16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  A gripe against Cabelas...
fin2feather
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:30 pm  Reply with quote

Wolfchief wrote:
Their gun prices ON ANYTHING COLLECTIBLE are LUDICROUSLY high ! THERE OUGHT TO BE A LAW.....

Isn't it the buyer, not the seller, who sets the price? It's pretty simple: If you don't like the price, don't pay it. Supply and demand, my friend; at least that's what all the free market folks used to say until gas got to 4 bucks a gallon.

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
XVI'er
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:58 am  Reply with quote

I agree with fin. I negotiated the price on both my gun purchases with them. I'll tell you some thing else- they can and do get some of the real gems that are undervalued as well. My friend Postoak will verify what I say. He has picked up some deals as well in their gun dept.

Look, all I'm saying is that you have to be a better buyer these days. If your done dirty, find out who makes the decisions and plead your case to them. I would be interested to know if onefunzer2 took his case to the right person and what they actually told him.

One could you share with us?

Hunter&Hound
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:40 am  Reply with quote

I really like Cabelas.

I don't have the "luxury" of living in an area where I have access to quality sporting goods, so I do most of my shopping online.

Frankly, I'm getting a good laugh out of some of the pompous, condescendng gripes I'm reading here.
spr310
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:11 pm  Reply with quote

Hunter&Hound wrote:
I really like Cabelas.

I don't have the "luxury" of living in an area where I have access to quality sporting goods, so I do most of my shopping online.

Frankly, I'm getting a good laugh out of some of the pompous, condescendng gripes I'm reading here.

I did not read any pompous gripes here. What was condescending about them?
I to have a gripe with Cabela's. As I shop online, there attitude when a problem occurs they do not aknowledge that they have the problem. You are the one that created the problem and they do not have to aknowledge it.
I will not buy from Cabela's again. Not because of price or quality, but because of the attitude of the person I talked to over the phone. It's the help that makes a company, not who owns it.
cvdawley
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:45 pm  Reply with quote

I guess I am a Cabelas supporter. They have never hassled me with any return I have had, no matter how long I have owned it, even when I dont have a receipt. I frankly have gotten some real good deals on fox, smith and parker guns. One needs to know what is a good price and be willing to walk away if the price isnt right. I bought a like new 280E Merkle from them last year which they had listed as an EL. When I pointed out the error as we were closing the deal they were very apologetic and asked me to tell them what I thought was a good price. I got a like new gun, likely never fired for much less then I would have paid else where. I have had much worse experiences on line.
xtimberman
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:16 pm  Reply with quote

Hunter&Hound wrote:

+1

HeHe! I wouldn't have worded it like that, but I had similar thoughts when reading through some of the previous posts. JMHO.

I rarely buy retail at Cabela's. I prowl through the "Bargain Cave" looking for bargains, and boy have I found some - right time, right place, etc.

Most of their fine guns are priced high, but some occasionally aren't - you'll never find a bargain if you don't look. Some of my buddies tell me that they are often very generous on trade-ins toward the high-end stuff. I've found some REAL bargains in the used low-end gun racks - how about a nice Ruger Mark-I plinker for $125?

Their on-line Gun Library gets thousands of guns out there in front of a million prospective buyers who may not have the time or gasoline to fool with gun shows or long-distance gun shops. I commend them for that and the fine customer service they've given me so far.

xtm
flyline
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:50 pm  Reply with quote

I have a little different perspective on them than most folks. By profession, I am a manufacturer's rep for some lines that I sell to their main offices in Sidney, NE. I have sold to them for over 15 years. I have always found them to be tough, but fair. When they went public four or five years ago, there was a definate change in a lot of things, as they were now under the public's eye.

I buy a number of items from them, such as footwear, camo clothing, etc. but stay away from their ammo ( too high) and other items that being in the business I can purchase cheaper elsewhere. I have purchased three used 16s (Ithaca Flues, Uggie, and Elsie) from them in the past couple of years, and have been able to "dicker" with pricing to what I found as "fair".

