16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  WHEWWWWWWEEEEEEEEEEEEE YHIPPPPPPPPPPPPPPIIIIIIIEEEEEEEE
chopper
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:20 pm  Reply with quote

My hope would be that the 16 ga is added as an official NSSA event. Demand for a quality haul would be a "new/emerging market" for the ammunition manufacturers as well as the makers of firearms. Seems to keep the 28ga alive and well...

Brad
alaskajake
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:44 pm  Reply with quote

I do not see the point in all of this I've got a secret stuff. It strikes me as juvenile. If you have something to say, say it. Otherwise stay quiet until you do.
Charles Hammack
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:27 pm  Reply with quote

Hello AlaskaJake :

You had better be glad that I have the essence of a 9 year old and want to bring VALUE CREATIONS out to all of us , for if I DID NOT POSSESS THIS TRAIT, it is a very good chance that you would never have any products for the 16ga .

So be happy with me , that I find this very EXCITING AND FUN TO DO.

THIS IS FOR US ALL , it would be a shame if I found this dull , boring , and lacking in excitment .

WWWWWWWWWWhhhhhhhhhhEEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWEEEEEEEE YHIIIIIIIIIIIIPPPPPPPPPPPIIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEE

Regards Charles
Highcountry
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:32 pm  Reply with quote

I am not greedy - - just give me a Win AA type hull. Very Happy

alaskajake
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:39 pm  Reply with quote

Forgive me, Mr Hammack, but the only "product" I have seen is an overweight slightly modified standard production pumpgun. The whole exercise was akin to putting lip stick on a pig and sending it to a party. I greeted the highly touted introduction with as much as enthusiasm as I would have shown for a cigar butt floating in a punch bowl. And this kind of stuff is supposed to save the 16 gauge?
mdm1
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:32 pm  Reply with quote

Keep going with your 9 year old self. The BPS was not my cup of tea, and a Double Auto probably will not be either. I like sxs and you don't. That's ok too, because I already have a couple of pretty good ones.

The thing is, "something" is happening. I have seen more 16 gauge shells for sale in more places in my part of the country in the last month than I have seen in a long, long, time. When you sweat being able to find ammo every year before dove season, that is "something". And it feels good.

I am not a machinist, engineer, although I did design an all purpose gun, or much of a salesman, but if I can help some way, let me know.

I can act every bit of 25 on a good day, ask Brent.

Take care.

I think chopper may have a pretty good guess.
grouse gunner
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:44 am  Reply with quote

You will never see a 16 ga. event added to NSSA skeet programs. That game is complex, intense, full and expensive enough already and a new 16 ga. event would just have no interest whatsoever and actually, in my opinion would add nothing to the game. It would add to the life of the 16 as it does to the 28...but would just be practically duplicating the 12 ga. event.

That said, the point of my previous post was that 16 ga. guns would possibly slowly grow in popularity and start showing up more in 12 ga. competitions or any-gauge games like local leagues and sporting clays if a decent hull was available.

Remember however, that the AA16 was available for years and apparently there was not enough demand to justify Winchester keeping it in their product line. There has been a recent renewed interest in the 16. But is it enough to convince ammo makers that a 16 ga. compression hull would be profitable? I would sure like to see it but I'm not hopeful.

By the way, I use my 16 for everything; hunting, fun skeet, league skeet. If I was inclined to shoot registered skeet I'd not hesitate to use it in 12 ga. events there either. It is every bit as good as the 12 for that venue.

Strictly due to the hull quality issue, I'm thinking of going to a 20 ga. identical to my 16 for high quantity clay shooting, then switching back to the 16 for hunting to take advantage of the 16's ballistic superiority. That would all be unneccessary if a good 16 ga. hull was available.
birddog
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:22 am  Reply with quote

Cool Charles,
Carry on with these endeavors for they will indeed inspire those in the shotgunning world and yes sooner or later the nay sayers will take note Wink
I personally commend you for your efforts, thanks again Exclamation
Charlie
mtjim
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:46 am  Reply with quote

Charles,

You go man! Keep it up!

