16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  gunsmith
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 2:24 pm  Reply with quote

Moved out to Phoenix from KC (home of Simmons) last year and found an excellent double gun smith. DL Precision in Glendale: 602-298-4635. Did an excellent and quite $ reasonable job on my Ithaca SBT and now has my 3 Parkers for 80 yr (2 Trojans) and 105 yr (GH) tune-ups.
Interesting gun environment in AZ-everyone seems focused on military, self-defense, and hunting rifles. Scottsdale Gun Club and Shooters World are great places to shoot and Ben Avery has everything. Amazing number of gun and 'gun stuff' companies in the area.
LOTS of folks from the Midwest come out to retire bringing some great old shotguns which can be found at estate sales and occasionally at gun shows. Prices for classic American doubles and Model 12's seem substantially less than what is found on the internet and east coast dealers. Miss fondling M-12's at Simmons and The Gun Shop in Olathe, KS but WilliamLarkinMoore in Scottsdale has some incredible doubles-they make me wear a surgical mask now from all my drooling.
hoashooter
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 7:58 pm  Reply with quote

Here in eastern Il gunsmiths are becoming a commodity.We have one master gunsmith over at Oakland but he is advanced in years.I do as much as possible myself,.replacement of parts,simple stockwork,mounting a scope etc.However for real work we have to send it back to the factory or to a recognized gunsmith.This obiviously adds the cost of shipping and insurance into the equation.
Parker Trojan
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 7:50 pm  Reply with quote

Here in sunny California, gunsmiths are a dying breed as everyone coming out of school is a dot-com geek. I send my guns to Keith Kearcher in Oregon; fast, fair and good Very Happy