16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Fort Collins area ... any good gun shops?
grouse gunner
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:08 am  Reply with quote

I'll be in Fort Collins at the University of Colorado for a week soon. There's some chance I'll be able to sneak away for a short time. Are there any "must see" gun shops in the area within a walk, bus or cab ride of the university? I'm particularly interested in someplace that may actually have Decot and Ranger glasses in stock to try on although I'm aware there isn't much chance of that.

Thanks.
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:01 am  Reply with quote

gg - The Colorado State Golden Rams are a bit sensitive about being confused with the party boys & 'lost in time' hippies in Boulder Wink
Boulder does has Bertram & Co however http://www.bertramandco.com/
And Fat Tire Brewery is in Ft. Collins Very Happy

grouse gunner
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:48 am  Reply with quote

Sorry about that! No disrespect intended. I'm just an ignorant hapless out-of-towner who was rushing out of the door and wanted to get the post in before I left. In the future (as I usually do before I travel), I'll research my destination thoroughly!

I don't get too territorial though about too many things...but, it sure has it's place under the right circumstances. And under certain circumstances can really cause a big faux paus. At least I didn't confuse Ann Arbor with Columbus, Ohio. One of those is my Alma Mater, but as I said, I'm kind of a non-comformist on some territorial issues so I won't even mention which one I attended!

Thanks for the response about the shop and brewery (but for this one trip the brewery will not be appropriate...that will be for another time) and the gentle reminder about which school is where.

Thanks again.
nutcase
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:52 pm  Reply with quote

I don't know about "must see" but there are a few shops there. Also depends what you are looking for.

One of the better/best outdoors stores in Colorado in my opinion is JAX Outdoors. They are on the main drag about a 1/2 - 1 mile north of downtown.

On hwy 14 east out by the freeway there is another, Rocky Mountain something or other. Caters more to clay sports, rifles and reloading. Bought my Rizzini 16ga there.

In downtown there is a collectors type of shop with a lot of civil war and other military items.

There was/are a couple other shops in town. Never heard of the one in Boulder revdocdrew mentioned. There is Gunsport in Boulder also. But Boulder is probably almost 1 1/2 hour drive.

paul driscoll
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:58 am  Reply with quote

By all means in less than an hour south you are in Boulder. Steve Bertram is actually in the basement of Gunsport Colorado. Which has been a gunshop for aboyut 25 years. E-mail me with the date you will be here , I'm in Erie, and I will arrange the rest. I do know of one spot that you can at least view a small selection of Parkers, Lefevers, 21's , Colts, Ithacas, and Fox's. Do you want to fish , hunt or shoot clays while you are here, after Sept 1st on hunting, let me know. E-mail me at pauldriscoll@earthlink.net
grouse gunner
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:37 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips. Paul, I'll send you an e-mail
dogon
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:01 am  Reply with quote

It depends on your tastes but Jax is a good place and really interesting way to spend some free time. Out on Colo. 14 just before you get to I-25 is Hamblin sales "they may go by another name" it's a great shop that always has a good selection of new and used. If you have the time be sure to look up Steve Bertram and Gunsport in Boulder. Steve is a great guy and a wonderful gunsmith. Then if you have more time take the trip down to Denver and go to Mark Reynolds shop. This is probably the nicest shop in Colorado. Mark carries real nice doubles and has a great selection bamboo fly rods, you wont be sorry you made the trip. He is on south Broadway just before you get the Hampden.
ColoradoPaul
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:50 pm  Reply with quote

Hey, watch it there Revdoc, I’m one of those old hippie types with an undergraduate degree from CU. Went there right after the Army! It has a fine engineering school. Much better than CSU’s, just ask any of the CSU graduates I work with!

GG:

I second Revdoc’s advice on Bertram & Co and Fat Tire Brewery is in Ft. Collins. I’d also recommend New Belgium Brewing in Fort Collins. They do some nice Belgian style ales and the lighter ones are just the ticket in the summer. If you want to escape for some sporting clay’s, pm me. I’m always looking for an excuse to skate out of the office for an afternoon. Perhaps you could get together with two Pauls.
nutcase
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:32 pm  Reply with quote

ColoradoPaul wrote:
Fat Tire Brewery is in Ft. Collins. I’d also recommend New Belgium Brewing in Fort Collins.

Not to be a nitpicking PITA but that is all the same place. Tours everyday and you can get a free sampler platter. Only one though. Sad

ColoradoPaul
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:21 am  Reply with quote

Thanks, Nut Case. You're correct. Fat Tire is made by New Belgium. Same brewery, different styles of beer. I wouldn't want GG to become confused in his quest for beers.....