16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Dehumidifier for gun safe in garage
8mmFan
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:11 pm  Reply with quote

Does anyone here store their guns in a safe in an unheated garage? What is your experience with the effect of an electric wand on humidity? Also, does anyone here know exactly how these things are supposed to work against humidity?

My safe is temporarily in my garage until I get my basement remodeled. I live in an area of of fairly high humidity. I just bought an electric wand and installed it in my safe. I had put THREE silica packs in there a month ago (before I had the wand) and when I pulled them out today they all indicated that they were full.

Will an electric wand do a better job of keeping the humidity neutralized? 8mmFan.
mikecp
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 8:46 pm  Reply with quote

The wand should work out fine. It basically creates heat thus creating pressure unside the safe. With a constant pressure moisture will not enter the safe. I still use silica in mine as well just for good measure; and in case of a power outage when I may be gone a few days.
At my previous home here in Ohio I had my safe in a unheated garage for 8 years and had no issues whatsoever. Just make sure you have the right size rod for your safe (bid enough).
Mike
ALMODUX
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:04 pm  Reply with quote

Definately use some sort of positive pressure dehumidifier, and not any sort of negative pressure/collector style. The latter will pull exterior humidity into your safe, continuously. Took quite a while to get this concept to take hold in the Army. Wink

If you know you have a hermetically sealed space/safe, the collector-style is what you have to have.
sbs470
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:03 am  Reply with quote

Many years ago Australian military stationed in Malaya had a small heating alement fitted in their lockers to stop their uniforms getting mildew I presume the US military had them also.
My brother lives in Cairns Queensland which is very tropical , wet and high humidity.He has a low wattage light bulb fitted and has never had a rust problem.
good shooting
sbs470
Snipe Hunter
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:39 pm  Reply with quote

I have heard of people claiming to have good results with light bulbs also. I use Goldenrods in my safes. You are supposed to mount them low because as they warm the air it rises, causing circulation. Our humidity in Florida is almost always above 90% and the Goldenrods have worked perfectly for me for many years.

Skip

8mmFan
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:35 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, guys. Very helpful. I put the goldenrod (actually, Liberty Safe Co.'s copy of it) in my safe, along with a Remington dessicant "pack." I'll check things out every few days. 8mmFan
ALMODUX
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:02 pm  Reply with quote

Just use the rod. The dessicant is a collector, and will pull moisture to it. That may help for a bit, but it's in conflict with the heat rod. Very Happy
8mmFan
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:05 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks Almodux... I will pull it right away. Who'd have thought they'd invent a dessicant that would pull moisture INTO your safe? Seems rather counterproductive... Thanks again. 8mmFan
cvdawley
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:13 pm  Reply with quote

I have used a "canned" version and have had no problem with a safe in my basement
ALMODUX
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:24 pm  Reply with quote

In many areas of the country, the humidity stays under 50% for much of the year. In the southeast and some other areas, it stays way over 50% and maybe over 90% during the summers. If your humidity levels are on that low side, a collector dessicant will likely work as advertised, as you have your home, doors, rooms, and an HVAC unit that are reducing the amount of humidity that can get into the air around your safe to begin with. In the southeast, there's little we can do to reduce the humidity. It's everywhere and gets into everything, unless it's truly sealed. Very Happy
jkingrph
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:00 pm  Reply with quote

My gun safe in bolted into a back corner of my garage, now heated and air conditioned. I also have a rod type dehumidifier installed and in the 7 years I have had the safe, have never had a rust problem. When I had to replace the original heat pump I upgraded from a 3 to 4 ton unit, high effiency model, and added an insulated garage door( overhead type) and adding the 2 car garage to ac, with new unit my electric bill (all electric house) dropped by about 40%.

Two Pipe Shoot
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:24 am  Reply with quote

8mmFan wrote:
Does anyone here store their guns in a safe in an unheated garage? What is your experience with the effect of an electric wand on humidity? Also, does anyone here know exactly how these things are supposed to work against humidity?

My safe is temporarily in my garage until I get my basement remodeled. I live in an area of of fairly high humidity. I just bought an electric wand and installed it in my safe. I had put THREE silica packs in there a month ago (before I had the wand) and when I pulled them out today they all indicated that they were full.

Will an electric wand do a better job of keeping the humidity neutralized? 8mmFan.

I had my safe in a basement once, and swore I never would again. I constantly kept things oily and opened the door only on low humidity days, and had no damage. I worry about drying out the wood more than rust...