16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  One hull all loads?
jschultz
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:30 am  Reply with quote

My RMC all brass hull hunting loads are low pressure 16 and 28 gauge loads. I have used these loads for two seasons with good success. I use smokeless powder. Unique, Herco, Universal Clays, Trail boss and IMR4756 are the powders that I'm using and all have published velocities in the 1200+ fps and pressures below well below 10000 psi, with the IMR below 8000 psi.
I also have a new chronograph and when the weather gets suitable I will test my loads. According to Rocky Mountain Cartridge, all published reloads are suitable for their all brass shotgun hulls because of the hull’s volume, which is greater than plastic/paper hulls. RMC told me that because of the grater volume, pressures will be lower. Your comments please.
FlyChamps
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:49 am  Reply with quote

Dumb idea.

The pressure might be less so that the loads aren't dangerous but they also might not perform worth a crap.

I have a shotgun built in 1866 that requires "low pressure" loads. Except for this gun I load without regard to pressure as long as the pressure is at or below allowable service pressure for the gauge.

Using just one hull is of no significant benefit to me - especially if the hulls are the absolutely attrociously priced RMC hulls.

I just dumpster dive at my local sporting clays course for free empties or buy factory ammo and reload the hulls.
jschultz
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:38 pm  Reply with quote

Fly Champ,
So far it has been a good idea. All of my brass hull loads came from Tom Armbruster, who has pressure tested each load. I'm not unhappy with the loads that I use because they pattern adequate and four of them pattern beautifully.

Maybe a better way of stating the question is: How does case volume effect pressure and velocity. A comparison would be a Win' AA hull vs a straight walled Federal hull or in my case, an all brass hull?

Re: RMC brass hull prices and dumpster diving for hulls. I would have to drive an hour and a half only to be disappointed when I realized that the only clay shooting facility dumpsters in my area do not contain many 16 gauge hulls or 28 gauge hulls either.
Lefty Dude
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:21 pm  Reply with quote

Only the few are bold enough to use the true original Shotgun reloading hull, Brass. Wink

Cool
FlyChamps
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:44 pm  Reply with quote

Lefty Dude wrote:
Only the few are bold enough to use the true original Shotgun reloading hull, Brass. Wink

Cool

Maybe so, but my Joseph Lang 16 bore was built in 1866 and rebarreled in damascus between 1873 and 1882. It's been shooting paper or plastic cartridges since it was first built. It wasn't even nitro proofed until 1990.

Brass cases are slow and expensive to load. While you're loading I'll be shooting. I put between 1325 and 1350 plastic cased cartridges through my Lang last year - not bad for a shotgun that will be 143 years old in March. I'd hate to think about the time I'd have to spend loading that many brass cases.
jschultz
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:52 am  Reply with quote

FlyChamps
I agree with you. If I were shooting clays as much as you, brass hulls would not be an option. I'm assuming that you are shooting black powder with your Damascus barreled Joseph Lang. If you reread my original post, the first sentence - My RMC all brass hull hunting loads are .................. and I go on to say "smokeless powder".......... So, if you shoot bp and use your damascus gun for clays and not hunting, why did you respond to this topic? You seem to be firmly against the use of brass hulls, why? Just don't like brass hulls, smokeless powder, barrels without damascus construction or hunters?
FlyChamps
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:38 am  Reply with quote

Every one of those loads shot in my Lang was smokeless. Damascus barrels are suitable for appropriate smokeless loads. As I mentioned in my earlier post it was nitro (smokeless) proofed in 1990 at the Birmingham proof house.

Most of my shooting is at clays but I also hunt quail with my Lang, most recently just three weeks ago. It still kills birds just like when it was new. I use the same low pressure smokeless loads to hunt that I use on clays. I shoot clays primarily to practice for hunting.

I have three issues with brass hulls: 1. They're expensive 2. They are very slow to load - even for hunting quantities 3. The overshot wad must be glued in place and when jostled around during transport or use they sometimes break free and you have a pockeful of shot and a useless round.

I responded to this thread because your subject was "one hull all loads?". There isn't such a thing as "one hull all loads" - never has been, probably never will be.
jschultz
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:23 am  Reply with quote

Sorry, I missed the nitro proofing. I am a shirttail relative of the late August Pachmayr and in the early 70's I came very close to buying a Holland and Holland 16 gauge. The shotgun had been refurbished and felt good in my hands. I still kick myself for not buyin g the H&H. I envy your Joseph Lang. Re your 3 issues with brass hulls, I have to agree with #1 and #2, but I'm fairly certain that I have fixed the dislodged shot problem that you state in #3.
I probably don't load more than three boxes of hunting loads and I often reload those within a day or so. I disagree about the one hull for all loads because so far I have successfully met my limited needs. Thank you for your replies and good shooting
Brayhaven
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:54 am  Reply with quote

jschultz wrote:
My RMC all brass hull hunting loads are low pressure 16 and 28 gauge loads. Your comments please.

I use brass (Magtech) for specialty loads and have had great success. Haven't tried the RMC ones yet (are they still making them?). The last 6 gobblers I've killed were with brass cases (1 1/4 oz of 5's & smokeless). http://onfinite.com/libraries/1137974/448.jpg
I use Ballistic prod. 12 ga shot cups and fiber wads. That lets you adjust the column easily. I know the problems with the overshot cards coming loose. It can even be dangerous if the first barrel dislodges the shot/wads from the 2nd barrel and it's laying a ways down the barrel. I had that happen once. Killed the turkey withe the first shot and when I got up to go to him, the shot from the 2nd barrel rolled out Sad . I now double glue them with dupont cement or arrow fleching cement with no more problems. That card is nice to ID the loads.

Speaking of hulls, I got some of the 16 ga paper hulls from Graf last week. They load nice with roll crimps.

Greg
jschultz
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:31 pm  Reply with quote

Brayhaven,
RMC is located in Cody WY and manufactures brass hulls in all gauges. Contact Dave Casey 307-587-9693
Brayhaven
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:35 pm  Reply with quote

jschultz wrote:
Brayhaven,
RMC is located in Cody WY and manufactures brass hulls in all gauges. Contact Dave Casey 307-587-9693

Yes, I ran across their site a few years back. Nice work, turning them on a cnc lathe. IIRC, they would even put your personal headstamp on them (for a price). As I also recall, you had to hock your shotgun to afford a whole box of them Very Happy . But the thick walls allowed you to use std wads. I use 14 ga wads in the magtech, but the 12 ga BP shotcup works well and you can vary the slits (number & length) to achieve about any pattern you need. I've also used BP "spreaders" in them for wider patterns from tight chokes.
Thanks for the contact info. I was in Cody last summer at the Winchester Museum and could have saved shipping...
Greg