16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  What's the best digital scale for reloading?
tbk
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:51 pm  Reply with quote

I am just getting started reloading shotshells due to my 16 ga. passion. I have reloaded metallics in the past and am aware of the importance of a good scale. Due to aging eyes and arthritis an electronic/digital scale seems to make some sence. Could you experts please give me some advice on the best, most reliable and trouble free scale available. Would be willing to spend up to $300.00 (+ or -) for the right scale.

FYI I am activiely trying to join the low pressure group but seem to be making little head way. I am very anxiouse to access this invaluable resource. Any help there would also be appreciated.
Thanks.
tbk
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:03 pm  Reply with quote

I actually lurk on our site most of the time due to my weak typing skills but I am a member of the 16 ga. Society and was wondering why the logo was not included with my user name? Hope you guys can help me with a scale recomendation since I am itching to crank out some loads!
dogchaser37
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:00 pm  Reply with quote

Pact, Lyman, Dillon, Hornady, RCBS all make nice scales. I have had personal experience with the Dillon and Lyman, not a lot of difference. There are also powder measuring systems by the same companies, they actually weigh out each charge for you, for $250.00 or so. The scales run about $150.00 or cheaper. Dillons have a great warranty, and seem to be rugged.

My personal scale was made by Denver Instruments, too bad they aren't made anymore, they are extremely accurate and stable. Mine has been running since 1998, I never shut it off. If you can find a used one, buy it.
wingshooter
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:14 pm  Reply with quote

I really like my RCBS Chargemaster Combo. I use it for brass, and to check what my powder and shot bushings in my PW actually throw. Think I paid 259.00 plus shipping.

HTH,
Mike

Manufrance Ideal 314:
Barrel set 1- (choke) .000 , .007 , chamber 70mm
Barrel set 2- .025 , .047 , 65mm
Barrel set 3- .005, .015
Manufrance Ideal No. 5:
Choke: .000, .010, 70mm chambers
Lefty Dude
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:34 pm  Reply with quote

I prefer the beam scale, non electronic type.

I have an Ohaus/RCBS 10-10 that is 35 years old and still working well.

I know shooters who have the electronic scales, they are happy they did not sell their beam scale. For general reloading they prefer the beam scale.
putz463
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:34 am  Reply with quote

[quote="Lefty Dude"]I prefer the beam scale, non electronic type.

I have an Ohaus/RCBS 10-10 that is 35 years old and still working well.

I know shooters who have the electronic scales, they are happy they did not sell their beam scale. For general reloading they prefer the beam scale.[/quote]

I second this sentiment, had an electronic scale that broke after it fell from the bench after something caught the cord, they seem a little fragile for my way of doing things. Purchased the electronic scale hoping it would verify wieght quicker than the beam; when both were working there was no real difference in the time it took to weigh each sample. I verify every steel shot payload that I reload and the beam works fine for me. Found my stuff on ebay and have been very happy with RCBS products. Hope this helps, Mike

onefunzr2
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:59 am  Reply with quote

I'm glad I bought my Dillon D-Terminator scale. But, alas, they stopped making my exact model a decade ago, so I can't critique the current model. But I'll still tell you why I like mine.

It's fast, it has BIG readouts, works on 9V battery or 120V AC, weighs in both grams or grains, weighs up to 1200 grains, is no less accurate than my Ohaus 505, has a dust cover for the platen, and last but certainly not least, it ALWAYS weighs whatever the amount of check-weights, unfailingly. One more thing, it works from the get-go...no half hour warm up needed.

One thing I can not report on is how well it did on the nose dive onto the floor test. I was never that unlucky or clumsy.

I own quite a lot of Dillon Precision products and every one of them has exceeded my expectations. Their warranty is the best in the business; maybe any business.

http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/content/p/9/pid/25213/catid/7/D_Terminator_Electronic_Scale

Last edited by onefunzr2 on Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

putz463
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:19 am  Reply with quote

Ha....clumsy...I havn't been called that in years, I guess if the shoe fits I'll wear it. Rolling Eyes Laughing

tbk
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:42 am  Reply with quote

Thank you for the replies. I am thinking digital for ease of operation, primarily, my old Hornady beam scale has given up the ghost due to owner neglect. It sounds like there is little difference between the top name brands with Dillon's warranty adding some value. I wouldn't want to have to sit around for 30 min. waiting for the scale to warm up or settle in or whatever. Is that a necessity?
Lefty Dude
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:55 am  Reply with quote

tbk wrote:
Thank you for the replies. I am thinking digital for ease of operation, primarily, my old Hornady beam scale has given up the ghost due to owner neglect. It sounds like there is little difference between the top name brands with Dillon's warranty adding some value. I wouldn't want to have to sit around for 30 min. waiting for the scale to warm up or settle in or whatever. Is that a necessity?

Some are very fussy & very sensititive to all sorts of various, spurious enviroment changes.

Buy the best, forget about the money. Wink
GWP
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:04 pm  Reply with quote

I will back up the Dillon comment. I broke a part and wanted to buy it, THEY WOULD NOT LET ME!!! They sent out the part free. I am thinking about the large readout digital myself. Eyes 'aint what they used to be!
dogchaser37
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:19 pm  Reply with quote

Yup, It is best to give the scale time to normalize, the only way is to let the scale 'warm up'.
onefunzr2
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:44 pm  Reply with quote

The best thing I liked about the electronic scale is that it is easy to read the digital weight numbers (digits). No fooling around with 2 or even 3 poises, making darn sure that each sits in the bottom of the beam's notch. And, I found that I had to put the beam scale on a shelf at eye level to read it properly. Not so with my Dillon...it's on my bench along side my press and the digital readout is angled up to my eyes. That was a blessing; for me anyway.

I've already had the beam scale's poise jump a notch when I took off the pan too quick and the beam slammed down too hard. Not so with the electronic scale.

I found it hard to work around the beam scale's pan support wire. No such thing on the electronic...just a nice flat platen.

Weighing out shot charges thrown from my VersaMec 700 is so much easier and a lot faster on the electronic scale. Doing the same task on a beam scale was a real pain.

But when all is said and done, I still kept my 38 year old Ohaus. I don't use it, but I won't sell it either. It's not eating anything.

Rrusse11
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:03 pm  Reply with quote

tbk,
Check out Ebay, LOTS of digital scales there, just be sure to get one with a calibration weight. Personally I've found the "Lee Safety Scale" to be the best of the balance beam types, VERY sensitive but only goes up to 100grains. The vernier scale might not suit your "ageing eyes" problem however.
The electronic scales, I've heard, can be affected by things like eg., fluorescent lights, or having the radio on. Gravity is pretty constant, {:o).
R*2
dogchaser37
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:23 pm  Reply with quote

What I like best about the electronics, is that you can go back and forth between different weights and you don't reset anything, you just weigh.

It is true that flourescent lights did affect the first electronic scales, but I haven't found it true with the newer Dillon or Lyman, and yes there are flourescents on the same circuit as the scale as well as lighting my reloading bench.