16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Need a decent flexible shotgun case.
Mattkcc
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 12:31 am  Reply with quote

I finally got me a nice Citori 16ga and now I need to fine a decent case for it. The problem is I don't have a ton to spend after buying the gun, Christmas and daughter's never ending college expenses. It seems shotgun cases are either cheap or expensive without much in between. Can I find a case for $40-$60 that will protect the gun and it's finish?
Brad6260
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 5:05 am  Reply with quote

Matt,

Best bang for the buck. Period!
Go to ABLE AMMO's web site and look at the BOB ALLEN 550t gun sleeve.
For under $40.00 they are a classy,great quality,durable and protect just fine.

Regards,

Brad

Enjoy your Citori !
justchris
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 11:52 am  Reply with quote

Sierratradingpost.com has a good basic Boyt case for $25.00!
I bought one of the rifle cases.
Good quality, great price.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 12:18 pm  Reply with quote

Try Wally world. Any well padded case long enough for the gun will do. They sell generic cases for under $20 and sometimes better on clearance after the season. The local ones here sell a brand called Big Horn or Black Horn. They have a sheeps head on the logo. they carry Allen too.

Don't leave the gun in the soft case at home. These soft cases can pick up moisture on a humid day at the range. They will then sweat and a good gun can rust up quickly under the wrong conditions. Find a dry closet to do that if you've no gun safe and get one of those treated socks to keep it clean. Store the soft case flat open and hanging to let its inside breath and dry out between transports.

If you have to store your gun long term, the Browning box and plastic shipping sleeves complete with the anti rust paper in them will do nicely. just wipe the gun down first with any good rust preventive gun oil, put the barrel/forend and the action/stock in their respective bags with the paper, place in the styrofoam shipping block recesses, and close her up. Check it every so often and rewipe it down semi annually or anytime you handle it. I've stored guns in a well secured locked, dry closet for years like that without any problems. The key is the rust preventive brown paper strips. They last for years and work very well.
hoashooter
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 11:58 pm  Reply with quote

ok-won't preach on gun care---16gaguy is right--but remember stupid mistakes put dings on stocks---I know--how many of us have carefully placed that gun in in the safe only to---ooowww-we hunted with that same gun for a week without a SCRATCH Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
TJC
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 4:38 am  Reply with quote

If you are set on a soft case, can't go wrong with a good Boyt case. A bit more $$ for their better ones but well worth it. And there is a difference between them and the cheaper ones you buy where ever.

Why spend good $$$ for a nice gun and put it in a $25 case. It's like the guy that books a $5000 hunt, buys a $1500-2000 rifle and puts a $79 scope on it.
I just don't get it. Question

16ga.
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 12:09 pm  Reply with quote
Site Admin
Site Admin

14dec05

Mattkc-

If you're looking for a softcase to protect your gun from the bouncing around in the bed of a pick-up while you're changing pheasant fields... I like Wild Hare's Gunboy case. Light and it folds easily for packing. Google it because I haven't looked for one in a while. --16ga.
Mattkcc
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 1:11 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks for the info., I think I'll head to Cabela's and check out some cases. I've got plenty of cheap cases so I'll check out Boyt. I was looking on line and Cabelas carried several Boyt cases and a Cabela's case that looked like a copy. The only difference I could see was the name tag had all the same materials for $25 less.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 1:36 pm  Reply with quote

Good idea. Cabela's brands are all made by good companies and go for a much better price. Boyt used to make nothing but great stuff. However, like all other companies, they now sell some cheapos too. The problem with the cheapo line of most brand name stuff is it is also usually shoddy. Boyt's best stuff is quite a bit higher than other brands of equal quality. I'd compare the cases item for item and buy the bestest for the leastest regardless of brand name.

Here is another idea. Get a Doskinal takedown shotgun case. Cut one side of the foam insert so the Citori action/stock and barrel/forend assemblies each have a seperate snug berth. Then get a 1" thick piece of foam, put it under the cut piece, and trim to the size of the case lid. Result-- fully padded, lockable fitted case for under $50 bucks.