16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns Wanted or For Sale  ~  16ga Drilling for sale
greg
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:31 pm  Reply with quote

My friend asked me to post this for him. Reason for sale, 9.3x72r is not his cup of tea.
Franz Kettner 16ga SxS with 9.3x72r rifle under.
barrels 26 1/2in scope Kahles approx 4X, detachable claw mount see thru.
pop up leaf sight @ mid rib.
engraving scroll.
top lever with cocking indicators, two triggers with front set, and selector for rifle.
sling eyelets, approx 40 rounds of 9.3
very tight action, good shooter.
asking $3000.00
send me private message if interested and I will supply pictures and more info.
Thanks.
greg
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:57 pm  Reply with quote

i see there have been some lookers but no replies. Is it the rifle caliber or the price that turns you off?
Hootch
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:04 pm  Reply with quote

I am interested in a drilling or combo gun. It is the rifle caliber that is not to my liking.

Here in Nebr, going to keep fall turkey open during deer season next fall. Looking for a combo or drilling to hunt with.
JonP
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:37 pm  Reply with quote

JMHO....

The 9.3 x 72R is a very slow, limited range caliber that is hard to find (this cartridge doesn't have much more energy than a 30-30 if I remember correctly). It was popular years ago in Germany and known as the "forester's caliber". Many drillings in this caliber have come to this country and are available for a lot less money. In addition, if this is a post war Kettner gun, it was probably made by another maker and sold under the Kettner label, which would make it somewhat less interesting (Sauer?). There is only limited interest in drillings in this country and drillings using US calibers or at least modern ammunition are much more popular. There are many European calibers that are easy to buy and are practical for hunting (7 x 57, 8 x 57JRS, 7 x 65R, 9.3 x 74R, etc).
Hootch
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:21 am  Reply with quote

I am not at all familiar with this caliber. I see alot of drillings in this caliber however. Is it a straight walled case? It seems rather large to me. Maybe an old black powder caliber?

If energy is similar to 30/30 then it would suit me fine. I use a .32 Special now, (just used it on Saturday morning)

I see that Blaser makes combo guns. I might look into them, but seem rather pricey to me. Can find some older drillings cheaper. AND the 8x57 would suit me fine too.
JonP
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:41 am  Reply with quote

Your difficulty with the 9.3 x 72R will be finding ammo and when you do it will be pricey. Ballistically, this cartridge' energy and trajectory falls off substantially after 150yd...it was used as a brush or woods cartridge.

IMO, outside of the US calibers, the best of the Euro calibers would be the ones I mentioned..7 x 57, 7 x 57R, 7 x 65R, 8 x 57JRS, and 9 x 74R. All of these are available from different makers, S and B producing the most cost effective.
All of these cartridges will take any hoofed game in North America and the last two will even take the big bears in the hands of a good marksman. I favor the 7 x 65R, more or less equivalent to a 280 ballistically but with less recoil. I have bought ammo in the US from 120-175 grain for this caliber.

I shoot a light weight alloy framed drilling when bird hunting. It is a 20 gauge over 22 Savage Hi Power (5.6 x 52R). This little cartridge is great for coyote, raccoons...shoots 70 grain at 3000'/sec and has somewhat more energy than a 223 out to 200yds. This gun without scope weighs only 6 lb 10oz and is very comfortable to carry. Alloy frame drillings got a bad "rap" in the early days because of failing actions, but those built after 1960 or so, stand up to a lot of use, more than you could give it just hunting. These guns are referred to as having a "Dural" frame and often have the same beautiful engravings as well.

Example....this is a 16 gauge/7 x 65R, Dural frame..under 7 lbs without scope.

greg
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:42 pm  Reply with quote

I agree on most of your opinion of the 9.3x72r. The gun is 1927 made.
Most of my life has been spent on shooting drillings. The 5.6x52r , .22 HP, I have a very special load for this gun utilizing a special .224 bullet that obulates to .228.
Devastating load, will share with you.
JonP
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:29 pm  Reply with quote

Gladly take any info on loads for that cartridge. I hope to reload my own once I build up a brass inventory. Have you seen the ballistics on Lutz Moellers copper bullets? A screamer---almost flat to 300 yds..
greg
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:25 am  Reply with quote

Since this is the 16ga site do you want me to post the load here or send me a private message with email address? Don't want to pollute this site with info not pertaining to 16ga.
JonP
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:17 am  Reply with quote

I do plan to shoot them out of a "20 gauge" drilling so you'd best pm me so that we don't raise the ire of the "16" community!!

Thanks!!
skeettx
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:34 pm  Reply with quote

Hello
Please post it here so we can all learn.
These 16 gauge fellas are an understanding bunch, we have to be :>))
Enjoy the day
Mike
greg
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:18 pm  Reply with quote

Newton invented it (.22 newton) sold it to savage for needed funds, savage called it .22 Savage High Power, put it in the 99 lever action and basically killed it. Europeans realized it for a good cartridge in a breakopen action because it is rimmed, it stacks poorly in a magazine, and have kept it alive in custom single shots and combination firearms. Created by Newton by drawing down a 30-30 case to .228 dia bullet. Problem is not much out there in .228 dia bullet selection. i have been developing this load for years and have made a significant break thru. Thanks to bullet maker James Calhoon (www.jamescalhoon.com), for he produces a unique zinc double cavity line of bullets.
These bullets are constructed of a zinc jacket (no core) and are H Manteled in the middle and feature a long hollow point with a deep cup at the base. These bullets are long for their weight due to zinc only construction. Using one of Calhoon's bullets in .224 allowed the bullet to obulate at the base and thus fill the rifiling to .228 bore. This allowed a wide selection of Calhoon .224 bullets to fire accurately in the .22 HP.
APPROACH ALL LOADS INCREMENTALLY DUE TO VARIATIONS IN FIREARMS AND BORE DIA. AND CONDITION.
Bullet Powder primer
57 gr calhoon 25gr imr4895 cci large rifle
case OA 2.0 cartridge OA 2.55
55 gr calhoon 25gr imr 4895 cci large rifle
OA 2.0 OA 2.55
62 gr calhoon 22gr imr 4895 cci large rifle
OA 2.0 OA 2.57
All case preparation normal, except use .224 neck pilot when full length sizing because you are seating a .224 bullet in a case normally designed for a.228 neck.
Norma brass is best, stay away from any brass made from 30/30 drawn down to .22HP
These loads are below factory pressure loads for .22hp, but Calhoons bullet at around 2700 fps are extremely accurate, have excellent expansion, proven on varmints,turkey and deer. One of my all time favorite cartridges , actually outshoots my 22-250 with less noise,less cost, and hits harder.
conifer
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:09 pm  Reply with quote

If your friend could use in trade a BRNO 12/7x57R plus extra set 12/12 barrels with German scope on QD rail mount ...let me know. I happen to like the 9.3x72R...it is ballistically close to 38-55,
Alex
aax1@bellsouth.net
greg
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:36 pm  Reply with quote

will do. I have shot many heads of game with a 9.3 which I once owed. It may not look impressive on paper but we know how those things go compared to actual practice. Did the job for me well. Now there are many new .366, .365 bullets out there for reloading with the interest of the 9.3x65 and 74r now.