16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Dehaans/Huglu's
saw557
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:06 pm  Reply with quote

I've done some surfing on the net and Dehaan imports a nice looking O/U in 16 ga from Huglu they list the weight at 7.0 lbs does anyone have any experience with either the Huglu or Dehaan ? I am wondering if it's built on a 16 ga frame or just has barrels thrown on a 12 ga frame.....seems just a tad heavy to be on a 16 frame. I have a 12ga CZ Redhead dlx which is made by Huglu that I've been very happy with and for the money I think is hard to beat.
Scott
USAFA 71
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:56 pm  Reply with quote

Go to Mark's web site(www.dhshotguns.com) and check out the guns. All the guns he imports are made on gauge-specific frames, ie the 16 ga is NOT made on a 12 gauge frame. That is why the 12 ga gun is listed as weighing more than the 16 ga.

I have one of the SGr custom guns in 28 ga(I needed the left-hand stock) and truly love the gun. For the price, I will compare it to any other gun you can get.

Also look at Mark's return policy - try returning a Browning or Beretta if you don't like it and see what they say!

Mark's guns are made to his specifications, so even though Huglu makes the CZ's and others, they are not necessarily made to the the same specifications.

Yes, I love my Dehaan, as well as the two SxSs that my shooting partner has and lets me drool over whenever we go shooting! Give Mark a call, you won't regret it!
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 2:25 pm  Reply with quote

I'm hearing more and more about DeHaan. The more I hear, the better I like what I hear. The company has taken a page right out of the how to how to deal straight up book of business. I wish this enterprise well if it continues viewing its clientele as a valued entity.

It is the responsibility of the importer to make plans for service contingencies and to demand consistant quality from its gun makers. If the company does it right, they deserve our business. If not, then we are better off looking elsewhere.

I've been buying and shooting guns for about thirty years now, although it seems like only yesterday I bought my first new gun. I've seen them come and I've seen them go. The ones that last always take good care of their customers. The fly by nights never last or must keep changing identities faster than you or I change our skivies. Eventually, they fade away like a bad smell...but not nearly fast enough for me.

I'm thinking of a nice 16 ga. SxS for close work. I'm looking at DeHaan's. I will watch and see a while longer. however, once I'm fairly sure they are for real and in it for the long run, bingo...done deal.
saw557
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 8:13 pm  Reply with quote

After looking at the web pages for both the Dehaan and the Huglu I noticed the Huglu 16 comes with tubes while the Dehaan is IC/Mod whats up with that do you suppose its a miss print on the Huglu page. Dehaan clearly states you can have choke tubes put in but it'll run a couple bucks when it's all said and done....seems strange the Huglu would come stock with tubes.
Scott
dannypratt
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 9:07 am  Reply with quote

I've got two Huglu / CZ Side by Sides, one in 20 gauge which is an earlier ArmsCo import and a 28 gauge which is a current CZ import. Both of them are case colored, false sideplate, round knob models. I personally think that for the money you can't get a better SxS. I've had no problems at all from duck hunting in bad weather w/ the 20 to Grouse hunting w/ the 28 they have performed perfectly. The fit and finish on both is excellent and extremely attractive, and they both came with 5 tubes , cylider through full so they are truly versatile pieces. I've had and hunted with a very fine Browning SxS for some time now and I enjoy handling and shooting my two Huglus just as much.
I wish I could have gotten one in 16 instead of 20. I didn't think to go to DeHann, simply because I got a fantastic deal on my ArmsCo model. These are the same guns as DeHann's though, he offers them in 16 where CZ doesn't and also in several other finish and engraving styles. I have to say if you want a gun to admire but that will also stand up to weather w/o you going berserk if you use it to brace your fall ( as I did with my 28, really suprised it didn't splinter into 50 pieces! ) A Huglu is excellent. Also, I notice d the recoil on them is not even mentionable. ( My Browning kicks like hell! ) there's my two cents
-danny
22-250
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 10:05 am  Reply with quote

