16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Field cleaning kit & TCS cleaning jags
duckdup
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:10 pm  Reply with quote

My 30+ year old Otis kit is falling apart. I need a new one but would welcome any advice if there are better pocket kits for cleaning up a field or marsh oops. Also, has anyone used the TCS jags and do they work?

An ounce of fives, the smell of nitro in paper hulls, wet gundog, and Hoppe's #9...
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:05 pm  Reply with quote

duckdup,,

Sorry sir that nobody answered your post, usually does not happen here on the 16 gauge forum.

I do not have an Otis kit, unfortunately I do not believe they are being made any more.
I do not carry a small cleaning kit on me into the woods. However we do have an NRA Shell cleaning kit available in the Expedition Just in case something crazy happens while hunting.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
skeettx
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:16 pm  Reply with quote

https://otistec.com/cleaning-kits/shotgun-cleaning-kits/multi-caliber-shotgun-cleaning-kits/

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=otis+shotgun+kit&_sacat=0

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:33 am  Reply with quote

duckdup,

As usual skeetx has the answers, still being made and in NY, the Upland pocket cleaning units are available.

The multi unit for $149.00 is similar to the kit we keep in the Explorer/Expedition vehicles.

The pocket units look pretty nice, might have to pick one up some time.

Notice however the small pocket units do not have a 16 gauge cleaning set up, however you can always add your own to the Upland unit.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith man

Last edited by Pine Creek/Dave on Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:39 am; edited 2 times in total

duckdup
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:37 am  Reply with quote

Thanks Dave & Mike for the replies. I was a bit surprised that none here had an alternate favorite kit to wax poetic about.

I have what is now sold as the Wing-shooter kit and it has saved many hunts over 30+ years. Duck hunting on public land, I usually canoe a mile up a creek to a marshy area that is near impossible to walk into. Other days I'll haul a small sledge of decoys about a mile to a pond. All that work to get away from the sky-busting crowd makes having a compact kit I can tote a must have. I'm also keeping a full clean-up kit in my vehicle.

Seeing no better recommendations, I guess I'll get a new Otis kit.

Thanks gentlemen,
--Doug

An ounce of fives, the smell of nitro in paper hulls, wet gundog, and Hoppe's #9...
duckdup
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:43 am  Reply with quote

PC/Dave
If you order an Otis kit, the 20ga plug with two patches works on 16ga guns.
--Doug

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:47 am  Reply with quote

duckdup,

Roger that, I do prefer a snake bore, however that would definitely work in the field, really well.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

duckdup
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:53 am  Reply with quote

PC/Dave
The double patch will catch less cockle-burrs than a bore snake in the field. Smile

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:36 pm  Reply with quote

duckdup,

I hear ya buddy, however I have only needed the pocket cleaning set 2 time in over 50 years of Grouse hunting. Took a bad header on a mountains side and plugged one of my good double guns, walked back to the vehicle for the gun cleaning kit that day. Lucky it was only 2 miles away at the time.

I do like the idea of carrying the pocket kit however! Saves the walk back to the vehicle for sure. Flushed a half dozen Grouse on that gun plugged walk to the Vehicle that day.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

duckdup
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:41 pm  Reply with quote

PC/Dave,
Only a half dozen? Smile

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:52 pm  Reply with quote

duckdup,

Believe it or not in that era, 6 was a slow day, even so not being able to shoot was incredibly frustrating to a serious Grouse/Woodcock hunter.

Had to walk with a breech open, shells removed gun, to make sure of no instinctive reaction gunning. As my brother once told one of my clients, they only way to keep Dave from instinctively gunning Grouse is to make him walk with a breech open, shell removed gun, or better yet no gun at all.

I use to give him 1st shot and still take the Grouse with the 2nd barrel, he would get seriously upset learning to Grouse hunt in this manner. Course I had to walk with an unloaded gun after 2 birds.

My Grandfather grew up in these Pa woods when you could shoot 10 Grouse a day, he taught my Father to only gun true Double Grouse shots, man those men could gun Grouse. I am darn good, however not in those mens league, by any stretch of the imagination. My brother is a world class Grouse gunner also, it took him a might longer to learn, because of the continued Grouse population decline.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

My 40 year old niece's Christmas gift to me this year. Even the girls in our family understand our traditions. My Grandmother was one of Annie's Rough Riders of the World, she was the best shot with any weapon I ever saw. I credit her with my incredible eye sight, and instinct for gunning Grouse.
[URL=http://www.jpgbox.com/page/56246_800x600/] [/URL]

Last edited by Pine Creek/Dave on Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:08 pm; edited 2 times in total

duckdup
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:04 pm  Reply with quote

Laughing Razz

Woody402
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:59 pm  Reply with quote

The TCS jags work awesome!!! They are the best way to clean a bore. For cleaning lead out of a slug gun also. I use OO steelwool and some solvent a few passes and the lead is it’s all gone!!!!

They are made locally to me. The guys that makes them is a wacko with lots of crazy stories about him locally but makes a great product. So if you deal directly with him expect that. I bought 20-30 of them in every gauge and caliber for next to nothing when a local shop was going out of business.
duckdup
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:00 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks woody402. They looked like a good idea, but looks can be deceiving. Appreciate the first hand account.

Woody402
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:30 pm  Reply with quote

duckdup wrote:
Thanks woody402. They looked like a good idea, but looks can be deceiving. Appreciate the first hand account.

It works slick!!!!