16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  A gripe against Cabelas...
jrothWA
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:28 pm  Reply with quote

was at the Lacey, Wa. store yesterday.
Walked in and picked up fsale flyer, noticed at top of thirteenth page:
SALE! FEderal lead 16ga, @$6.49 / box 0f 27 7.5 shot fine for trap and skeet

Now, I live 80 miles North (by I-5) have never seeen any of thier ads in local paper or on website, they really want to stick with local customers.

Rant over.
onefunzr2
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:46 am  Reply with quote

Cabelas is so big, they play by their own rules. For every customer that has stopped doing business with them because of the way they got screwed, there are probably 10 others drawn in by easy online ordering, their pretty stores, and gigantic inventory.

I have not done business with them since autumn of '04. Lies and ho-hum customer service just don't cut it with me. Same thing goes for Griffin & Howe, Dick's Sporting Goods, and General Motors. I wouldn't care if they all went out of business!!!

Scolari
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:01 am  Reply with quote

I would have to agree, but I haven't given up on them. What I have learned is that you can't change them. For years I've filled out the suggestion cards at Bass Pro suggesting they stock more 16 ga shells. I did the same with Cabelas. I've not noticed any change. I have done the same with Walmart. Our local stores stock a few 16 ga shells but only in #6 shot. The behind the counter people tell me they don't sell many so they don't much. I tried to explain if they would stock some #8's they might sell more but it's like talking to a brick. One little girl even told me that the 16 ga was obsolete. I've even written to the corporate office and they just refer me back to the behind the counter people. I buy what they have but I've given up on changing them.
hoashooter
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:31 am  Reply with quote

The bottom line is the execs are not shooters and the counter people are completely clueless when it comes to the shooting sports Evil or Very Mad Ask any of the sporting goods people a simple question and you will get that blank stare Shocked Surprised I asked for a box of .22 shorts the other day at Wally andthe kid behind the counter turned red and pointed over to the men's underwear Rolling Eyes We would not tolerate this ignorance at the local auto parts store yet we accept it as normal at the big retailers Embarassed Makes a guy miss the time when we could hang out at a REAL gunshop for hours on end Wink Cool
nutcase
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:57 am  Reply with quote

jrothWA wrote:
they really want to stick with local customers.

At the risk of repeating myself again... Cabela's is as much a tourist trap as they are an outdoor goods retailer. They of course want local business, but locals can comparison shop. But tourist impulse buy and don't look at price as much. And, of course the retail business has become secondary to their credit card business.

They do mail out their sale flyers but I have no idea how close you need to be to a store to get one.

Bald Eagle
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:51 am  Reply with quote

Having shopped both, I like Bass Pro better than Cabelas.

Cabelas does have a better catalog though.

Jim
Reichy
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:00 am  Reply with quote

Cabelas has never treated me anything but well. Broken gear, prematurely worn out field boots, whatever -- they stand by their sales.

However, that said, I do not walk into their stores expecting to learn anything about firearms or fishing gear. I do my homework in advance, then visit the "big" stores to get a decent price.

And, let's be honest, have all the counter people at your local gun stores been omniscient about sporting firearms? Rolling Eyes I've had more misinformation leveled at me by sales-intent gentlemen behind mom & pop gun store counters than I care to recollect.

As always, caveat emptor.

R
Square Load
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:54 pm  Reply with quote

I live 140 miles from a Cabelas. They have been putting their fliers in the our local newspaper since they opened.

Dennis
Birdswatter
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:13 pm  Reply with quote

I ordered a pair of jeans from Cabelas. They arrived with the correct size marked, but were 4 inches too big....mismarked. I called Cabelas, they immediately sent me a replacement pair and told me to give the other pair to charity!

I received an email offer for $50. off any $200. in-store purchase. There is no Cabela's in my state (California). My wife was travelling on business in Texas and was near a Cabela's, but the coupon was expired. I called customer service at the store and was advised that of course they would honor it. So I got a $200. Leupold scope for $150.

The divedends on my Cabela's Visa entirely paid for my TC .50 cal muzzle loader that took my big deer last year in Michigan.......

I could go on.

How does it get any better than that? I don't go to gun stores to get educated on guns by the clerk.....I already know about guns. I like Cabelas and sincerely hope they don't open in California, then I would have to pay sales tax!

Last edited by Birdswatter on Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mod 97
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:29 pm  Reply with quote

I'm curious if the original poster is a Cabela's Visa holder. For instance, the closest store is over 200 miles from me, but I have a Cabela's Visa and I visit the store a few times a year (it's near the family gatherings). Since they know I use the store, they send me the flyers.

Do you think they send flyers to every resident in my town? How large of a geographical radius do you think they saturate with mailings?

"Take it or leave it" regards,

NR

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:32 pm  Reply with quote

I live 7 miles from the Cabelas store in FT Worth,TX, I can honestly say that after purchasing 2 guns and numerous merchandise during the last three years, they'er still OK in my book. Admittedly they have some screwball ordering policies and their stocking of 16 bore ammo sucks. I will still continue to shop there, but I always check twice and look four times before buying. Wink

jrothWA
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:53 pm  Reply with quote

I would have like to bought some 16 ga shells had I known earlier.

As it was I was in the store put on lay-a-away a 1966 M70 in 7mm Mag for this upcoming Elk season. Should haveit paid -off ny August. ( Got to sight-in, sometime and not the Saturday before season)

I do not have their credit card as it would be MAXed each month!

And I used to live 17 miles West of the Dundee store in Michigan and they would put flyers in the local paper there!
onefunzr2
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:24 am  Reply with quote

Birdswatter wrote:

I could go on.

How does it get any better than that?

My rant is not over some nickel and dime clothing mis-match.

How about booking a trip of a lifetime through Cabelas, having 2 of their so-called experts, Russ Selly and Cy Angeloz proclaim that my hunting partner and I will most certainly bag all game on our list in less than the 10 days, and have free time to visit Namibia's Etosha National Park to view the Big 5? When we get halfway around the world we are told by the landowner who is also our PH that there are no mountain zebra or wildebeaste on the property, and that he told Cabelas they should change their brochure 2 years ago. He also said Russ and Cy never shot those game animals on his property. 5 days into the safari we're told to pack up our gear as we're going on a 900 mile road trip to southern Namibia for the second part of our hunt. It took 14 hours and lost one whole day of hunting. No chance of visiting Etosha Park. Nothing, either verbal or written, was ever said of this 2 part safari.

We got no apologies and no reimbursement for the non-existent animals on their list. All we got was a run-around from one customer service rep to the next.

F**k Cabelas and the liars they have working for them!!!

I hope some deep-pocketed money bags gets screwed by them and then sues Cabelas out of existence. What sweet revenge that would be.

fin2feather
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:35 am  Reply with quote

I don't go to Walmart for product knowledge, I go for price, selection, convenience, and hassle-free returns or exchanges of defective products. Same with all the big box stores, Cabela's included.

However, there is no excuse for what happened to onefunzr2. If you're going to be in a specialized market like that you'd better know what you are doing, and you'd better perform. I'd be mad too!

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
Wolfchief
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:20 pm  Reply with quote

I too have my deep seated issues with the a**holes at Cabela's, and I'm not going to repeat the rant here, as always some all-knowing wise-a** who spends about $50 every 3 years at Cabela's will tell me what a fine store it is. All I can say is, if you shop there for firearms long enough, one of these days it will happen to you---then you won't feel so "mellow" about them. Their gun prices ON ANYTHING COLLECTIBLE are LUDICROUSLY high ! THERE OUGHT TO BE A LAW.....