16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Introductions
Old Ironsights
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:20 pm  Reply with quote

Greetings!

I have decided that, rather than mess with my gun and change its gauge I will try to figure out how to load and shoot short 16s.

My Gun is a 16ga Drilling with a Roux type underlever which looks to be made in Suhl by Wilhelm Richard Jaeger. The rifle caliber is 9.3x72R.

http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y180/MrMisanthrope/Roux%20Underlever%20Drilling/

The chambers are only 2-1/4" though. Full & ExFull chokes.

One reading I have of the proofmarks suggest 1200 somthing BAR, but I'm uncertain there.

What I'd like to do is use this gun for light sporting - Crows & Rabbits, Foxes/Coyotes, maybe small pigs. The 9.3 rifle is certainly capable of it, but reloading the short 16's is tougher for lack of data. (I've already contacted the Low Pressure group).

Any additional advice would be appreciated. Very Happy

Oh, and Howdy Old Shatterhand ... Yep it's me. Wink

sprocket
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:30 pm  Reply with quote

Well I guess the best way to tailor loads to your gun is to reload - head down to the ammo forum and learn about reloading - do a search for presses and short loads, etc. - and I'll be the first to point you to the Low Pressure Group too - it's a stick post at the top of the forum - you'll find many low pressure loads that could prolly fir in 2.25" shells well enough.

Welcome on
Old Ironsights
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:37 pm  Reply with quote

sprocket wrote:
Well I guess the best way to tailor loads to your gun is to reload - head down to the ammo forum and learn about reloading - do a search for presses and short loads, etc. - and I'll be the first to point you to the Low Pressure Group too - it's a stick post at the top of the forum - you'll find many low pressure loads that could prolly fir in 2.25" shells well enough.

Welcome on

Have to reload... because I have to hand-cut my hulls to 2&1/4"... Shocked

However, I have an 8 segment crimp starter and a 50's vintage 16ga Lee Loader... which is all I really need other than data and an understanding of how shot size/shot cups work. Wink

Mod 97
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:07 pm  Reply with quote

Where, on God's green earth, is the Daley Empire?

Thanks, and Welcome Aboard!

NR

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:26 pm  Reply with quote

Mod 97 wrote:
Where, on God's green earth, is the Daley Empire?

Thanks, and Welcome Aboard!

NR
It's only green on Da Mayor's Roof ... but Emperor Daley certainly would like to think Chicago is God's Gift to America...

Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:28 pm  Reply with quote

Old Ironsights wrote:
sprocket wrote:

Welcome on

Have to reload... because I have to hand-cut my hulls to 2&1/4"... Shocked

However, I have an 8 segment crimp starter and a 50's vintage 16ga Lee Loader... which is all I really need other than data and an understanding of how shot size/shot cups work. Wink

Might I recommend that you use a roll crimp. You can certainly increase available volume by using the roll crimp. Example a loaded roll crimped 2 9/16 th inch shell has about the same interior volume as a loaded fold crimped 2 3/4 inch shell.

You can usually pick up an old 16 gauge roll crimper on eBay for less than $20.00
putz463
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:56 am  Reply with quote

Might I recommend that you use a roll crimp........

You can usually pick up an old 16 gauge roll crimper on eBay.......

I second the roll crimp sugestion, to optimize usable volume. And the equipment investment isn't bad. Ebay, Precision Reloading or Balistic Products for the crimper and if your planning on reloading the reloads I also would suggest obtaining a hull conditioning tool at the same time. Sometimes a spent roll crimped shell needs the mouth opened up a little in order to get the wad in the next time around. Good luck with project, Mike

Dave Miles
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:16 am  Reply with quote

Might I recommend, that if your going to roll crimp. Use the Paper hulls.
No need to condition hulls after the first load, and they are easier to trim down to the desired length. Wink

Old Ironsights
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:28 am  Reply with quote

Thanks... though is volume a good thing? i.e. does more volume = less pressure? This is an OLD, though NitroProofed gun...

Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:17 am  Reply with quote

You need a minimum amount of volume just to get all of your components encased in the hull. Since your intended quarry is rabbit and crows I would think that you would probably want a minimum of a 7/8th ounce load in the neighborhood of 1175 fps and due to the age of your gun would want to keep the chamber pressure in the 7000 to 7500 psi range. Most of the moderate burn rate powders such as Unique, Green Dot and Solo 1250 which produce the best pressure to velocity rating on light loads are fairly bulky. Using the components that you listed and trying to get them all stuffed into a Cheddite hull of 2 1/4 inches is going to absolutely require all of the available volume you can get. You might be able to get a 1 ounce load into the 2 1/4 inch hull but I couldn't last night when I was screwing around with possible loads to meet your needs. In fact I had to remove the wad petals to get the 7/8th ounce load to roll crimp properly. There is no way I could have come close using a fold crimp. Now if you wish to use a 3/4 ounce load you can probably leave the wad petals on and get a good crimp but you still will not get it to fit into a 2 1/4 inch hull using a folded crimp. I don't even think that a Hartung crimp would hold reliably.

I guess this is a long way around to answer your question but available volume has very little effect on chamber pressure. The primary factors in determining chamber pressure are burn rate of the propellant, resistance of the crimp, friction of the wad on the inside of the hull/barrel, shot charge weight and force of the ignition source.
Dave Miles
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:34 am  Reply with quote

He could always buy some RST, 2-1/2" low pressure loads.
There is no reason he can't shoot a 2-1/2" low pressure load in a gun with 2-1/4" chambers, that is Nitro Proofed.

http://www.rstshells.com/shells-best.htm

I shoot 2-3/4" low pressure loads in my short chamber Damascus guns all the time.

Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:23 am  Reply with quote

I know Dave but some folks get absolutely anal when chamber length and pressure in older guns is discussed.
cvdawley
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:16 am  Reply with quote

Go with the 2.25 cases and roll crimp....roll crimps are so hot looking!!!
Old Ironsights
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:54 pm  Reply with quote

Twice Barrel wrote:
I know Dave but some folks get absolutely anal when chamber length and pressure in older guns is discussed.

Well, ther's a difference between anal and safe...

I want to be safe and not push an old gun off face. I also have really no idea what I'm doing when it comes o shot shells. Slugs, yes. Shot, no.

A Full/ExFull 100y/o+ gun with short chambers is a whole new ballgame to me.

putz463
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:40 am  Reply with quote

What is a Hartung crimp?