16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  [b]16'ers Get Together update. [/b]
Brad6260
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 10:11 am  Reply with quote

When I began the thread I would have been surprised if there was not a positive reaction to a get together and there certainly seems to be that.

I did not want to post a response until I had sent a note to our webmaster making sure that no toes would be stepped on or policy violated if this topic was pursued and some type of informal get together was planned.

I have so far received no objections and made it clear that none of this/us represent the 16Ga. Society in any way shape or form. Period!
Just some individuals with a common interest trying to get together.

There are two very distinct ideas here so far.
1) Competitive formal shoots and/or fun shoots
2) Field hunts.

I would love to see both and hope someone with knowlege in the Competetitive shooting sports arena picks up the ball and runs with it.

Regarding the field hunt side of things it seems that next falls early bird season may be the most likely target that would allow everyone adequate time for scheduling, lodging etc. and I do have a couple of ideas to toss out at a later date.

There have been a few of you who seem to be chomping at the bit to get your 16 out for a little exercise so I'll toss out the following idea/offer.

I have plans to hunt Jan. 11-15 either OK or KS . I love North Central Kansas (Beloit area). There have been lots of birds this year, tons of acreage to hunt and I believe it would work very well for a "get together" location.
But ! I am sure it comes as no surprise to any of you that Mid January would mean late season educated cocks that don't come so easy.

So my proposal is this.
If at least five of us could commit within these dates I believe we would have enough man power to push some good late season birds up.
FYI- The lodging scenario there runs $30.00ea per day.

If anyone does want to pursue this with me I suggest you send me a
e-mail and we can discuss the details . Brad6260@insightbb.com

Otherwise lets look at next fall and ideas that others may come up with.

Again! Waddaya think?

Brad
hoashooter
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 10:48 pm  Reply with quote

I f you need a trap/skeet club to shoot--Let me know .I run the local club no restrictions on hours, days,etc Twisted Evil I am VERY lucky to be in charge of this club Exclamation Exclamation If I am not working WE CAN SHOOT--$3.50 per 25 birds-no other charges Cool
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:33 am  Reply with quote

Hey Brad: Did any 16ers manage to get together this season? How was the Beloit area? Did you take HOA up on a club fun shoot? (even if he doesn't let Kansans in!) Any plans for fall/ 06'? Have you connected with Dr 16g.?
Brad6260
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:55 am  Reply with quote

First of all I did hear from the "founding Fathers" of the site and there is in the works some very interesting sounding functions that are strickly in the discussion stages. Hopefully they will pan out.

A few of us did make a pilgrimage to the Beloit area and had a great time.
The late season cocks are alive and kicking for a damn good reason.
Their smart S.O.B's! The warm weather had them out of their normal winter heavy cover and roaming the milo fields where it was a real challenge to flush them in gun range. None the less we found lots of birds and a good time was had by all!

To my knowledge there is nothing else planned but as I said before I would be delighted to see others run with ideas.
Perhaps the off season will gain more interest in HOA shooters offer of a trap/skeet venue in Illinois.

Suggestions ???

Kindest Regards,
Brad
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:46 pm  Reply with quote

Heard it was a very odd hot, windy Jan. in KS with tough hunting but there should be lots of 'holdover birds' making babies for next year if the weather cooperates.
Maybe those of us using the forum can let each other know our plans for the 06' season-I've enjoyed 'talking' with you fellas and it would be fun to meet up somewhere in KS. I'm likely to be in KS and S. Dakota the first 10-14 days of the season Primero Dios and my wife picks a mutually acceptable payback (how many chick movies do I have to go to ?!?!)
My new setter pup will be 1 in Nov. and I'd like to get him on some KS quail but doubt I'd inflict him on any pheasant hunters at that point!
KyBrad16ga
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:34 pm  Reply with quote

Brad6260 wrote:

A few of us did make a pilgrimage to the Beloit area and had a great time.
The late season cocks are alive and kicking for a damn good reason.
Their smart S.O.B's! The warm weather had them out of their normal winter heavy cover and roaming the milo fields where it was a real challenge to flush them in gun range. None the less we found lots of birds and a good time was had by all!

As one of the "brave" few who ventured out to Beloit with Brad6260, I can tell you it was tough hunting for some really smart birds. It was almost HOT, which made for some sweaty walking and felt like early season, except none of those dumb early season cocks were still around. Literally, we would step into a field and those birds would be bam, out the other end, 200 yards away.

It was fun though and a great time. Beloit is a fantastic area and I know that I for one will be going back with Brad next year. I'd love to meet some of the other 16gaugers then as well.

KyBrad (Lexington Brad as opposed to Louisville for the other one... much better city you know... Wink )
pudelpointer
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 6:53 am  Reply with quote

I would really like to go to a 16 gauge shoot in the north east. Everytime I am shooting sporting clays and skeet I am the only 16 in the group. Pennsylvania or upstate New York I know some very nice clubs.