16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Best 16 ga. hull to reload
jschultz
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:20 am  Reply with quote

My hunting loads are assembled using Rocky Mountain Cartridge all brass hulls because they last forever and can be loaded with any safe published load using currently available plastic wads. I use low pressure recipes with velocities around 1200 fps. Patterns are beautiful and birds drop.
Upland Carpenter
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:36 pm  Reply with quote

jschultz

I've been considering the purchase of the RMC brass hulls. You mentioned you use LP loads. How do you know they are low pressure? I realize RMC says you can use any published data but the data is hull specific. How do you know the pressures you are generating? If you were to load the exact same components in say a Cheddite hull vs a Win Compression formed hull, you would most likely get significant pressure differences. Have you had any of your brass loads tested?

Marcus

''Common Sense isn't common" -Lefty Kreh
jschultz
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:49 am  Reply with quote

Excellent question. When I first became interested in all brass hulls, I phoned Tom Armbruster and had a long discussion with him about loads for same. He gave me two Trail Boss loads that he pressure tested and several other loads that he tested for Double Hammer. The low pressure loads that I use are well below 9000 psi (8300-8600 psi) and using loads in that pressure range in an all brass hull will not increase the pressure beyond safe. If you are in doubt about using any published load in RMC’ all brass hull, send the load(s) to Tom for testing. Be aware that your brass will be destroyed in order for Tom to provide pressure data.
Upland Carpenter
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:14 pm  Reply with quote

jschultz

Thanks. I believe I may contact RMC in the next few weeks. What payload are you using in your 16ga? Do you load the RMC hulls for any other gauges?

Marcus

''Common Sense isn't common" -Lefty Kreh
Hootch
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:33 am  Reply with quote

I am interested in the brass hull loadings thread here. I just disregareded them thinking they were used strictly in Black powder loadings.
You are using smokeless loadings using what data?
How many times can brass be re-used?
How do you re-size the brass?
How are they crimped?
Excuse the barrage of questions, but my curiosity is peaked.
last dollar
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:07 am  Reply with quote

I bought 1000 primed Fiochi hulls from BP a while ago, and they mostly are on their 3rd cycle. I also have 6 or 800 Purple Federal/estste hulls that have been used 3-4 times. I shoot a lot. I guess I dont see a problem. Buy a 1000 hulls and they should last a "normal" shooter a long time...All 1oz loads BTW.
jschultz
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:33 am  Reply with quote

I use smokeless powder 1 and 1 1/8 oz. loads that are designed for straight wall hulls that have published pressures between 8000 - 9000 psi. with velocities around 1200 fps. I also use 28 Ga. brass hulls from RMC and Dave makes brass hulls for all gauges.
jschultz
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:31 am  Reply with quote

Hootch wrote,
“I am interested in the brass hull loadings thread here. I just disregareded them thinking they were used strictly in Black powder loadings.”
“You are using smokeless loadings using what data?”
I use published loads in the 1200 fps range for straight wall cases that are well below 9000 psi (8300-8600 psi). Using loads in that pressure range in an all brass hull will not increase the pressure beyond safe. If you are in doubt about using any published load in RMC’ all brass hull, send the load(s) to Tom Armbruster for testing. Be aware that your brass will be destroyed in order for Tom to provide pressure data.

“How many times can brass be re-used?”
According to Dave at RMC one guy that he knows, after over 4 years of reloading wore out the primer pockets. Dave fixed the problem by cutting threads in the primer pockets and inserting new pockets.

“How do you re-size the brass?”
Unnecessary if used in the same gun and impractical if not. However, it can be done.

“How are they crimped?”
They're not crimped. All brass hulls are sealed the old fashioned way using overshot cards and a glue such as Ducco cement. A more traditional seal is with “Water Glass” available at pharmacies. After I write the load data on the overshot card and put it in the hull, I seal the load with Ducco cement by tilting the hull and applying a small amount of Ducco where the card meets the hull. I then rotate the hull and the cement will flow around the edge of the card and seal it to the brass. If you ID your loads by writing on the card, make sure that you use indelible ink.

“Excuse the barrage of questions, but my curiosity is peaked.”
They were all good questions.
Bowbldr
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:14 pm  Reply with quote

Where can I find the brass hulls and loading info.

Will these function in a pump without resizing between loads.
Lefty Dude
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:55 pm  Reply with quote

I also use and reload brass shells for my 16 doubles.

There was quite a few posts last year on brass shells, do a search. Tom's Trail Boss powder load is there for Hammer Double shells.

I use smokless powder and plastic wads as well as the fiber wads.
I resize my cases after four reloadings. After each use I resize the base, using the MEC 16 SuperSizer.
Loading brass shells is a labor of love, it's all hand work. I do use my MEC for charging the cases with shot.

Balistic Products has hand tools, wads, etc.

Try here for additional info:

http://www.circlefly.com

If you use them in a pump, you can not use them in a double. They will have to be resized. I shoot some in my Winchester 97/16, they enlarged and had to be resized before I could use them in the double. I only did this once.