16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Hunting Vest
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 4:32 pm  Reply with quote

I made my Filson more adjustable for heavy or light clothing by using plastic pack belt clips for the shoulder and waist straps, and now no metal to ding the gun. The thin shock cord goes to the e-collar. Two squirt bottles fit easily in the back pouch. The left front pocket carries a first aid kit and multi-tool. Shells go in the right front. The small zipper pocket on the inside carries a compass, cell phone, and wallet.

budrichard
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:39 am  Reply with quote

Thanks for the reference to Buck's Bags. Hydration bladders are the way to go as bottles are very cumbersome to carry(ask the Military), so I will order and try this vest.-Dick
Lockster
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:46 pm  Reply with quote

I wore Filson straps for years....until I tried a Wingworks. Hands down the best strap vest out there.

rpm
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 6:18 pm  Reply with quote

It's all a matter of personal taste and circumstance. I worked my way through college as an electrician's apprentice and now absolutely despise and refuse to wear anything resembling a tool belt which will hang weight on my hips drag my pants off - there is certainly nothing wrong with it, however I happen to not like it. A multi tool is about as heavy as I'm comfortable wearing anymore.

That said, we are generally not far from the vehicle so carrying water and food are simply not necessary for me
Kiwishooter
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:46 pm  Reply with quote

Well I finally made a choice after all the advice here and contacting the various manufacturers - thank you to all involved.

Bob at WingWorks was more than just helpful - he was actually interested in what I was looking for. He explained how the WingWorks vest might suit my needs but also spoke highly of some of the other brands I was looking at - very fair and balanced advice.

The vest arrived Friday and I took it for a walk today and it sat beautifully on my back as I missed a rooster and a couple of quail....sigh. The vest is excellent and I have to agree Lockster. Well designed, well finished, more features that you would expect and I felt so comfortable after humping all my gear through the (unexpected) snow for 5 hours.

I appreciate that everyone has their own likes and needs but I am now an avid WingWorks fan. Now looking forward to filling up that gamebag!

Ross
Rick Grimes
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 3:36 am  Reply with quote

Good choice Ross. My WingWorks vest is the best I've tried and Bob is a real honest to goodness birdhunter.

Going into coverts becomes less a chase with the sole purpose of killing; it remains important to find game but the gratification-and I keep coming back to that word-is in the beauty of finding it. George Bird Evans A Dog, A Gun, And Time Enough.
chopper
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:14 am  Reply with quote

I've had a mother for about 5 years and enjoy it. When we go to SoDak we are out for 7 hours or more and it holds everything I need and then some. I use it for day hikes as well.

I would like to test one if these out in the future. http://www.badlandspacks.com/gear.php I have tested the daypacks before and they are great pieces of equipment.

Brad