16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Question about building light loads
bigric
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:39 am  Reply with quote

Would you mind sharing your source for the cards? I've checked out a few places so far over the last few days and shipping is criminal, which was going to drive me to punch my own. Midway was the worst, wanting $9 for the cheapest method to ship just cards.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:39 am  Reply with quote

I just bought 10,000 28 ga. card wads from Craig Smith at www.circlefly.com for use in the R16 wads I've ordered. You can buy direct from him. His phone/fax number is on his web site along with a printable order form. He's a very reasonable and pleasant man to deal with. His prices are as good or better that anyone else's too. He also makes these wads himself, so he's an in country source. I think you will like doing business with Craig and Circle Fly. Call him if you intend to use card wads for filler.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BR, I lifted this from one of my earlier posts in this venue titled Circle Fly Wads. Craig Smith will fix you right up. Just punch up the web site and make the call. his total price shipped for bulk orders of 5000 or more are the best around. He makes these wads himself on his own machines. He has different thicknesses too. You can not do better than him, trust me. I don't bother punching out foam wads now that I have access to Craig's products. It too reasonable, easy, and time saving to not take advantage of. He can also fix you up with .460 cal wads for use in the 20 .ga cups. 16GG
slimpickens
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:02 pm  Reply with quote

I sent you a post , but should have sent a reply, In reference to this post , can you use the SP16 for the same recipe?
Thanks

"16gaugeguy"]I use 16 ga. 3/4oz. skeet loads almost exclusively for recreational shooting. They are the 28 ga equvilent and recoil even less. Plus, the ultra short shot string clobberRs clays nicely.

My basic recipe is a Remington GL16 hull (the black one), 16.5 grains of Green Dot, an R16 wad with two 28. ga. 1/8th inch thick (.125) card wads inside the bottom of the shot cup. Add 3/4 oz of chilled #9 shot, crimp well and enjoy. Boy, that sounds almost good enough to drink. Wink Laughing

Actually, any of the new Remington 16ga. hulls with plastic base wad will do. The card wads come from Circle Fly and are bought very reasonably in 5000 count lots directly from them. There is another order for the R16 wad being put together now by Recob's Target Shop for some of the guys right here on this site. Green Dot is available almost anywhere. Any good primer will do. Buy the cheapest for the mostest here. They all go bang pretty well.

Your wife will love them. By the way, the 32 gauge or .45 cal 1/8" thick wad in a 7/8 oz 20 ga wad shotcup will do the same thing for you. 20 ga guns shoot 3/4 oz. of shot well too. but its heresy to proclaim that simple truth on this site so I now must go and perform the manditory hour of self flagellation. Embarassed 16GG[/quote]
Quote:
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:49 pm  Reply with quote

Slim, I answered your PP, but I'll also answer here for everyone's info. Yes you can. The SP-16 and the R16 wad are of identical diameters, wad lengths, and general design. the SP-16 has a shot cup that is 1/8" deeper. You must use one more 28 ga card wad. However, the R16 wad saves time and card wads for light sub gauge loads and can be bought in bulk for about the same as bagged SP-16 wads through Recob's.
slimpickens
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:17 am  Reply with quote

16gaugeguy wrote:
Slim, I answered your PP, but I'll also answer here for everyone's info. Yes you can. The SP-16 and the R16 wad are of identical diameters, wad lengths, and general design. the SP-16 has a shot cup that is 1/8" deeper. You must use one more 28 ga card wad. However, the R16 wad saves time and card wads for light sub gauge loads and can be bought in bulk for about the same as bagged SP-16 wads through Recob's.

This has been very helpful, thanks again for the information.
Another question, Grafe's has the Cheddite hulls and the Gualandi wads, would this be a good alternative to the black remington, and will you get more life out of this hull, then the remington? I would have to purchase the Cheddite hull, where as I currently purcahase the game load Remington, shoot and reload. However I do not like what powder they use in the black remington, it has to much recoil to suit me for 250 round session. What is your thoughts?

Thanks
Slim
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:00 am  Reply with quote

I have had limited reloading experience with Cheddite hulls. they seem to hold up reasonably well. They will probably reload for 3 to 5 times if the loads are light, low to moderate pressure ones.

I just don't like the Gualaudi wad designs available for the smaller gauges. I believe a full length shot cup that will hold at least 85 to 90% of the shot works better, especially when it comes to small shot charges where every pellet counts. That is why I use the Remington wads. They will work in the cheddite hull well enough. However, the B&P wads like the 16 ga Trap Commanders will work well too. They are a bit bigger in diameter, and have a more adaquate shot cup. However, you will still have to use filler wads in the cup for proper crimping.

I think you will find that all 16 ga. 1 ounce loads are too stout for longer sessions of skeet or trap with light weight hunting guns. The answer is to try 7/8 or 3/4 ounce loads at moderate velocities. I can shoot several hundred of my 3/4 ounce skeet loads without any discomfort whatever. Even 7/8 ounce loads can become a bit too much for extended sessions in my experience. however, none of my 16 ga guns have a recoil pad either. I think using one would probably help. However, I don't really like rubber pads on a hunting gun. I've had them snag my vest and screw up a gun mount on a flushing bird. A smooth hard butt plate does not do this much.
Bronco
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:04 am  Reply with quote

16GG, Would you happen to know the diameter of the Gualandi 16ga 1oz wads? How do these compare to the SP16 1 1/8 oz wad diameter? Thanks, Bob
Roadkill
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:38 pm  Reply with quote

Bronco, I just measured both, the Gualandi's that I have measure .654 and my Remmies measure .636, both readings taken at the base skirt. The Gualandi's have a distinct ring around the skirt that is several thou's larger but I measured above and below that ring, not on it.
That is an average reading from measuring 5 of each brand.
Bill
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:48 am  Reply with quote

Yup, thats about what I got if memory serves me right. Let me qualify my statement about Gualaundi wads here too. If all you shoot is skeet, with #9 shot, the Gualaundi wad will serve very well, even with subgauge loads. Basing game loads or recreational trap loads on this wad will leave something to be desired at ranges beyond 60 feet or so. Flattened, bore scrubbed shot is too unpredictable to count on out at 25 yards and beyond. it may throw a decent pattern or it may not. The random way misshapen shot preforms will prevent any predictability or reliability. Of course, tight chokes will mitigate this to some extent. But why not use a wad that adequately protects the shot and choose a choke that will serve for the majority of the ranges you will be shooting at.

16 ga Gualaundi wads will also work in the Remington case but are not ideal. They will be tough to seat and will buldge the case a little. They will also shorten the case life too. Remington wads will work in any 16 ga. case and for any reasonable shotgun range. They are more versitile.