I'll take any little tidbit as a gain for the 16!
Revdoc
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:46 am  Reply with quote

Is this the $5 window?

I'll take two on tapered hulls.
Two Pipe Shoot
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:11 am  Reply with quote

I agree with grouse gunner on one issue; the possibility of shooting more twenties for targets and doves and saving the 16 for the serious upland hunting. I just appreciate the ballistics of the square load, and I simply love shooting one ounce loads of 6's-8's versus any of my twenties.

A common thread among the posts about 16 GA reloading is the hull issue; I know I should be reloading but I'm not going to make that investment without a dependable source of hulls. Those of my friends that reload say the AA is the only way to go and while I won't discount the efforts of those who are more resourceful than me and can load any hull out there, I'm just not going to get involved if I have to search for supplies. I hope you reloaders don't take offence or think that I think you have too much time on your hands because I really admire what you can do with what's available.

I think it may be a willingness-to-pay issue. While I'm not Midas by a long shot, I'd pay $12.00/ box of 1 oz loads in AA hulls so that I could accumulate enough to get into reloading, and I'm not interested in used hulls unless I shot them the first time. I have three children who will have the opportunity to hunt if they one day choose but for which the ability to handle a firearm will not be negotiable; I'm going to save a bundle by reloading when they get older and I hope this issue will be resolved by then.

Maybe it will take a 16 gauge event, shooting only factory shells provided by some sponsor (Winchester, are you listening out there?) to dramatically increase the demand and production of the selection of ammunition. Perhaps the next stage of the 16 Gauge Society should be to promote events on a regional or national scale that can promote the gauge and burn up a lot of ammunition.

Will $12.00 per box case price get their attention to produce a AA? Would anyone else pay that or have I lost my mind?

Reno

Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:19 am  Reply with quote

A couple of years ago someone from Remington hinted at an improved hull to replace or augment the black Game Load hull. I would be quite happy with a compression formed 16 gauge Gun Club hull.
A5Mag12
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:33 am  Reply with quote

You may well have lost your mind but I'd probably get 4 or 5 cases. If they were good hulls that would last me a while.
grouse gunner
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:27 am  Reply with quote

Two Pipe- If ever you get a chance to get your reloading buddies to work you up some 7/8 or 3/4 oz. 16 ga. loads you might just change your mind about reloading! They are a joy on the clays field and will [b]comfortably give you every target you deserve. They increased my enjoyment and practical use if the 16 immensely and did the same for everyone I've shared them with. Learned all about them right here on this site. The hulls are bad compared with the other gauges. But you go with what you have and for me the end result is worth the efffort. They are much, much better than the heavier 1 oz. factory loads for targets. I only pass through Wisconsin on my way to Iowa for Pheasants once in a while. Usually in a hurry to get there but in no hurry on the return trip. Next time I go if you are anywhere near my route, I'll hook you up with some samples. You'll love them.

Twice Barrel- Like you,I'd be thrilled with compression formed Gun Clubs too. I'd sure like to see that. Lets keep our fingers crossed. If memory serves, I thought Charles once hinted at a "tapered" (synonymous with compression formed?) hull possibility. I sure hope so. Charles...you are the man!
H.H. Hipshot
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:49 am  Reply with quote

Re: hulls.

While I am not a high volume shooter or reloader, I have learned how to make do with Remington, Federal, or whatever hulls I am able to pick up at the clays range. Now, I have not chronographed or patterned the loads, but they seem to work about as well as I shoot.

I am a little short on wads, making do with whatever BPI is selling, but some breakfast food along with the shot seems to result in a pretty good looking crimp.

I doubt that I would pay more than $6 for a box of AA's, and only then if I had the appropriate wad (I hear that Claybuster is making one now.).

As with 12ga and 20ga, reloading allows me to pretty much have the load that I want, while not paying too exhorbitant a price.

Happy trails,

HHH