a decade. I forgot how much fun that is. I used a Primos double reed and only had to yelp a couple times. He was pretty hot. I think the hens are nesting already, but he still seemed to be in the mood. It only quit snowing here a week ago, so things are kind of late this year. For example, the morel mushrooms haven't even thought about coming up yet. Maybe he was just getting rolling, can't say for sure. This is about the latest I've ever killed one. I usually have gotten them in April.

Any of you get any you feel like talking about, with which gun and whatnot? It would be kind of fun to know. I remember that Charles hunts them with a 16 some, for example, a Marlin O/U, as I recall.
sprocket
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 2:53 pm  Reply with quote

I had a jake come within 8 feet of me - he was doing his best on my decoy but the inflate-a-date was only giving blank stares. He spotted me in my blind and came over to check me out.

I was waiting for something with a little more beard, otherwise I could have easily taken the jake.

When I finally bag my bird, I'll be boasting up, I mean posting up.
britgun
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 5:05 pm  Reply with quote

sprocket wrote:
I had a jake come within 8 feet of me - he was doing his best on my decoy but the inflate-a-date was only giving blank stares. He spotted me in my blind and came over to check me out.

I was waiting for something with a little more beard, otherwise I could have easily taken the jake.

When I finally bag my bird, I'll be boasting up, I mean posting up.

Can't wait. What are you shooting him with?

Upland Carpenter
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 5:51 pm  Reply with quote

Congrats britgun! Any pics you care to share? I think I'm going to have a vicarious spring gobbler season this year Sad , so some pictures would be great.

Marcus

''Common Sense isn't common" -Lefty Kreh
pbr streetgang
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 6:03 pm  Reply with quote

not this spring but with the closing weekend upon us here in Georgia I just might have to break out the sweet sixteen.
sprocket
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 6:35 pm  Reply with quote

My 16 of choice is a Hunter Arms gun made for Sears I bought with much advise of board members - Since then I've found that my hunting has changed to work around it than to exclude it.

I'm using some Mark 5 shells I found too - 1 1/8 #6 - might as well do it in style Smile
wingshooter
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 7:39 pm  Reply with quote

I went tomless this Spring, not so much as a gobble. Sad

Manufrance Ideal 314:
Barrel set 1- (choke) .000 , .007 , chamber 70mm
Barrel set 2- .025 , .047 , 65mm
Barrel set 3- .005, .015
Manufrance Ideal No. 5:
Choke: .000, .010, 70mm chambers
popplecop
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 4:04 am  Reply with quote

My 13 yr. old Grandson killed a 23 lb. 10.5" beard, 1&1/8th" spurs at 27 yds. Firearm used was a Bikal 16 ga with a True Choke turkey tube with 1.25 oz. load of federal 6s. Couldn't be prouder, I myself did not get out because of my wifes health in her 7th week in hospital. This particular Bikal O/U is my sons canoe gun, after about 6 years of use it is finally gettin a litlle easier to open.
britgun
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 5:06 am  Reply with quote

popplecop wrote:
My 13 yr. old Grandson killed a 23 lb. 10.5" beard, 1&1/8th" spurs at 27 yds. Firearm used was a Bikal 16 ga with a True Choke turkey tube with 1.25 oz. load of federal 6s. Couldn't be prouder, I myself did not get out because of my wifes health in her 7th week in hospital. This particular Bikal O/U is my sons canoe gun, after about 6 years of use it is finally gettin a litlle easier to open.

Wow, what a nice Tom! My best wishes for your wife's full recovery. Thanks for the report. I think your grandson killed a bigger bird than me!
pudelpointer
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 8:36 am  Reply with quote

We have shot 5 nice Gobblers so far up at my place. I just call for the guys and some guests so I rarely shoot one. I have shot 7 in the past with a sixteen. I think the hens are finally going to nest, Sunday morning was really starting to get interesting. We worked 2 birds killed one and heard alot more in the distance. This weekend should be really good. Boy I really like spring calling turkeys in the morning catching fish in the afternoon and late dinners with cold beer and bourbon.
britgun
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 8:45 am  Reply with quote

pudelpointer wrote:
We have shot 5 nice Gobblers so far up at my place. I just call for the guys and some guests so I rarely shoot one. I have shot 7 in the past with a sixteen. I think the hens are finally going to nest, Sunday morning was really starting to get interesting. We worked 2 birds killed one and heard alot more in the distance. This weekend should be really good. Boy I really like spring calling turkeys in the morning catching fish in the afternoon and late dinners with cold beer and bourbon.

Sounds like some good days! I wish I could hunt turkeys more like you do. I was glad to have gotten one so fast and easy and all, but would have liked to have hunted more.... you blow all the dust off the camo, suit up, call for 3 minutes and kablam, then put it all away til next spring.... don't seem right.... if I had more time, I'd take some young guys out and try to get 'em hooked on it.
pudelpointer
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 10:09 am  Reply with quote

Well I'm not real old but I learned along time ago hunting Turkey's is more fun than shooting turkeys. I go every weekend for 3 days and wait to shoot my turkey till the last day or 2 I'm going to hunt. Alot of times my tag isn't filled but I sure as hell had alot of fun. I enjoy seeing my guests and buddy's shooting turkeys. I called a nice Tom in for a freind this weekend who never shot a turkey. It was a classic hunt the bird gobbled good and camenot too fast in about 45 min. strutting and gobbling. When the bird was 20 yards in front of him I hit him hard one more time and he ripped of a good gobble right in his face. After the shot I ran down picked up his bird and shook his hand,it was shaking pretty hard. Thats what turkey hunting is about to me the pure excitment of it. Jim told me he couldn't believe the bird didn't hear his heart beating that's not the first time I've heard somebody say that. Its a great sport congrats on your bird.
Charles Hammack
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 7:04 pm  Reply with quote

Well folks I can chalk one down . This would have been my 39 th year Turkey Hunting taking my limit every year , but not this year .

With Flatwater taking up the first weekend , Meetings concerning the upcoming big news concerning the 16ga and the 4 jobs I didnt have time to go out hunting thus breaking tradition .

No Turkey for me !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Never going to happen again folks , nothing as important as Turkey Hunting , except this upcoming announcement concerning the 16ga just hope all the effort has paid off .

We shall know perhaps tomorrow ?????????

Regards Charles
britgun
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 7:40 pm  Reply with quote

Chas, your KILLIN us out here, you didn't even get a turk this year?? What IS goin on with you, sir?