16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Federal Hulls: why aren't they more popular?
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:59 pm  Reply with quote

I'm curious why Federal hulls aren't more popular with reloaders. They have a large internal capacity and are thus very versatile, they crimp fine, they are easily found, at least out West where I live, they are durable, and they are the best color for a 16 ga. shell: purple! Razz
Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:20 pm  Reply with quote

Re-loaders are a bit wary of the paper base wad and to some extent stay away from the extra volume which requires a filler to properly crimp light loads which are in vogue these days.

Last edited by Twice Barrel on Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:26 am; edited 1 time in total
mike campbell
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:18 pm  Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes

Last edited by mike campbell on Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:30 am; edited 1 time in total
510wells
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:41 pm  Reply with quote

mike campbell wrote:

I have to heartily disagree that purple is a suitable color for any shell...they should all be RED. Wink

With (shiney) BRASS bases Very Happy

hoashooter
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:14 am  Reply with quote

The Federal is a higher capacity hunting load --most hunters shoot less than a flat(250 rounds) a year.And throw them away Embarassed I posted a question the other day regarding the basewad coming loose and this may also have an influence on the hull not being as popular Question Being a straight walled hulled it presents it's own problems/benefits--- I think the bottom line here is the hull is lacking popularity due to too much internal volume-Folks don't want to mess with with a overshot card when the Remmy's are much more available -and usually at a cheaper price Wink Rolling Eyes
pumpgun
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:51 am  Reply with quote

I've found these hulls to be the most durable of all the hulls currently available. But RGL's are the easiest to find, and are usually cheaper.
spr310
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:45 am  Reply with quote

If nobody wants their Federal hulls, I'll take all I can get. I'll pay the shipping if you just throw them away. I've got a 7/8oz load for them.

Edit. I've got a 2 gallon jug full of remington black hulls I'd trade for some federal hulls.
Hunter&Hound
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:52 am  Reply with quote

I already reload RGL's and Cheddites, so I just don't want to screw around with another hull. I'm sure I could...I've got just about every 16 gauge wad, primer, etc., but I can already do anything I need to do with the two hulls I listed.
scorpion
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:31 am  Reply with quote

Hey spr310,

Do you mind sharing the formula for your 7/8 oz load for the Federal hulls? I have some Federal empties and I'd like to use them for light loads. Would appreciate the info, especially the wad you use. Thanks.

Scorpion

UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:53 am  Reply with quote

The [too large] volume issue is an apt one for light loads, I agree. I've been trimming them for 2 9/16" loads, which they are absolutely perfect for. I can even stuff 1 1/8 oz. into the Fed. 2 9/16" hull by using 19gr. longshot and a Z16 wad with the petals cut off. It's a great hunting load for my tightly choked gun. 1 oz. also fits perfectly into this short hull with the Z16 wad whole.

As for un-trimmed Federal hulls, they are also great for 1 1/8 oz. loads, or spreader loads, both of which take up the extra volume. There are some volumous powders I haven't used, but that are listed in various recipes for 1 oz. loads, that can also be used without the need for os cards or fillers.

As for the color purple, imo, nothing says 16ga. like purple. Red belongs to 12ga., yellow to 20.
woodcock
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:38 am  Reply with quote

With the proper selection of components, one ounce loads in the Federal tubes are no problem in my loading room. I rarely use anything else. When Charles gets his wad into production I expect the same will be true for 7/8 oz.
spr310
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:51 am  Reply with quote

loads for federal hulls. 22gr. universal,fed 209a primer, remsp16 wad. 20 gauge felt wad under shot. 28 gauge fits better. 1329 fps. 9200 psi.
Another load just switches the wad, it uses the BP16g wad.
Another load switches the powder. 18.3 gr of unique.
Scorpian. Which powder are you using. I have 7/8oz loads using about a dozen different powders.
scorpion
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:08 pm  Reply with quote

My powders for 7/8 oz loads are Universal and Clays.

DanLee
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:49 pm  Reply with quote

I like Federal hulls, but usually reload them with 1-1/4 oz of shot for hunting or 1-1/8 oz for handicap trap. Since I don't have any delicate-wand 16 gauge guns at present, the recoil factor isn't a problem. I get a lot of weird looks when I use my old Mossberg 190 at the trap range, not to mention the consternation caused when I show that the bolt can actually be worked fast enough for doubles at skeet!

Dan
mike campbell
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:54 pm  Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes

Last edited by mike campbell on Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:30 am; edited 1 time in total