16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Do ruffed grouse eat acorns?
Mod 97
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:32 pm  Reply with quote

Looks like a good crop of acorns in Da UP . . . can I expect to find pa'tridge mingling in the thick spots near the oaks? Haven't flushed any yet, but thought I'd ask those more experienced.

Thanks!!

NR

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:57 pm  Reply with quote

They love acorns!! Here are a few pics of the crop contents of a couple grouse. The picture with the brown seeds, has pieces of acorns in it too.

I just took this picture today with my new (used) Ugartechea 16 gauge. I love it and am never going back. What a joy to shoot. Smile

Hunter&Hound
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:16 am  Reply with quote

It's amazing to see all the different things grouse eat. Particularly early in the season where there are many different plants still alive, as well as bugs.

It's also interesting to see how their feeding habits change from early season, to mid season and into winter. It definitely influences where I look for birds.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:57 pm  Reply with quote

You'd better believe it. They especially like white oak acorns ( as do a number of edge and woodland dwellers). A good way to find a fine grouse coven is to locate a stand of white oaks just up hill from a wetland area or a quiet river or stream run with spruce, pines, willow, or aspen nearby. The grouse tend to work their way up hill from their morning water source during the day and fly back down to cover later in the evening. If you can find a place that has sand or gravel also available, just load the gun and work it carefully in the afternoon. You will find grouse there almost for certain. Good deer cover near white oaks almost always holds grouse as well. Logging roads that run through such areas are also hold grouse, especially in the afternoons. They need the sand and fine gravel for their gizzard, and water too to help them digest their pickings. In the Southern mountains, they like to eat the sweet chinquapins (small acorns from certain species of scrub oak) as well.

A good test of the food source is to bite into one. If the acorn is somewhat sweet, it is one of the favored species. If it is very bitter, then look elsewhere. Both chincquapins and white oak acorns are also good for humans as well. Many of the woodland native peoples depended on them as a good souce of carbohydrates, protein, and sugar.