16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Sporting Clays with a Rem 31
chilly460
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:33 am  Reply with quote

Took my new to me Rem 31 out today for a round of sporting clays. It's a far cry from my dedicated 12ga sporting guns, but it felt pretty good shooting some 5 stand. 28" IMod barrel with solid rib, so it's a fairly heavy gun, I found it was much better soaking up recoil then the 870 16ga I brought along as well.

Ended up shooting an 81 on a course with a lot of true doubles, my best is an 87 on a softer course with dedicated SC gun, so I'm well pleased. As discussed in another thread, this gun appears to be a factory Improved Mod. It's definitely tight, but I didn't feel it was a big handicap on 25yd targets today. I had one instance when I lost a target in the trees and got to the second bird in a true pair late, figured yardage at 55yds, and it absolutely hammered the easy straight away target. I think this will make a fine Dove gun come this fall.

Just a fun day out on the range. Gun needs some TLC and I need to find a new buttplate as this one is cracked, but it's just a neat old pump from the days of milled steel beauties.
Jgoodman1933
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:02 pm  Reply with quote

Chily 460 I also bumped into a fine looking 31 only diference is mine does not have a rib. I finally got a day off TH I am going to try it out on a nice sport clay course in WI. rumor has it the slide action is built on ball bearings but I dont know if this is true.

chilly460
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:32 am  Reply with quote

There are no ball bearings in the slide, I believe that name came about because 31s are such smooth action pumps. The term may have snuck into marketing materials as well, I'm not certain though.

I have Wingmasters, M37 Ithacas, BPS, and have owned a few others....I can say the two 31 I own are the smoothest pumps I've tried. I did have a JC Higgins 20 that was very easy to actuate, but it had more of a loose feel to it, the 31s feel nice and tight as well.
jmeili
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:27 am  Reply with quote

If you ever run into a WWII vet who was trained as an aerial bomber gunner they will tell you how much they liked the 31's. They used them, model 12's and 37's to shoot clays to learn lead. Shot hundreds and hundreds of rounds. 31's had a great reputation for reliability. One elderly gent told me one problem was when a paper shell would get wet it would stick and the op rod might bend and break.
Jim