16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  A gripe against Cabelas...
Back To 16 Gauge
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:27 am  Reply with quote

Wolfchief seems to have anger management issues. Anyone can try to sell anything for any price they want. It either sells or it doesn't. So what. Be a wise buyer. I will continue to go in Cabela's, Scheel's, Bass Pro, Gander Mountain, Academy Sports, Sportsman's Warehouse. etc. looking for the bargains and to check out products I see in magazines,etc. Nobody is holding a gun to my head to buy anything there. Its the same old story, buy smart/know your guns.
fin2feather
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:44 am  Reply with quote

Wolfchief wrote:
fin: When YOU sell a gun does the "buyer" set your price? Give me a break !

Sure they do. I have two guns for sale right now. Nobody has ponied up, so I have two choices: 1) sit on my price and sit on the guns hoping the right buyer comes along sometime, or 2) lower the price until I find the point at which someone buys them.

Cabela's is doing the former, betting that someone eventually will not be able to live without that gun, and will pay the price. If no one does, it'll end up on their sales list. I'll probably do the latter and put my money somewhere else. Either way, it's the buyers who're making my decision for me; the market sets the price, and the market is the buyer.

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
Birdswatter
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:26 am  Reply with quote

Wolfchief wrote:
I stand by my comments; robbery is robbery, end of the friggin' story.

Actually, the definition of robbery (211 PC) is (loosely translated) the taking of another person's property through force or fear. I highly doubt that Cabela's has ever used force or fear to separate you from your hard- earned $$$$ during a purchase. If they did, you should definitely file a report with your local PD.
Ron Overberg
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:01 am  Reply with quote

I'm always saddened to hear bad experiences but, as always, we learn and are smarter the next time. Well, atleast we hope to be. Cabelas Fine Gun Library is always interesting. I have decided that it is a sales come on and a darn good one. Thousands of folks stop in to look at the over priced guns they have seen on the internet. Most don't intend to buy(myself included). We just enjoy looking most of the time and dreaming. (IMHO)Then we head off to buy something else for hunting or fishing. I have purchased guns and walked away from others but, I have never come away empty handed.
Best,
Ron
Wolfchief
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:01 pm  Reply with quote

Fellows: My point is, if the item is limited in supply, or if the demand is inelastic (pretty much constant all the time) a la from Colt or Winchester collectors--or maybe GAS and the Mideast is another example of supply controlled by someone else, selling to buyers with limited options---and just a relatively few people have the product (like Cabela's and Colt collectibles or Arabs with the gas) don't we get a bit upset when these sellers set their prices extremely high? In fact unbelievably, unrealistically high, just because they can? It's fine to walk away...but what if you can't find the product anywhere else reasonably close?

You may say, "well, then they're in the catbird's seat, be they Arabs selling gas or Cabela's selling Colts, and can charge what they damn well want to! That's free enterprise, by God !!"
And my response would be, is that necessarily right? Because it's also Mickey Mouse, rinky dink....Do I have to LIKE it? Should I feel "good" about it? Does the price they are asking represent anything close to "reasonability" in the marketplace? Do you think possibly they just MAY have overpaid slightly for the product to acquire it for resale? Is it possible they may rountinely engage in what is called "puffery" in legal terms to describe an overpriced firearm as "98%" when any experienced buyer can see it's closer to 85-90%? If you think they don't, just study the gun photos/descriptions on their websites...

WE can all walk away..or wait for "bargains" from them...however, we don't have to like or champion their behavior, and I certainly don't. I can say what I feel. But you are right about one thing...burn me once, shame on you....burn me twice, shame on me....

carpe dm
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:42 am  Reply with quote

Square Load wrote:
I live 140 miles from a Cabelas. They have been putting their fliers in the our local newspaper since they opened.
Dennis

An interesting store, but NO bargans. In fact, I think their gun prices area tad high!~ Rolling Eyes

cvdawley
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:24 pm  Reply with quote

Well, they can be. I am currently looking at picking up a aya 4/53 28ga which Cabelas has for 3500. I has thus far found the same gun for as low as 2995.00. It is like anything else, you have to shop around.
cvdawley
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:39 pm  Reply with quote

I have to correct myself regarding my earlier post. Turns out the 2995.00 gun isnt the same as cabelas has for 3500. The 2995 gun has 27 inch barrels compared to 29" on the cabelas model and any variation in lengh from 27" is another 400.00, bring the prices to near equal with what I thought was the best price I had found so far. The only remaining benifit in buying from the other seller is I wouldnt have to pay sales tax compared ,to having to do so at cabelas. This is still a 200.00 savings