16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  16 IS the grouse gun of 1905
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:41 am  Reply with quote

The text of a 1905 Hunter Arms Co. advertisement pamphlet entitled The Old Grouse of Willow Hollow.

“Often during the early summer I had heard his drumming; once I had watched him swaggering up and down his favorite log, and once again I saw his sleek brown mate, with her brood of fledglings, disappearing in the underbrush. I knew well their range among the beeches on the hill, but today-the opening day of the season-Sport and I hunted tirelessly for three hours without striking even a scent. Then I thought of Willow Hollow, and-here we found them. Rapidly we worked down the fringe of hazel bushes, along the golden rod that glowed in the fence corners and through the scarlet sumachs. Then at the edge of the willows we picked up the scent. Rushing along in his impatience, Sport stopped and turned so suddenly that he was almost thrown on his side. Quickly he recovered himself and began roading carefully up wind. Twice he hesitated and then, thirty yards away, pointed staunchly. Realizing the impossibility of getting a shot in the tangle of the willow copse, I hurried around to the other side where, from the vantage ground of an open spot, I began hurling clods into the underbrush. Out he came with a roar of beating wings-the wily old cock-and finding himself between two fires (the dog and myself) rocketed straight up through the treetops; only for an instant I saw him, but it was enough. Throwing my gun well above I pressed the trigger, and as the sharp crack of the little sixteen-gauge smith echoed through the hollow, the old strategist of the beech ridge paused an instant in the air and then plunged back into the thicket! A few brown feathers floating down the October breeze, an empty shell-these alone told the story of the woodland tragedy. Later we picked up three of the young birds-fine plump grouse and strong of wing-but it was that shot through the treetops, that plunging fall of the great brown cock, that will linger in my memory. And when in years to come I shall dream of the past, there will come again before my mind's eye the picture of old Sport standing proudly before me, his tail beating with pride, his eyes glowing, and in his mouth the old grouse of Willow Hollow.”

“For ruffed grouse you will want a Smith Hammerless of either twelve or sixteen gauge, the sixteen gauge of course having the smaller killing circle and requiring more accurate holding than the larger bore. Grouse shooting means plenty of hard work, hard walking over difficult ground, and it is therefore desirable to choose a medium weight gun-say one of seven or seven and one half pounds for a twelve gauge; and six and one half to six and three quarters pounds for a sixteen gauge-with right barrel modified and left full choked. The Hunter One-Trigger is simply perfection in grouse shooting."

"Our art catalogue illustrates Smith Guns ranging in price from $25.00 net to $740 List. You can have it for the asking. The Hunter Arms Co. Fulton N.Y.”

H.H. Hipshot
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:27 am  Reply with quote

Howdy Doc,

I have never seen a grouse live, and likely never will, but I did have a backyard full of whitewing dove this morning. I guess they were having a convention, or maybe a sunday-go-to-meeting, because all the seed we had put out early was long gone.

There is also a field of maize about two miles from my house that is currently full of dove, but alas, it is well within the city limits and right next to GB tollway.

And speaking of LC Smiths, I have a double that I bought several years ago, knowing that it needed a lot of work, like removing some barrel dents, a new buttstock or repair, and reblue. Maybe some trigger work as well. I thought that I might take it on as a project, but it is obvious that I will never get around to it. Can you recommend someone to do an overhaul? Since it is just a field grade, it's not worth spending a whole lot of money, but I would like to rescue it and get it back to doing what it is supposed to.

Happy trails,

HHH

revdocdrew
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:21 pm  Reply with quote

Jimmie: This is a good situation to go over the gun in person with a smith, review repair needs and options, and then decide if it can be returned to a shootable condition at a cost you are comfortable with. Lots of options in TX:

Larry Feland
Katy
281/ 550-3553
http://www.felandgunsmith.com/index.htm

Kirk Merrington in Kerrville, TX
http://www.kirkmerrington.net/
830-367-2937

Ron Rutledge
McClelland Gun Shop
Dallas
214-321-0231

Tony Koing
Terrel
972-563-5971

Gunmasters
Plano
Kent Branson
972-423-0121

Lou Williamson
Hurst
817-285-0064

Nagels
San Antonio
210-342-9893
http://www.nagelsguns.net/gun_smiths.htm

Please let us know how things work out for you.

Chicago
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 4:07 pm  Reply with quote

Great story and timely as the urge is building for my setter, GSP's and I.

Chicago Mike
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 4:11 pm  Reply with quote

Another great Smith catalog cover Cool

Chicago
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:39 pm  Reply with quote

Now those were the days, take your dog and shotgun on the train........Mike