Danny, your post just made up my mind. I'm going to order a Dehaan o/u next week. I've read a lot of positive stuff on them and not very much negative, so I'll take the plunge. I've a 16 ga Model 12 at Simmons now and was going to have a rib put on but found out that the chamber needed sleeved. Simmons cannot find a reamer the right size to insert the sleeve and they will ship it back to me unfixed. I called Briley and it turns out they send their guns to Simmons for the same work, so I'm SOL on the Mod 12 untill I find a new barrel. Too bad, as I shot that gun very well on targets and birds. I picked it up at an estate sale almost two years ago for $80.00 so I'm not too hurt with. I figure with what I would have spent on repair/rib on the mod 12, I can get a new o/u and in the meantime be looking for another 16 ga mod 12 and a barrel. I'm hoping for a +2 increase in my shotgun collection. Wink
Robert
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 10:56 am  Reply with quote

22-250, I know a guy who might or might not be able to help you. His name is Mike Orlen. He operates out of Amherst, MA and is in the book. give him a call and see if He can't fix your barrel. He's done a bunch of choke and bore work for me. He's reasonable, and does good work, at least for the work he's done for me.

I don't understand the problem with the reamer size. they can usually be leased for small quantity jobs. It sounds like Simmons has more work than they can use. Look elsewhere. If Mike can't help you, I'd bet he might know who can. A call is a cheap investment and easily made. a good 16 ga model 12 barrel is not cheap and a lot harder to find. good luck. And let us know how you make out. 16GG.
22-250
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 3:45 pm  Reply with quote

Thank you 16GG, I'll do that. Yes it seems kind of strange that Simmons would say that. I've delt with them 4 times in the past 20 years for rib work on 12 ga and they have done excellent work, pricey, but excellent work. I understand they have changed owners recently and I do not know if they have the same principles they had before though. They told me that they even tried to have a reamer special made and that it was too pricey for them. I'm assuming that there has to be a special non-standard size of reamer for the model 12 chamber to fit the new sleeve. Confused
Anyhow I'll work through it and hopefully bring my total of 16 ga shotguns to six. Oh wait a minute! I need one more to have one for each day of the week! Laughing Laughing
Happy New Year! and thanks again for the tip.

Robert
dannypratt
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 2:30 pm  Reply with quote

22-250,
Great! Glad I was able to help out w/ an opinion! I can't say enough about those Huglu's, they are fantastic, and you cannot beat them for the money. I actually would pay more if that was the case, like I said I just can't say enough about them.-danny
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 3:47 pm  Reply with quote

Something is not quite right here. The Special reamer for the chamber sleeve baffles me. Usually, the sleeve manufacturer will offer the right sized reamer for such work. Yuo might not even need the work done. Are they claiming it's dangerously oversized?

I'd have that chamber checked by a knowledgable local smith with a go, no go gauge. a thousandenth or two over no go is not going to hurt a thing either. a lot of older guns will accept a field gauge, but are fine to shoot. It sounds like Simmon's new legal staff or their insurance company might be running things.

You could also cast an acrylic chamber plug and measure it yourself with a mike. Just ask a local dentist or denture lab technician where to get the plastic powdered resin and the activator they use to mold plates. the tech probably will sell you some reasonably. Also ask him what would be the right kind of release agent to coat your chamber and cone with. a snug cork or wad of waxed paper will plug the bore ahead of the cone. It goes not have to be overly tight either, just snug enough to stop the liquid plastic from oozing past it.

Mike also does chamber and cone work. If its a matter of a short chamber, He can fix you right up and do the cone at the same time for one price.

I'd also consider a Polyrib or one from the other aftermarket rib company. I know a number of trap shooters who,ve had one added to their gun for a higher rib and to change their pattern's point of impact to suit. These ribs are cemented on and seem to hold up quite well. If they will stay on a hot trap barrel, they should stay put on yours. Look in Trap and Field or Shotgun Sports for the ad. Perhaps someone here can point you in the right direction too. 16 gg
22-250
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 6:15 pm  Reply with quote

16GG
I think you've hit the nail on the head. You are probably right about the legal dept and or insurance company running things. I read awhile back that Simmons will not rebuild the bolt lockup notch on the receiver on a model 12 by welding and machining it as they used to be famous for years ago. Seems their legal advisors made them stop doing it several years ago.

