16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns Wanted or For Sale  ~  WTB 16ga Win M97
Bronco
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:08 am  Reply with quote

Found a 12ga locally, but want a 16ga as I am already set up to load low pressure ammo thanks to our reloading forum Smile I promise not to alter it for cowboy action. Thanks, Bob
Birdswatter
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:21 pm  Reply with quote

Here's one.......

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/content/community/gun_inventory/inventory/wheeling/win_sg/1015798_win97_whe.jsp?hierarchyId=11929
offhand35
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:59 pm  Reply with quote

I saw a VERY nice Model 97 in 16ga last week Newington Gun Exchange in Newington, CT, 26" bbl [I think], CYL bore. I did not get the s/n, but had 90-95% blue on it, and looked better than many that I have seen.
If I was looking for a 97, I know that one would have followed me home.
I don't remember the price, except that it was very reasonable. NGE's prices are often the best!

Bronco
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:50 am  Reply with quote

Thanks Offhand. The folks at Newington were most pleasant. The gun is a consignment piece. The stock has been shortened so I made an offer. Waiting to hear. Bob
offhand35
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:22 pm  Reply with quote

Excellent, Bob! I have bought several guns from Newington Gun Exchange, and they have always been great on the phone and in person. I hope this works out for you, keep us posted, please.

Bronco
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:07 am  Reply with quote

I will give them a call today to inquire about my offer. A buddy in WI sent me pics of one at his local shop. Looks great except some yahoo drilled the top of the receiver for a scope base, 2 holes now plugged with screws. It is difficult for me to picture in my mind a '97 with a scope Shocked Bob
conifer
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:18 am  Reply with quote

I have one....unaltered (except for buttplate) ...mirror bore ....550. I am in Gainesville
Bronco
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:10 am  Reply with quote

Offhand,
Newington accepted my offer on the 16ga M97 and will ship on my C&R license. When you saw this piece, did you happen to notice if it was tight? How did the action cycle? It is one of the late guns, made in 1954, so if the finish is decent, I doubt it is worn out. Thanks for the lead. Will let you know how it shoots. Bob
Bronco
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:49 pm  Reply with quote

Offhand,
Received the M97 today, nicer than I expected. Thanks for the lead. The guys at Newington were a pleasure to deal with. Bob
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:51 pm  Reply with quote

I would enjoy hearing about how the gun shoots for you, as I am intrigued by them. A 97 is on my short list along with a bps. You mentioned low pressure loads also. Are you not able to shoot modern ammo in a 97?
Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:05 pm  Reply with quote

The John Browning designed Winchester Model of 1897 undoubtedly has the strongest action of any repeating shotgun. True it was designed for the then standard 2 9/16th shell but it was easily converted to 2 3/4 inch shell simply by lengthening the chamber. I don't know why Winchester chose not to convert it to 3 inch in their 12 gauge guns. I suppose they didn't want to cut into the sales of the Model 12 Heavy Duck guns.
Bronco
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:06 pm  Reply with quote

I load low pressure 16ga 2.5in shells for my doubles. They work perfectly well in my M12. I shot my first 25 at the skeet range last month with this gun and ammo. My 97(1954) is actually newer than either of my M12's and is chambered for 2.75in shells. Will give it a workout at the range this weekend and report. Bob
Bronco
PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:04 pm  Reply with quote

Took the M97 to the range today, skeet. It is a much more mechanical feeling than the M12's, more noise and not quite as smooth. In it's defense, the m12's have many more rounds through them. The 97 does not appear to have been shot much. No plug, holds 6 in the mag tube and the barrel appears new. The stock was shortened and Pachmayr pad added. About 1.5in shorter than what I am used to on the M12. I figured I would try it before ordering a replacement as the wood is in such nice shape. My shooting partners could not believe it was in such fine shape. By the way, I shot a 21 with this gun using factory Fiocchi #9, one oz loads.
Best $400 I have spent lately.