16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  SxS 16ga. sighting plane nice and wide for bird hunting.
fowler
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 6:53 am  Reply with quote

Just like fish and water. SXS,s wide two lane highway sighting plane works like radar tracking those demon grouse. Some find the SXS wide plane a hinderance,but I find it a asset. The double barrels SXS and English stock two trigger double the zenith of bird hunting. Some will like the auto or OU and even the pump. What ever works for you. How many are on the SXS platform?
Larry Brown
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:51 am  Reply with quote

Fowler, I got off the platform a long time ago and am now a permanent passenger on the sxs train!

Seriously, as you say, some people feel that wide profile helps; some think it hurts. I grew up with a single shot, then went to an OU, then a pump, but started shooting better (both birds and targets) when I went to a sxs. Some people do have trouble with the wide profile if they've shot single barrel guns all their lives.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:52 am  Reply with quote

In the close thickets, under low light conditions, and where rapid close in shooting is needed I'd agree with you 100% Fowler. It being the first SxS I've ever hunted with, my AyA taught me that this season. I found the wider plain of horizontal barrels easier and faster to pick up in my secondary vision under these circumstances. My quick shooting was never better.

However, in the open and in good light, where longer shots beyond 20 to 25 yards was the norm, the narrower plain of my O/U or Auto barrels gave me a crisper, more refined image of the bird to barrel relationship. The more refined pointing needed for the longer shots was easier with them and I scored much better.

The experience has taught me that both barrel types have their strong points. It is up to me to choose the best tool for the job. Now that I have at least one of each that I can shoot reasonably well, I can do so.