Simmons advised me not to fire the gun anymore without a chamber resleeve. The problem I noticed with the gun and told Simmons, was that the bolt would not remain in the closed position after firing a round. It come to about half open with 2 3/4 dram 1oz factory load and all the way back with a 3 dram factory load without my hand on the forearm. My other 12 ga mod 12's do not do that, the bolt remains in a semi-locked position. With a 2 1/2 dram 1oz load at abt 7900 psi handloads, the 16ga bolt acted as the 12 ga's do. Confused Also I when I first fired the gun I used Federal factory shells and the rim split on about 1/4 of the box. I'm assuming that that was a bad lot from Federal as I had not encountered that problem since with any shell. Now there is an indentation on the "brass" about 1/4" long and about 1/4" in from the head about where the chamber ring would meet the barrel but does not hinder extraction. Fact is never had a problem with extraction at all.

I am going to take to a good gunsmith here to have the chamber checked and go from there. There are a couple left here. Good gunsmiths are getting harder to find it seems. The poly rib sounds like it may be the way to go. They have probably improved the "stickum" from the 70's. I knew several people who had problems with them back then. Looks like I'll be on the phone quite a bit Tuesday.

I appreciate the advice 16GG and thank you again for our input. I've got to go load a couple of hundred rounds for gun club "hangover' shoot tomorrow. Happy New Year
Robert
bustingclays
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 6:58 pm  Reply with quote

Gentlemen:

I bought (got mine from Hero's Arms) and then my friend also bought a 410 ga Huglu Ringneck - 28 inch barrels, case colored side locks - false side locks. I have about 1000 rounds through my gun and NO problems (now watch, I'm jinxed for sure) and neither has my friend. These guns are choked fixed ic/mod and I have broken several skeet straights with mine (Nowhere near as many as my friend though Sad ). The stock dimensions with a slip-on pad for added length are just right for me.

We are both considering 28s in the same format - we both are very happy with the 410 guns.

I have also shot sporting clays at Rend Lake with mine and broke 60 birds (8.5s Winchester HS factory loads) - probably the best sporting clays day I will ever have.

One issue - the chambers are TIGHT. I had to alter the grabber re-sizer to make reloaded shells fit well - no problem now Smile .

Dr. 16 Gauge
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:31 am  Reply with quote

BC, you might have a gun with the chambers on the small side of the spec, but if you are not having any trouble with factory loads seating, then its probably the steel rims on your cases. I do not know of any company now using brass on their 16 ga cases anymore.

I had the same problem with both my MEC 16 ga. 600 Jr reloaders and went to the grabber partially because of it. I never had any problems with the WW 16AA cases which had brass heads in any of my guns. However, both the 1987 and 1988 Citori would peel the side of a steel head back every so often. The Grabber and a careful adjustment of the collet cured that right up. 16GG.
Hal M. Hare
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:13 am  Reply with quote

I have had good luck dealing with Mark DeHaan. While he is an importer rather than a manufacturer--he does stand behind his products. Over the years I have had a firing pin and spring break, and they were promptly replaced.

The products offer a lot for the money. For an entry level SxS shotgun, they cannot be beaten!

Too bad they do not offer screw chokes in the 16 gauge.

bustingclays
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 6:08 am  Reply with quote

Hal:

I have called and spoken to Mark at least once per year for the last 5 or so. I'm interested in a high grade Huglu in 16 ga sxs with 28 inch barrels and screw in chokes.

There is a NICE one on the sgr high grade page with a description I like right now - www.dhshotguns.com Grade 5 wood and everything. click on the sgr deluxe link and scroll down. I would go for a beavertail forend myself.

Just have never completed the sale - mostly because of the chokes issue. I keep hoping that they will resolve this.

Yes, I know briley can put some thin-walls in, but I am partial to extendeds and not sure that the metal on the barrels is thick enough.

maybe this year......

Dr. 16 Gauge