16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  16 Gauge Benelli! Who Would be Interested??
bird buster
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:25 am  Reply with quote

Question Just curious as to who would be interested and what it would take to convince Benelli. I currently have a Sweet Sixteen Japan and Citori Sixteen and love both.
I had a new version 1100 16 gauge but got rid of it. It was just too heavy. I have considerd buying a Belgium Sixteen but have held off hoping that Benelli might make a limited run. I have talked to their customer service but they claim there is not enough market. That seems to always be there response. We all know that the market is small but you would think they would do a limited run like Browning on the Citori or either pre sell a few with money up front.
I have a Benelli M1 12 gauge that I use for bird and rabbit hunting in the thick stuff. I had a M1 in 20 gauge but it was too light and I could not hit a rolling elephant with it. I think a 16 gauge on its own frame from Benelli would be perfect at about 6.5lbs. What does it take to convince Benelli?
Foursquare
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:06 am  Reply with quote

I'd send them a deposit today, if they would do it.

There's the rub, I think it's got a snowball's chance in hell! Sad

Pete
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:04 am  Reply with quote

The problem with getting an off shore manufacturer to make a limited run is the wholesaler/importer. That is where you have to start. Browning and Miroku agreed to make the 2001 and 2003 runs because they had a commitment from the US buyers before the fact. The guns were essentialy paid for up front. No off shore maker is likely to do so on speculation.
Brian Meckler
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:52 am  Reply with quote

I think the snowball would have a better chance in hell.
mod11rem
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:23 pm  Reply with quote

I'm not sure those Benellis are all they are cracked up to be. A lot of guys around here have them, but I know two people who got pure lemons. The guns never would cycle right with any ammo they tried. Who needs to be able to shoot as fast as you can pull the trigger anyway? I can't get on another bird that fast. I saw a guy burn up near a case of shells in the dove field this fall with one of these. My old mod 11 pulled in a limit with just a little over a box and a half. this guy might have gone thru as many shells with one of my old hump backs, but he wouldn't have done it near so fast and he would have been a whole lot more sore for the effort!! In the afternoon, when the birds were flying higher and faster, I pulled out my Fox Mod B (M/F) and was still dropping them like flies. This other guy had to watch... he was out of shells. later mod11rem

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:49 pm  Reply with quote

Once again....Its not the arrow but the indian. Wink However, there is not a lot one can realistically say against the Benelli if comparing one auto against another. Everyone I know who has one loves it. Sounds like the guy needs to shoot a few cases at his local trap and skeet club.

I still like my Remington 1100 12 and LT20. They do their part if I do mine, and they've been doing it a long time now. Therefore, I see no reason to scrap them for a "plastic fantastic" supermodern autoshucker.

PS: Is anything really what its cracked up to be? Heck, a guy could crack up just trying to find out. Just trying to crack you up Very Happy
Foursquare
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 9:42 am  Reply with quote

16 GG is right. The only way to make this happen is to get a US distributor (Davidson's, Sportsouth, Jerry's, etc) interested.
They could place an order for say, 1000 guns, and guarantee payment to Benelli.
That's the only way a major manufacturer would even consider it.

Good luck, but I doubt it will ever happen.

Pete
RWG
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:14 pm  Reply with quote

Beretta doesn't make a 16 ga. gun. Hasn't for many years (back in the 1930s they may have made a few SxSs in 16, don't recall). I doubt their subsidiary Benelli or Franchi would. Demand, world wide, wouldn't support it. Nice idea, but I just don't seem them tooling up for a new action and bore diameter.

Russ
bustingclays
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:42 pm  Reply with quote

Gentlemen:

As long as we're asking - how about a Beretta 391 in 28 ga with 28 inch barrels.

perhaps this is another pipe dream too....

Dr. 16 Gauge
CitoriFeather16
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 8:10 am  Reply with quote

I bought a 20 ga. Montefeltro a year ago. I immediately put 4 boxes of shells through it and I noticed this morning the swelling in my cheek is starting to diminish! It kicks so much it makes my Sweet 16 feel like a .410! I think a Benelli 16 ga. would be an awsome uplands shotgun but they would have to put the weight around 6-61/2 lbs. My 20ga weighs in at 51/2.

