16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Bair 600. Info. needed.
grouse gunner
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 8:09 pm  Reply with quote

My buddy just inherited his Grandfather's pretty extensive collection. Some nice guns, but unfortunately none are for sale. I want to help him out because he's a true gentleman and also because he forced some powder on me and I'd like ro reciprocate.

He wanted Gramp's reloader out of the house and insisted I take it. I did so but I'd like to sell it and give him the proceeds. It's a Bair 600 progressive in 12 ga. The loaded shells look fine so apparently it functions appropriately and was bolted to a bench when he took possession. A little dusty, but in good shape in my opinion. I know nothing about any loaders except the standard MEC's I've owned. I think I heard that this Bair was the same as a "Pacific 366"?

I'd like to know: Is this a decent loader that somebody would get some use out of?...and...what would be a decent bargain but still fair price for my friend to get something out of it without giving it away. He's a very fair man so I don't want to see him taken advantage of, but I'm sure he'd be happy to get it to someone who could use it at a discount but not rip off price.

I have no interest in keeping it. I would like to sell it locally so as not to have to mess with shipping but I don't know where to start on the price.

The neat part is that the collection includes an absolutely mint 16 ga. model 90 that I can use on the skeet range whenever I wish. He's got the same in 12 and 20 gauges too and a like new 28 ga. 11-48, but is hanging on to all of them.

Any ideas on the loader?

Thanks in advance.
steve voss
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 5:47 am  Reply with quote

The loader is indeed a Pacific 366. Harley Bair of Lincoln, NE, who is still living life large at the age of 84 or so, was the owner of Bair Manufacturing. Bair made all the castings for the Pacific (Hornady) loaders. He wanted to put out his own line for his buddies at the long defunct Western Gun shop to rep. They are only different in color, blue rather than red.

Harley is a huge character, donates lavishly to local charities, and enjoys buzzing his buddies on the golf course (located outside of town) in his pristine P-51. He's having a grand life.

sv
Buckeyechuck
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:54 pm  Reply with quote

I have a Bair Bobcat 16 ga. that works well. I found that the Hornady bushing's fit it. Also, Precision reloading makes a conversion bushing so MEC bushings can be used too.
Good luck.