16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  24ga
Hootch
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:31 am  Reply with quote

Not the forum for 24 ga, but has been mentioned by me and others on a few threads, just found an American Arms 24 ga o/u. Little cheaper than the Beretta, probably can do the deal before I go on quail hunt!! I think tomorrow I have some horse trading to do.

I am not abandoning the 16ga, be not discouraged. I have already set aside money for Charles's Double Auto in 16ga.

I am a dabbler in the odd. I have a Small Munsterlander and a St Usuge Spainel, I have 16ga's ( some of which shoot only 2.5") 10ga's (and hopefully soon, a 24ga) I shoot a 32 special, and had at one time a Win 307

I am going outside this afternoon and run some rounds through the Citori.
Hal M. Hare
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:46 am  Reply with quote

Sounds like you should go for it NOW! Treat yourself whule it is available. A 24 gauge would be an interesting exercise in reloading as well.

I am looking at a 2 1/2 inch 28 gauge hammer gun--certainly mainstream compared to your 24 gauge--but still a handloading exercise.

Best Holiday wishes,

Brian Meckler
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:30 am  Reply with quote

I have a 24 gauge Beretta, the gun is fun and it is about as efficient as a 410. The only discouraging thing is the ammunition from Fiocchi is poor at best. I think the Europeans use this gauge to kill songbirds. A song bird is on the box of shells Laughing

You will need to reload if you want to take tough game with the load.

Next you need a 32 gauge
Ben Yarian
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:44 pm  Reply with quote

I understand your draw toward the unusual. That is why I snatched up the 24 gauge when my brother and I were dividing up my dads guns. Good luck with it, if you get it.

Ben
jschultz
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:58 pm  Reply with quote

What are standard load(s) in terms of shot weight for a 24 gauge?
Ben Yarian
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:47 pm  Reply with quote

The Fiocchi's that I buy from BPI are 11/16 of an ounce. Reloading for Shotgunners (4th edition) has loads for 5/8, 3/4, and 7/8 oz.

Ben
MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:14 pm  Reply with quote

Cool

Last edited by MaximumSmoke on Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:19 pm  Reply with quote

Cool

Last edited by MaximumSmoke on Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
old16
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:38 pm  Reply with quote

Hey guys any of you fellows might know where one of these 24 ga. might be for sale. Sounds like something to play around with. Thanks Old 16

skeettx
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:06 pm  Reply with quote

Hello

Give this a try

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=119392647

Enjoy the day
Mike
Hootch
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:26 pm  Reply with quote

New owner of an American Arms 24 ga o/u. And he threw in a case of shells.

Same site had a decent 16ga-8x57jr drilling for $2800. Not mint for sure, but that is good mix for me here! Now I have that in my head. Still have money set aside for the 16ga Double Auto coming.

I saw a 24ga drilling on a site too! but the rifle was 25-35, which doesn't do anything for me, but kind of neat!!

24ga's pop up once in a while on auction sites and in Gun List. Most often they are Beretta, American Arms and occasionally a Belgian mfd sxs.

Had to get this transaction done today, headed for South Dakota. Get one last "good" pheasant shoot in!! Have all of Jan, but will need some snow again to do any good here in SE Nebraska.
putz463
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:10 am  Reply with quote

[quote="Hootch"]New owner of an American Arms 24 ga o/u. And he threw in a case of shells.

Congats Hootch, good luck with it.

They carry like 28's and hit like a 20's. Hmmm, where have I heard something like that before???

Good luck in TX, Mike

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:20 am  Reply with quote

Where would one go for reloading equipment? I'm not aware of any good supply or selection of one piece plastic wads. I don't know of any presses or die sets for the gauge as well.

