16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Happy 4th of July
skeettx
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:16 am  Reply with quote

Hello All,
I do not normally leave posts like these, but today I will. What a wonderful country we live in.

Last evening, I drove 15 minutes East to the local Shotgun club. Shot 4 round of skeet with a Win 12 16 gauge skeet grade pump and my Browning Superposed Round Knob long tang 16 gauge O/U. Stopped by the local Rib place and brought home Bar-B-Cued Ribs, with GUNS in my SUV.

This morning I arose with no fear, joined some buddies for breakfast with GUNS in the trucks. Then we drove 15 minutes north to the R/P shooting range and shot rifles and then moved over to the pistol range and shot pistols, You know, except for hunting, it does not get any better than this.

GOD bless America !!!!!!!!!!!
Birdswatter
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:36 am  Reply with quote

I'll second that. We take all of our hard-earned freedoms for granted. Not many places in the world where you can regularly participate in the activities mentioned unchallenged. Many thanks and a salute to the forefathers who had the balls and will to kick major redcoat ass, and also to my brothers here and abroad who continue the good fight! Happy 4th!!!
HM Collins
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:06 pm  Reply with quote

I concur that few understand how fortunate we are to live in the United States. I have lived in European countries that know no such liberties as we. My sincere thanks to our military past and present that insure our freedoms.

Harry
bustingclays
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:06 pm  Reply with quote

Gentlemen:

My alarm on the bedside table went off this morning at 5:10 am and the radio announcers were on the third line of the Declaration of Independence. I layed there and listened to the remainder as they rotated through the lines. Got up, walked the dog in my quiet little subdivision and then went out to Town and Country Gun Club in Maryville IL with Ms. Eslie (16 ga 1946 LC Smith). Loaded the high house and low house with birds and shot 5 rounds of skeet when my friends arrived about 8 am.

Thanks Dad and all the others who have served this country so that I can enjoy my freedom!!!

Dr. 16 Gauge
Scolari
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:34 pm  Reply with quote

I couldn't agree more. Thanks for the recognition.
Paul Scolari, Major USAF (Retired)
hoashooter
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:46 pm  Reply with quote

Our veterans are often overlooked except for this day.May we respect them for all sacrifices each day of every year---Without them we would have no personal freedoms---Too often we take our freedoms,priviliges and rights for granted.May God bless you all Wink Cool
onefunzr2
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:26 am  Reply with quote

Great sentiments, one and all. However, saying happy '4th of July' demeans what actually happened 232 years ago in Philadelphia--INDEPENDENCE!!!

It's Independence Day. It's the day our country was born, which just happened to be on July 4th, 1776. Why and how that commemoration has evolved into celebrating a day on the calendar is beyond me.

I would think, especially on a forum that is worldwide in scope, saying Happy Independence Day would be much more informative than happy 4th of July.

When Christmastime comes around, will you wish us Merry\Happy December 25th???

arvo11
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 4:05 pm  Reply with quote

Happy Independence Day Onefunzr2, and everyone else. You are absolutely right Onefunzr2, two hundred plus years ago we become free of the yoke of tyranny. Our founding fathers didn't just declare Independence, they FOUGHT for it, with their lives, fortunes, reputations. Ben Franklin was so right when he said that they must all "Hang together, or we will surely hang singlely". What they did was definitely considered to be "Treasonable Acts". Thank God for men like that, and for our young men and women who are in harms way today.