16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Browning tang length
john555
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 5:06 pm  Reply with quote

Being a shooter more than a collector, I have always purchased shotguns with good workmanship and the hard to describe " good feel ". I have noticed several threads lately going on about the merits of a Browning long tang over that of a Browning short tang.
I shoot several 16 Brownings (O/U , A-5s and SxS ) and have no idea what you people are talking about. Would someone be kind enough to enlighten me on this matter.

Regards
John
Paul Dwight
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 8:30 am  Reply with quote

John,

The "tang" we are referring to is the length of metal extending past the rear of the trigger guard along the bottom of the grip. Newer Browning O/U guns have a short tang that extends 1in or less past the rear of the trigger guard, older Browning O/U guns tend to have a longer tang extending several inches along the grip. I hope this helps.

Paul Dwight
john555
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 11:01 am  Reply with quote

Paul

Well it goes to show you that a person can always learn something new. I checked the Brownings in the safe and just as you say, the newer models have a shorter tang. Never really paid any attention and they shoot just the same.Thanks for the reply.

Regards
John
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 4:43 pm  Reply with quote

John, Browning made the swap between 1994 and 1995. All guns made after 1995 have the short tang. Some folks claim the higher Grade guns made prior to '95 have better wood. They also feel the earlier guns have a better overall fit and finish too. Its a minor point most sellers/collecters make to justify asking for a premium on the older guns or looking for as discount on newer ones. Human nature, don't you love it? Wink

I've seen both good and not so good from every year. I also have noticed some production years are a bit better than others. It depends a lot on how much pressure is being put on the manufacturing work force to get them out. Big order years usually will have a few more lemons. It's a fact of life.

Miroku is like every other manufacturer. They have good and bad periods. I got a few Browning Citori guns between 1995 and 1998 with cross eyed (mis-regulated) O/U barrels. They were making a transition from the old semi- block barrel assembly to the new mono block set up back then and had not worked out the bugs yet. After 1998, their barrel sets have been excellent for the most part. Also, in every case, Browning either rebarreled the gun or exchanged it for one with good barrels except a high grade 28 they could not match. They refunded my money on that one.

I also once bought a high grade from a wholesaler sight unseen. It was the worst example of workmanship I ever saw on any Citori. I returned it to them ASAP, informed Utah of the problem and forwarded the serial number. Utah actually got the gun back from the wholesaler and brow beat some poor Miroku Rep half senseless over it.

So Browning does try to uphold the quality of their guns. They just don't get to see all the bad ones, because some folks would rather trade them off or put up with them rather than ask for an exchange, or just don't know a good one from a lemon. If Browning is made aware of any real and reasonable quality problem before too long a time goes by on any new gun, they will fix it. They always have for me. All we need do is ask. Of course, nit pickers are usually given the party line, but its understandable.