16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  TRIBUTE TO JOHN BROWNING & OTHERS .
Charles Hammack
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:36 pm  Reply with quote

I have been ask as to why , I chose to make the changes to the new 16ga Society BPS .

I designed the gun , TO PAY TRIBUTE .

1. THE GUN , JOHN BROWNING . I wanted a gun that would reflect in modern day standards EXACTLY WHAT JOHN BROWNING WOULD HAVE DONE IN THE 1920'S with the Model 17 Remington had he made it a CUSTOM GRADE TODAY .

2. THE GAUGE , BILL HANUS . This is to thank Bill Hanus for the continued support of the Gauge over the last 40 or so years , he was and still is its biggest proponet .

3. THE ENGRAVING AND LOGO , This is to honor the folks of THE 16GA SOCIETY, the Managing Director of the site for keeping THIS HONORED GAUGE ALIVE AND WELL.

To sum it up I wanted the only gun that I could get for us to be a CUSTOM GRADE UPLAND BIRDGUN AT AN AFFORDABLE PRICE . I know some of the prices that a CUSTOM GUN starts at , the price of the wood alone on this one is a $300 upgrade and we got that and the engraving for the price .

I APPLAUDE EVERYONE FOR THE CONTINUED SUPPORT OF THE 16GA .

LONG LIVE THE 16GA.

SO IT BEGINS .

Regards Charles
Jgoodman1933
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:29 pm  Reply with quote

Charles you hit a home run on this one. Thanks very much for your hard work and time spent on this project. I look forward to talking about upland birds with you again soon!!!!!!!!

MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:43 pm  Reply with quote

Cool

Last edited by MaximumSmoke on Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
budrichard
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:34 am  Reply with quote

I think if you do some research you will find that Ithaca did not license the design from Browning but simply became aware that the Patent had expired and had its lawyers search and verify Ithaca could make the gun. The '37' comes from the date of introduction, 1937.-Dick
Captain_Billy
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:40 am  Reply with quote

I'll have to agree that the BPS 16 I touched did not feel/handle well at all but wasn't some effort made to lean that blocky stock down some with the 16 Ga. Society gun? That forend wood is a killer, too bad it isn't more like the older issue model 37's and 31's. Regardless I support the effort in getting this gun out and thankfully in 16 ga. I think lots of folks will enjoy this gun. I think sometimes that most people have never had the joy of the real good handling model 12,31 and 37's as I have been fortunate to have in my hunting/shooting life. This gun will serve todays shooters well and bring more people to the 16 ga. world of hunting.
XVI'er
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:22 pm  Reply with quote

I can hardly wait to get my Society gun. I think it will combine the best of handling as well as a good design. I have shot a BPS Upland 20 bore for years, and it has done everything I wanted. I have a friend that has shiot the same BPS for 25 years and he could get any gun he wants. It all boils down to what gun fits you and your shooting style.