16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  THE ANNOUNCEMENT THAT WE ALL HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR .
Dr. David Dabaco
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:31 am  Reply with quote

16gg. You're back! You had us worried, you old dog. Wink

And true to form, you are totally right about the extra barrel. Now you have me thinking about a new gun, despite the fact I do not like pumps and autos!!!

best,

David
Yellow dog
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:35 pm  Reply with quote

And now i shall call and place my order.

what a grat thing. My hat is off to you sir!

16's
Stevens 530a single trigger.
Browning BPS special field.
Winchester 12.
b.randzin
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:30 pm  Reply with quote

Welcome back 16gg, you had some of us worried. You were missed. The new gun is great, nice work Charles.
Bruce
525field
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:41 am  Reply with quote

would like to know if it has a swell at the end of the barrel for the tubes
like my bps but don't care for the swell .
XVI'er
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:18 pm  Reply with quote

Jgoodman, you are correct about the heat dissipating idea on the rib that is vented. It will save some weight and not catch debris from the field if you don't have one. Ventilated ribs were an innovation adopted from the target shooting fraternity on single barrel guns that heated up with rapid firing.

Nowadays, it's hard to find a single barrel repeater without one.

525field, the barrel on the Society guns has no bulge- they are fixed choke.Like 16GG says, you only have to buy one to suit you if plain barrel is not what you want- with tube compatability.

Flawaterfowler
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:43 pm  Reply with quote

Wonderful job, Mr. Hammock... now how 'bout a Southern edition?

Lets see...

Engraving side one: gentleman Bob and a mourning dove
Side two: a wood duck and a bluewing teal (Hey Im a duck hunter)

Nice wood... nice bluing ... 26" barrel....

It'd be the next best thing to the New Ithaca (if it survives) producing on their rumored 16ga Model 37
Rrusse11
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:36 pm  Reply with quote

Charles et al.,
Congrats gentlemen on a unique "special edition". Not quite my cup of tea,,,,
but I'd LOVE to see a 16ga semi-auto based on the semi-squareback Browning silver; 20ga frame, 28" VR with tubes, same engraving. Now you WOULD get an order from me for one of these!
Just a thought...........
Cheers,
R*2
Flawaterfowler
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:36 pm  Reply with quote

Now THATS a swell idea as well.....
CitoriFeather16
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:33 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks Charles! Your dedication to the gauge is really appreciated. These guns should sell quickly and become more valuable over time.

Thanks again!

Matt
Rrusse11
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:34 pm  Reply with quote

I believe the only other readily available gas auto in 16ga is the Rem 1100, which I notice has appeared on Gunbroker NIB, here's a chance for Browning to take on the competition. Don't own an 1100, and only recently gotten into semi-autos in any shape or form. I must say though that shooting my 12ga and 20ga SKB's is a revelation in recoil reduction.
The 1100 from all reports is a high maintenance gun, the browning gold/silver winchester SX 2&3 active valve system appears to be much simpler, very durable and reliable.
All part of the 16ga revival that Charles, and others, may indeed have started.
Let's keep the ball rolling! {:o)
Cheers,
R*2
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:17 am  Reply with quote

Some one asked why a rib? Answer, some folks like them and some folks need them. I'm one who needs them. My first serious shotgun and the one I cut my wingshooting teeth on had a rib. My brain is now "imprinted" on the secondary sight picture a rib projects.

I never aim a shotgun, because I am always focused on the target with both eyes. It is impossible to aim like this. We cannot see a clear enough sight picture to aim anything if we steadily focus both eyes on the target. It's exactly like throwing a rock at an object. We just do it with pure hand/eye coordination by focusing on the object we want to hit. However, because we interject the image of the shotgun barrel out where our brains become aware of it, we become accustomed to the particular visual stimulous a rib provides. I almost always shoot high with a plain barrelled gun. Add a rib and I'm dead on again with the same gun.

I could probably offset my tendency to shoot high with a plain barreled gun by attempting to "float" the target over the barrel more. However, that requires thinking about the shot while attempting to actually shoot. This is another impossiblility. We cannot do something well that requires a basic motor skill like hand eye coordination while thinking about it. We can think about doing it or we can do it, not both simultaniously. Thinking about doing it is a distraction that breaks our concentration every time.

It is better to think about the shot before doing it, then just focus our minds on the target and let our natural hand eye coordination perform the shot. If we hit the target, then taking a moment to remember the process helps us ingrain it into our brains so we can successfully repeat the process. That is called visualization or recall. Every time we correctly repeat the process, we reinforce the recall into our minds. In time, if we do it right enough, we become imprinted correctly and we become accomplished shots.
We do not think but simply react to the visual stimulous of the target. we simply point and swing the gun through the target and pull the trigger at exactly the right instant all without conscoius thought. The target breaks and we gain even more faith in our shooting ability through positive reinforcement.

The key here is to understand that once something like this works well for us, changing it will only screw up the process. Why bother. If we need a rib on our barrels to shoot straight, because that is what we are used to, why go changing it. Just because some other person insists we don't need a rib or that we are aiming dioes not make it so. He is not shooting the gun. We are. Ignore him. He is just another distraction to be avoided or ignored. In short, keep it simple by finding out what works for us and avoiding what doers not. then practice it until perfect. simple.
Rrusse11
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:13 am  Reply with quote

16gg,
Sir! The best summary I've ever come across on the nature of shotgun shooting.
Thank you,
R*2
spunky16
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:42 pm  Reply with quote

just a check to see if my membership has been recorded and thus find a logo a my post.