Overall, I believe they are a good operation, but for everyday outdoor shopping, I prefer Sportsman's Warehouse.
Birdswatter
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:02 pm  Reply with quote

I certainly wouldn't book a "trip of a lifetime" through Cabelas. I would ask friends what outfitters they used successfully, research the top picks extensively myself, contact further references and have all details contracted prior to dropping a single dime. Middlemen and big $ trips don't mix. You lose control of the details.
Reichy
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:20 pm  Reply with quote

Birdswatter wrote:
I certainly wouldn't book a "trip of a lifetime" through Cabelas. I would ask friends what outfitters they used successfully, research the top picks extensively myself, contact further references and have all details contracted prior to dropping a single dime. Middlemen and big $ trips don't mix. You lose control of the details.

True, but his story about his trip of a lifetime made me think "what an awful shame..." I feel for him.
Birdswatter
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:43 pm  Reply with quote

Yes, too bad there was no compensation by Cabela's or the outfitter.
Wolfchief
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:14 pm  Reply with quote

fin: When YOU sell a gun does the "buyer" set your price? Give me a break ! I HAVE walked away from their ridiculous prices...but it takes about 10,000 of us to walk away to change behavior...two or three score informed buyers certainly aren't going to do it...

World's Foremost Outfitter?? I don't think so.....

FlyChamps
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:13 pm  Reply with quote

Wolfchief wrote:
I HAVE walked away from their ridiculous prices...but it takes about 10,000 of us to walk away to change behavior...two or three score informed buyers certainly aren't going to do it...

Bluntly, if only 40 or 60 buyers out of 10,000 think that the price is too high then it is not - the 9,940 or 9,960 have dictated that the higher price is the market price.

The legal definition of "fair market price" is "that price which a willing buyer who doesn't have to buy will pay a willing seller who doesn't have to sell". This definition eliminates "forced or distress" sales, which by their very nature do not define fair market value. If people are willing to pay the price, no matter how high, it IS the fair market value.

That's economics 101. Period. Paragraph.

You don't have to buy the gun and Cabela's doesn't have to sell it. Each of you is simply desirous of the buy/sell. If you don't buy it someone else will or Cabela's will lower the price. Cabela's will deal on guns - at the Vintager's last September my wife talked the head of their gun libraries down on a SxS that I desired from $7400 to $5000 (she's a better negotiator than me). But I decided that I wasn't going to pay that much for an 1880's 16 bore hammer gun to use as a shooter. I later picked up an 1866 16 bore hammer gun at an auction for slightly under $1850, which has turned out to be a great shooter. I'm just as happy with my $1850 Joseph Lang as I would have been with the $5000 Dickson - but it had nothing to do with Cabela's and everything to do with my intended use of the gun for shooting clays and quail, not as a collectors showpiece.

If you don't like their prices buy it from another dealer - that's the American way. If no other dealer will sell it to you for what you want to pay then your expectations are off of the market.

I'd like to pay $.19 a gallon for gas like I did when I got out of the army in 1971 but the best price I've seen here this week is $3.76. Such is life - I want to pay $.19 per gallon but if I want any gas I've got to pay $3.76. Guns are no different - fair market value is fair market value.
cvdawley
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:21 pm  Reply with quote

I was getting out of the army about that time too, I forgot gas was that cheap!! Also, I agree with your comments. As I noted before, you have to be willing to walk away if you cant work the deal you want. I have had pretty good success with Cabelas and other dealers in Mn cause I am willing to do so.
Birdswatter
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:16 pm  Reply with quote

Fly....You sure hit that on the head!!! There are a bunch guns that I would love to own, but can't afford from Cabela's or anywhere else. That does not mean they are overpriced. I would also welcome the gas prices you are paying right now.......cheapest I've seen around here is $4.59.
Wolfchief
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:06 pm  Reply with quote

I stand by my comments; robbery is robbery, end of the friggin' story.