16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  The gift
Wolfchief
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 6:14 am  Reply with quote

It's Christmas eve and I apologize for the "poetic" urge, which I promise will not last long. But just for today, I'd like to reflect on the inspiration, sometimes agitation, but mostly just plain FUN I've had in the last year or so, conversing with all of you on this forum. Sure, we have our own opinions and we argue and debate over subjects which we know, in the scheme of things, won't cure cancer or raise prices on Wall Street.

But the fact that we have an open forum in which we can share opinions, trade ideas and express thoughts about firearms---ANY firearms---is very truly a tangible manifestation of the peace and freedom we enjoy as Americans.

Every 16 gauge shell I load is another reminder---a symbol that, as an American, I have rights and freedoms of expression that legions of others fought, and still are fighting, for---and many of them won't be coming home for Christmas.....

Cherish your loved ones and the way of life we all inherited---shoot your 16's-----and Merry Christmas, boys.....

cedar16
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 11:07 am  Reply with quote

Nicely stated sentiments Wolfchief. I pondered similar thoughts this morning as I carefully plucked the feathers from a fat young rooster that fell to my 16 at dusk last evening. It has been an incredible season. Merry Christmas everyone!
jparkers
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 11:24 am  Reply with quote

All,

We do live in a wonderful country, and I feel most grateful that I discovered this web site. By far the best one that I have ever spent time on. Was remembering earlier today about the first limit of dove that I ever picked up-- was with a 16 and only took 18 shells as I recall.

Be that as it may, " Merry Christmas to all."

bustingclays
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 1:54 pm  Reply with quote

Gentlemen:

I had similar thoughts today as I burned powder and hurled lead out of Dad's Old Gun (16 ga Fox) while enjoying 4 rounds of skeet today with some close friends. I also bought 8 pounds of powder and 10,000 primers and nobody looked at me like I was going to blow up something. I too am grateful for this country and the freedoms I enjoy - both ballistically and academically Smile

Here is hoping that your powder stays dry and more 16 ga shells are expended next year than this year.

Merry Christmas....

Dr. 16 Gauge
scorpion
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 2:56 pm  Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

Merry Christmas from a 16 gauge owner and fan (I have a 16 gauge 870 from my late father-in-law and a 16 gauge Rem Sportsman 58 from my late father - passed in Sept 2005 - that I really love to shoot trap with) who looks forward to shooting a round trap on Monday, Dec 26.

I thoroughly appreciate the sacrifrifices made by our troops - guys and gals - in Iraq and Afganistan who are keeping us free. Believe me, I know what they're up against and what they're doing. I'm a Vietnam vet who was shot down in Laos in 1966 (rescued in a hail of gunfire) and I'm today an avid shotgunner and Life Member of the NRA.

Here's to freedom, here's to freedom. and here's to 16 gauge.

Wolfchief
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 7:43 pm  Reply with quote

It's sure a pleasure reading your responses. I found a great load that I was fortunate enough to try today. I shoot in a winter skeet league and they opened the club until noon. Being Christmas eve, everyone was in an especially great mood. My load is a real soft-shooter: 14.8 gr. Green Dot in the R-16 wad with the Win 209 primer and the black Rem. Game Load hull. I was fortunate enough to shoot 49x50 in the league competition; just shot behind low 6---but still, my son just got here from Indianapolis, and my 14 year old daughter is teasing him; my wife---who is a very fine cook---is outdoing herself in the kitchen---and it's going to be an outstanding Christmas. The BEST to all of you and yours.....

16ga.
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 11:24 pm  Reply with quote
Site Admin
Site Admin

24dec05

Wolfchief-

Nice, very nice... Merry Christmas. -16ga.
Yellow dog
PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 6:07 am  Reply with quote

From my home and family to yours,
I'd like to wish you all a Merry Christmas and a prosperous New year!

May you be blessed with many wonderful things this holiday season and enjoy the company of friends and family.

May your pot overflow with upland, and the new year bring you many memorable hunts.

Please remember our troops protecting us and others, and those less fortunate than us.

Have a great Christmas,

Chris~

16's
Stevens 530a single trigger.
Browning BPS special field.
Winchester 12.
Parker Trojan
PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 1:40 pm  Reply with quote

All My life I've been blessed with the things in life that really matter; good health, great wife, wonderful son and terrific dogs. Now if I could only learn to shoot better! Laughing
Wolfchief
PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 3:22 pm  Reply with quote

Amen, Parker---I can empathize with that thought---but the practicing to make perfect is fun too....

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 4:56 pm  Reply with quote

Its a bit late WolfChief, but darned well put. Theres nothing like a good hot stove league "discussion", even if some folks get carried away... er... Not me of course Rolling Eyes , Oh never !!. But it really has been fun and educational. It seems the older I get, the more I enjoy these discourses. I'm beginning to think we should have an "old farts" section for some of us...er... not me of course... Wink
Wolfchief
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 9:45 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks to all who replied and the Happiest of New Years to Everyone; may we ALL shoot straight in 2006 !

TJC
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 2:50 am  Reply with quote

Great post and responses. A bit late for the Merry Christmas but here's to a very Happy New Year. May all of you shoot more 16 ga shells this year than you did last year. I know I will. Very Happy

Happy New Year

mod11rem
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 9:39 am  Reply with quote

Wolfchief, I'm really late in replying, but my sentiments exactly. I took my brother in law, son and daughter out the day after Christmas (twice) for a whole day of shooting. Not only did I test my 4 new 16's, I converted my brother in law in to an avid 16 fan and sent him home with one. One more in the fold. He'll be joining this forum soon.

Like Jparkers, I've got a great wife, great kids, a great dog, and a bunch of great guns. It could get better, but I'm not sure how. I take that back, it did get better for me recently just from the fact that I joined this forum. One of my first posts was concerning the sentimental nature of my favorite 16 and it really seemed to fit the flavor of this board. I meant every word of it and everybody seemed to know that. I've learned a lot here and will keep on learning.

Thanks to all you guys and happy new year and good shooting. Mod11rem

Wolfchief
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 4:49 pm  Reply with quote

mod11rem, that's a wonderful way to live the Holidays---exercising your right to spend them outdoors with your 16's and the folks you love. May it ever be so--- More power to you , and to all of us !