Someone mentioned the 28 ga being inferior to the 24. The dispite the apparent difference in bore size between the two, the actual performance is not significant from a practical standpoint. The 28 has existing data for 5/8 through 1 ounce loads. I've developed a personal 1 ounce load for the 28 that rivals the 20 gauge 1 ounce load in performance. Plus, there is a good selection of one piece plastic wads and equipment to load it. A well designed one piece wad is a huge practical advantage. the 24 gauge lacks one. Modifiying the 28 ga wad for bigger or smaller than 3/4 ounce payloads is not that difficult. Modifying a nonexistant wad is impossible.

I can understand wanting something different to play with. However, I would suggest a prospective buyer to look into the reloading equipment issues and ammo availability before jumping into the 24 gauge pool. I've known several folks who bought one. They ended up with a reather exensive display gun, because feeding it useful loads was a real problem and reselling it at a decent price was not an option here in the states.
AmarilloMike
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:18 am  Reply with quote

http://www.ballisticproducts.com/prodinfo.asp?number=072SG24

http://www.ballisticproducts.com/prodinfo.asp?number=072BW24

http://www.ballisticproducts.com/prodinfo.asp?number=072BW24C

http://www.ballisticproducts.com/products.asp?dept=79

http://www.ballisticproducts.com/prodinfo.asp?number=36524PL

http://www.magtechammunition.com/sitepages/pid103.php?productId=553&ltemplate=details&templateId=14&pageId=103&search=details

http://www.ballisticproducts.com/prodinfo.asp?number=NC24

http://www.ballisticproducts.com/prodinfo.asp?number=PLC24

http://www.ballisticproducts.com/prodinfo.asp?number=OS

I assume a simple reloading kit could be made - very similar to the ones used for the black powder brass shells.

Loading the brass shells (black powder) is very simple. I have loaded and shot several hundered in sixteen gauge this bird season.

I sure agree that feeding the 24 gauge will require more effort than the 28ga or the 20ga. On the other hand your buddies won't "borrow" shells from you.

Best,

Mike

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:45 am  Reply with quote

I love my 16 gauge guns for one reason alone. I can outstrip the 20 gauge by a fair margin. The difference in performance between the two gauges is actually significant. The 16 bore will handle shot bigger than #6 far better than a 20. I can also either buy or create the loads that let me do so. Plus, the 16 gauge guns available today pretty much weigh and handle the same as a modern 20.

Other than weight and handling qualities, I doubt there is enough difference between the 24 and 28 gauge guns to really matter. My 28 gauge guns handle #6 shot well enough to just about match a 20 gauge gun except in over all top velocity. Even then, I can push 1 ounce of hard #6 shot at about 1200 FPS with my pet 28 gauge heavy load using 24 grains of 2400 and a modified 28 ga. Pattern Control wad in a Fiocchi hull. This load will dump pheasant stone dead out to 35 yards. It nails late season ruffs with total authority as well. I've had enough componant selection readily available from a good number of sources for many years now. This has allowed me to really experiment and create so very useful and reliable loads for my 28 gauge guns. Loading target ammo for the 28 is simpicity itself as well.

One 24 gauge plastic wad with a shallow shot cup and two plastic brush wads does not constitute a very big selection does it? One 2-1/2 inch shell is fairly limiting as well. One company to buy them from does not instill a great deal of confidence either it would seem. BP can pretty much dictate terms for lack of competion. If Fiocchi stops importing the shells, then what?

Plus, where can we get a set of dies to load these shells on. I suppose hand tools can be made, but I'd hate to face the job of loading enough target ammo with hand tools to gain basic proficiency with and confidence in my ability with the gun.

I can understand folks urging someone to go buy the 24 ga. gun out of enthusiasm for shotgunning. Perhaps 10 years or so in the past, I might have done so myself. However, how many of us would actully go buy the gun ourselves?

I'd think long and hard, before I'd do so today. I'd urge a fellow to go get a good 28 gauge. It is simply more practical. the performance I'd get out of the 28 will outstrip the 24 gauge, because the componants and tools available alone would allow me to create the loads needed to do so. The 16 is a practical gauge. so is th 28. The 24 is too limited to be so IMO.