16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  New to 16ga
DougK
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 8:17 am  Reply with quote

I just took the plunge to the 16 ga. world.

WOW...

I began researching the 16 ga world for a SxS double trigger that would with stand the harsh Texas Hill Country, for Dove hunting we typically stalk the Dove out of the cedar. The price range was initially in the $600 - $3,000. After looking at both new and used, I ended up with a Stoeger. Here is why:
- The Local Gun shops (including Cabelas) did not have a good selection of used 16 ga.
- I did find several several shops on the internet but I wanted to handle and inspect the gun prior to purchase.
- Looking for a new SxS with double triggers 16 ga. was a challenge. This site was a great help.
- I was looking for a field grade, Hill Country gun which ruled out alot of the engraved and ornate guns.
- It came down to the DeHaan and Stoeger (I recently traded my Beretta sporting clays guns for field grade Huglu and Stoeger guns). Given I am left eye dominant I shoot both left and right handed so I wanted no cast in the stock. The Stoeger has the straight stock. And it turned out my local gun shop had the gun in stock.

After having used the gun over the past few days Dove hunting here are my observations:
- The gun is lighter than the 12 ga. It swings after and mounts the same as the 12 ga. Because of this I was able to take a Dove that I would not have had a shot using the 12 ga.
- The kick is much lighter, yet the punch appears about the same.
- I patterned the gun at 30 - 50 yards. Amazingly the pattern was tight enough at 50 yards to take a Dove at that range.
- The 16 ga appears to be on the same frame as the 12 ga. The barrels are shorter and lighter, hence the lighter weight.
- The only drawback is that you cant get this gun with and english stock.

I ended up spending $300 on a gun that suits my needs, yet I was willing to spend more if I found the right gun. I will be looking for a Parker or Lefever.

Doug
Birdswatter
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 9:45 am  Reply with quote

Welcome to the wonderful affliction!
hoashooter
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 7:52 pm  Reply with quote

You are officially now a member of the elite,congratulations.You will come to appreciate this gauge and down the road might start reloading to expand your ammo selection.This will make this gauge SHINE no more limitations of store bought ammo Cool Cool Cool Cool Wink Wink
16GAwaterfowler
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 4:08 am  Reply with quote

Welcome to the 16 ga world. You have now entered a realm that very few folks enjoy these days. You have shot probably the perfect upland gun, as I did several years ago and gotten hooked on it.
As was stated you will find factory offerings for the 16 are few and those that are out there are a bit on the lame side, hence reloading will become an issue. The performance of the 16 is so greatly enhanced by reloading that it is almost a necessity, I even take mine to the Duck blind with Hevi Shot reloads and do a number on ducks with it.
For hunting reloads, Hodgdon's Longshot powder gives you more than you could ever imagine a 16 ga could do. They have some 1 oz loads listed at 1500 fps, which to my surprise when shot over the chronograph were going 1500 fps. This load with #7 1/2 shot is probably one of the deadliest Dove loads I have ever used.
Have fun with it
DougK
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 9:44 am  Reply with quote

Now I have to justify loading my own shells... I am going to tackle it from the I will save money approach...
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 10:09 am  Reply with quote

Good move Doug. Reloading is about the only way to get the most out of your gun. I can reload 3/4 oz. light loads to 1-1/4 oz. thumpers with shot from #9 up to #4 and any in between for my 16 ga. guns. The 3/4 oz loads hammer skeet targets and lightly built or small game birds dead in the air. The 1-1/4 oz loads will handle any late season pheasant and most duck where legal. Everything in the middle has a use too.

I see the Stoeger as your jumping off point. You probably will not be saving anything once the 16 grabs you. Better you should mortgage the farm now while interest rates are still low. Wink

Last edited by 16gaugeguy on Thu Dec 29, 2005 10:51 am; edited 1 time in total
brdhnt
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 10:45 am  Reply with quote

Doug,

There are two more requirements for a new 16 gauge owner.

One is to have a towel handy as you peruse the the various sites looking for another 16 gauge to add to your collection.(to sop up the drool)

The second is a new address book as you start meeting more 16 gauge lovers out there and you start putting their names in your book to replace those friends who still insist on using 12 and 20 gauges (those godless heathens).

Also, there is a seldom mentioned side effect to becoming addicted to 16 gauges. You soon find yourself wondering about the 28 gauge and after acquisition of your first 28 gauge, you now discover that you have two gauges that will handle ALL of your upland hunting needs.

Enjoy!!

TMB
________
CHEVROLET VOLT SPECIFICATIONS

Last edited by brdhnt on Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 10:50 am  Reply with quote

Like I said, mortgage the farm now. Laughing
mod11rem
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 11:22 am  Reply with quote

Welcome to the group. As above posts attest, you've grabbed the brass ring. I'm about to start reloading too out of necessity. The 16 (esp) in 1 oz loads is perfectly balanced and IMHO more effective than a similarly loaded 12 because of the nice even and dense patterns it produces.

I've recently acquired 4 16's, two of which I have to keep (ONe went to my brother in law who is now sold on the prowess of 16's, and my son fell in love with the other one). I'm going to offer the two on this site to the rest of the 16 guys as soon as I accept the fact that I can actually sell a gun and be happy about it. It's kind of like puppies, the only way I can feel good about it is if they go to a good home and someone who will appreciate them for what they are. later mod11rem

jerry
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 7:32 pm  Reply with quote

Hi Doug,
SX2 here. Hard to admit that handle as there is no 16ga Sx2 (yet) LOL
DougK
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 2:53 pm  Reply with quote

I got the towel as I am drooling over those 16ga. SxS.... Oh My... I need will power...
16 Candles
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 3:35 pm  Reply with quote

Welcome to more fun shooting and hunting! Dove hunting in the Hill Country can be tough on a shotgun. Have the white-wings and collared doves moved in? We are starting to see a few in Oklahoma.
rayb
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:29 pm  Reply with quote

i'm seeing what i think are the collared doves in the Texas Panhandle area where i'm working. Bigger than a whitewing, have a wing band similar to a white wing, a white neck collar, and sound awful, almost like a grackle or something.

wonder if they can be hunted year round? now that would be nice, kind of like feed lot pigeons.. Wink

anybody know what the authorities say about them Question ??

rayb

16GAwaterfowler
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 6:23 pm  Reply with quote

Nope if they are Collared doves they are considered Migratory game birds the same as regular Mourning doves, and if your in the Panhandle the season for them ended about two months ago. If you go down below San Antonio I believe that is considered south zone and they have a late dove season there......
DougK
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:02 pm  Reply with quote

We have been working on providing Dove food sources year around. This year we have seen a significant increase in wintering Morning and White-tipped. I like to think it is from the food, but it might be from the warner weather.

The winter season in central Texas is Dec 26 to Jan 4. In south Texas its from Dec 26 to Jan 11.