16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Range Bag & Window Sticker + Things to make you go Hmmmm
Old Ironsights
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:09 pm  Reply with quote

A nifty little range bag and sticker arrived in the post yesterday while I was out...

That's pretty cool. Didn't even know I was getting one. Cool

--------------------------

Got fed up trying to get a good chamber measurement and not wanting to buy a box of factory shells I can't shoot, and not getting anywhere with using OEM unfired hulls, I decided to just do a chamber cast of the dang thing.

Fortunately, I had just enough cerrosafe.

Sorry for the lack of a metric Caliper....

http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y180/MrMisanthrope/16ga%20chamber%20cast/

(Link to Bigish pics above)

Note the 16/.410 GaugeMate, Chamber cast, 2.5" (cut down) Cheddite and 2.75" (2.735) OEM Cheddite.

The chamber obviously ends at 2.66" and the forcing cone begins at 2.31" (roughly). The diameter decrease at the forcing cone is just early enough that the .410 Gaugemate Silver won't chamber completely..

Bore: .686" Chamber .709 Base .739

Diameter begins constricting at 1.860" to .735. At 2.250" it is constricted to .732, by 2.5 is .711 and by 2.66 is .709"

SO... maybe it is a 2.5" gun after all.... Confused

510wells
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:22 pm  Reply with quote

Good thing you mentioned the sticker. I hadn't noticed it in the bottom of the bag and would have lost it. Cool looking Very Happy
Dave Miles
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:57 am  Reply with quote

If your bores are .686", you may want to get the barrel walls measured.
I don't know what brand of gun you have, but I know a Parker 16 gauge has a bore of .662". Standard 16 gauge bore is .665"-.667". This would put your gun's bores .020" oversize. If it was a Parker, I wouldn't buy it.
Not saying your barrel walls are too thin, because I know nothing about your gun. Just giving you a little advice. Better safe than sorry.

Old Ironsights
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:45 am  Reply with quote

Dave M. wrote:
If your bores are .686", you may want to get the barrel walls measured.
I don't know what brand of gun you have, but I know a Parker 16 gauge has a bore of .662". Standard 16 gauge bore is .665"-.667". This would put your gun's bores .020" oversize. If it was a Parker, I wouldn't buy it.
Not saying your barrel walls are too thin, because I know nothing about your gun. Just giving you a little advice. Better safe than sorry.

It's actually been pointed out to me that because I'm such a n00b at shotguns I failed to recognise that the chamber taper I mentioned is just that - a chamber taper, and the forcing cone, which I didn't measure, is what measures out to be .686 at the "lip" of the chamber.

But no, it's not a Parker. It's a 100y/o German Drilling from Suhl.

Terry Imai
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:52 am  Reply with quote

I sent in my membership (finally) and was quite pleased with the quality of the bag. I'm hesitant to put the various sportsman organizations that I belong to because it seems like a good advertisement for "rip me off" when I have my truck parked...

BTW, how do you get the emblem by your name to show that you're part of the 16 Gauge Group???

Thanks
Old Ironsights
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:09 pm  Reply with quote

Terry Imai wrote:
I sent in my membership (finally) and was quite pleased with the quality of the bag. I'm hesitant to put the various sportsman organizations that I belong to because it seems like a good advertisement for "rip me off" when I have my truck parked...

BTW, how do you get the emblem by your name to show that you're part of the 16 Gauge Group???

Thanks

16ga will send an email/PM you and you answer his questions. Doesn't take too long. Wink