16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Pressure Indicators?
Brewster11
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:57 pm  Reply with quote

Hi All (again),

I am preparing to begin reloading for my 16 ga SxS, and was wondering if there were shotshell pressure warning indicators analogous to centerfire rifle cartridges (hard extraction, cratered primers, stretched cases, etc.), but for lower pressures? Realizing that shotshell pressures are much lower than centerfire rifles, are there any things to look out for, other than bulged barrels and loose ribs?

V/R,

Brewster11
sheabert
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:57 pm  Reply with quote

I have loaded federal hulls with 1 1/8 oz shot hot enough to where the brass visibly bulged out quite a bit. It was so bad that i couldn't resize them in my reloader and had to throw them all away.
dogchaser37
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:11 am  Reply with quote

There are no reliable methods of predicting pressures in a shotshell load, except to actually have them tested. Stories of flattened primers, brass measurements etc. are only stories and are not indicators of pressure.

Use published data from a good source, like the powder and component manufacturers. The Low Pressure Group has some loads tested by Tom Armbrust, they should also fill the bill.
RWG
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:31 pm  Reply with quote

The only given in 16 ga. shells retailed in the US is that they comply with SAAMI. So average service pressure of 11,500 psi.
FlyChamps
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:35 pm  Reply with quote

sheabert wrote:
I have loaded federal hulls with 1 1/8 oz shot hot enough to where the brass visibly bulged out quite a bit. It was so bad that i couldn't resize them in my reloader and had to throw them all away.

Bulged brass in a shotshell is most likely the sign of an oversize chamber not high pressure. I have an old English 16 gauge with oversize chambers and the brass bulges with low pressure loads. I really like my Sizemasters - they solve the problem elegantly.
Dave Miles
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:42 am  Reply with quote

This is a sure sign or warning of excessive pressure in a shotshell. Wink

birddog
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:01 am  Reply with quote

Brewster,
As stated above, there are no true pressure signs with shotshells as there are with rifle brass. Don't tread down this road unless you've updated your life insurance policy to make mama really happy and you don't care about the loss of fingers or limbs. Shotguns unlike rifles are working at 11,000psi
and do not tolerate excess abuse well. I can't overstate the importance to not tamper on unproven soil, it's much like a land mine. Send loads in to Tom Armburst for testing first, or follow the manual to the T.
Good Luck,
Charlie

Winchester Mod 12 16ga. 30" full
Sears mod. 30 Ranger 16ga.
1 NEW Citori 525 Sporting Clays w/30"tubes
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good woman" D. Boone
Brewster11
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:34 pm  Reply with quote

Folks,

Rest assured that I have absolutely no intention of using anything but well-tested, modest pressure loads exactly as directed. But rifle reloading experience taught me that one must approach any published load with reduced powder charges and look for pressure indicators while gradually increasing the charge to the prescribed level, because pressure levels are highly dependent on the individual firearm being used. A load producing nominal pressures in a test gun could produce much higher pressures in another gun.

Is this the case with shotguns as it is with centerfire rifles, and if so, what indicators should be monitored as one tests new loads, even those that are considered low to medium pressure?

Thanks

Brewster11
dogchaser37
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:07 pm  Reply with quote

Hi Brewster,

No, shotguns are a bit different than rifles. There is no rifling, short throats, short chambers, or tight chambers or the like to produce substantially different pressures. If anything, and I can only speak for firearms manufactured to SAAMI reccomendations, the pressure test barrels will produce MARGINALLY higher pressures than those produced in production shotguns, as the chambers TEND to be cut a little tighter in the test barrels. That is a rule of thumb, not an absolute.

The one rule that you don't violate is, NEVER substitute components. That includes backing off powder charges. There is really no perfect way to predict what will happen with pressure, velocity or extreme variation snd standard deviation of both, except to properly test the component change. A lot of reloaders including those that write about topics here speak of switching components in a rather casual manner. They can speculate all they want, but they really have no idea what happens to pressure and velocity and the EV and SD of both. Primer switching is the favorite and probably the one switch the screws stuff up more than any other. For the most part there is a window where the powder charge, primer and shot charge marry up pretty well, start messing around with it and you will lose the nice consistent round that is was intended to be.

Tom Armbrust has written a great article on it.

http://www.armbrust.acf2.org/

Again, there are NO reliable indicators of chamber pressure that can be read by visual inspection or measuring fired shotshells.
Dave Erickson
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:39 pm  Reply with quote

I agree on the standard of using only published loads from reputable sources.

That said, I loaded a load from a manual, "Reloading for Shotgunners, 4th Ed." a few years ago and I followed the recipe to a T. I always check the powder with a certified scale, etc. The one ounce load was supposed to clock at 1220 fps, and I noticed that the recoil was way more than I expected. I then chronographed the loads and found they were at 1310 fps and I'm pretty sure the pressure was significantly higher than the published data.

Nothing is more conclusive than sending loads to a lab like Tom Armbrust's (done that), but you can make some commen sense determinations with a chronograph as I did above. I'm now leary of that manual and any data put out by Ballistic Products. (same guys that put out the manual mentioned above)
dogchaser37
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:12 am  Reply with quote

Dave,

Many people have the same issue with BPI loading data. I never have been able to find out what lab does their testing. There aren't very many ballistic testing facilities and at one time I knew most all of them.

Before buying a reloading manual, ask the folks that published it who / how the data was tested. If they are evasive or if it wasn't done with Piezo equipment and by a source that you can get information on, stop right there. Get your data somewhere else.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:09 am  Reply with quote

Dave Miles wrote:
This is a sure sign or warning of excessive pressure in a shotshell. Wink

At least in this particular gun. I'm assuming these barrels are some form of laminated, damascus, or twist iron. What grade is not discernable from the picture. I don't know enough about them to know I'm on safe ground or not. I'd not know it if I was holding the gun in my hands. This picture shows the main reason why I don't ever shoot them. Someone did not know what they should have. I would not use a gun like this to blow up toy balloons.

The load could have been a safe load in a gun with fluid steel barrels from what we can see. It could have been a safe load in a thoroughly checked and certified damascus barrel. We can't tell. What is true is that the gun is now good only as a bad example. What a shame. What a waste. It would have made a lovely wall hanger and curio with historic value. Now it's junk.

Ignorance is never bliss when it comes to firearms. Sometimes it's costly. sometimes it's fatal. And so it goes.