Matt
Scolari
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 8:18 am  Reply with quote

I would love to have one. I just bought the M1 20 ga and love it. I must have gotten a good one. One of the reasons I bought it is because my other 20 ga auto's aren't reliable feeding the light 7/8oz loads.
I would love to have a good 16 ga auto. I did have an 1100 but sold it. It was way too heavy for me. I would even settle for an 1100 on a smaller frame. There just isn't much choice out there now for 16 ga auto's. I thought about the BSA 16 ga auto but can't find out if anyone likes them. I'd hate to buy one that is a junker. I have enough of those.
KyBrad16ga
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:04 pm  Reply with quote

RWG wrote:
Beretta doesn't make a 16 ga. gun. Hasn't for many years (back in the 1930s they may have made a few SxSs in 16, don't recall). I doubt their subsidiary Benelli or Franchi would. Demand, world wide, wouldn't support it. Nice idea, but I just don't seem them tooling up for a new action and bore diameter.

Does Beretta own Benelli too? Wow, that means they own Benelli, Franchi, Stoeger, Sako, and A. Uberti? They certainly market all of these guns totally separately.

I am fairly sure there is was a Beretta 16ga sxs that was made up to the early 1980's, but I could be wrong about that. Plus, they DID just make the 16ga Citori's that alot of people here rave about.

Back to the poster's original question... like you, I doubt that Benelli would make a 16 gauge, however, I COULD see Franchi doing it because most of their guns seem to be geared to the upland market, which is where the 16 shines. Why not a 16 gauge Franchi? Either the AL48 or a 716 would be sweet.

KyBrad

P.S. I watched the latest episode of Benellis "American Birdhunter" on the Outdoor Channel the other day and they were way over loaded for desert quail that were flushing close, using an SBE II 12 gauge. Talk about overkill, plus being heavy... Rolling Eyes
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 1:14 pm  Reply with quote

RWG wrote:

Russ

I believe Beretta has made more than a few 16 ga SXS for European market. I've seen several for sale over the years that were brought back from Europe probably by returning servicemen. The few I've seen were made after 1960 or 1970. They are basically similar to the various 470 series guns and appear very well made. In fact, one of the posters here bought one a few monthes back that could not have been made any earlier judging from the picture he posted.

That said, I don't think Beretta of America or any of the former Beretta importers like Garcia have ever brought any here for sale. That is a shame.
RWG
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 7:59 pm  Reply with quote

KyBrad16ga wrote:
RWG wrote:

Does Beretta own Benelli too? Wow, that means they own Benelli, Franchi, Stoeger, Sako, and A. Uberti? They certainly market all of these guns totally separately.

I am fairly sure there is was a Beretta 16ga sxs that was made up to the early 1980's, but I could be wrong about that. Plus, they DID just make the 16ga Citori's that alot of people here rave about.

Back to the poster's original question... like you, I doubt that Benelli would make a 16 gauge, however, I COULD see Franchi doing it because most of their guns seem to be geared to the upland market, which is where the 16 shines. Why not a 16 gauge Franchi? Either the AL48 or a 716 would be sweet.

KyBrad

P.S. I watched the latest episode of Benellis "American Birdhunter" on the Outdoor Channel the other day and they were way over loaded for desert quail that were flushing close, using an SBE II 12 gauge. Talk about overkill, plus being heavy... Rolling Eyes

Yes, Beretta is the parent of all of those companies.

Not sure if Beretta ever made a citori for Browning. I'm pretty sure they were all made by Miroku in Japan. Even the 16s.

According to my books Beretta made a series of SxSs from 1934-64. These were the 409PB, 410E and 411E. These were available in 16 ga. The 424, 426E, 452 sidelock, and 626/627 series of SxSs were either 12 ga. only or either 12 or 20 ga. Not sure about their European models (the french and germans loved the 16 ga.). Its most likely that Beretta stopped production of all 16s about the same time. Probably middle 1960s. Anyone have the beretta history book? Russ
KyBrad16ga
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 1:51 pm  Reply with quote

RWG wrote:
Not sure if Beretta ever made a citori for Browning. I'm pretty sure they were all made by Miroku in Japan. Even the 16s.

According to my books Beretta made a series of SxSs from 1934-64. These were the 409PB, 410E and 411E. These were available in 16 ga. The 424, 426E, 452 sidelock, and 626/627 series of SxSs were either 12 ga. only or either 12 or 20 ga. Not sure about their European models (the french and germans loved the 16 ga.). Its most likely that Beretta stopped production of all 16s about the same time. Probably middle 1960s. Anyone have the beretta history book? Russ

Sorry, brain cramp, you are right... it was late. I meant to say the Browning Citori 16, which as you rightly point out have all been made by Miroku of Japan.

Like you I have seen a Beretta 16ga sxs Model 411 SilverHawk I think. I believe that Beretta also still makes the single shot 412 and 413 in 16ga for the European market, but I could be wrong.

I would love to see Beretta follow up their 28ga with a 16ga O/U even if it IS on the 20 gauge frame.

Brad