16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  steel shot wads
sheabert
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:55 pm  Reply with quote

This recent thread about having shot completely contained within the shot cup got me thinking. I have always been told not to shoot steel out of my model 11, but if the shot were to be in a wad that protected it from the barrel, would it still pose a problem? I am thinking of wads like the mm16 and the sp16, and if necessary couldn't you throw in a mylar wrap for good measure?
dogchaser37
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:25 pm  Reply with quote

Hi Sheabert,

First the problem isn't the wads it is the steel shot.

It doesn't matter what type of wad you use steel shot doesn't like to flow through forcing cones, and the issue of the Model 11, the choke. The steel shot MIGHT cause the choke section of the barrel to bulge.

The SP16 isn't made of the correct plastic the stop the steel pellets from rubbing through. Adding mylar, if you could find data, CAN raise chamber pressures as much as 2,000 PSI. All of the loads that I have tested, adding mylar caused a minimum chamber pressure rise of 1,000 PSI.

I am not much of a mylar fan, it is a pain to work with and raises chamber pressures without raising velocities, and that is for loads that are developed to have mylar in them.
Spike McQuail
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:05 am  Reply with quote

Steel shot can damage a barrel if too large a shot size is forced down too small a choke constriction regardless of wad used. The owners manuals of guns with steel compatible barrels and chokes warn against using larger size steel shot in any restriction tighter than modified choke and some warn against using a full choke for steel shot.

I have shot 100+ rounds of 15/16oz #2 steel through the improved cylinder barrel of my model 11 at waterfowl with no problem. I started using Bismuth and Tungsten Matrix as soon as it became available because of its increased lethality. Literature from Browning states that you can shoot steel through modified or more open chokes on earlier A5s that are not specifically labeled for steel as long as the choke is modified or more open. They also state that shooting steel might cause a ring on the inside of the barrel at the choke constriction, but that this should not cause any problem with the function or patterning of the gun.

Part of the reason for removable chokes on steel compatible guns is that the chokes can be easily and inexpensively replaced if the user shoots a lot of steel. I know a few gun clubs on or near wetlands that require non-toxic shot for target shooting and steel is the only reasonably priced alternative to lead. I wouldn't shoot a lot of steel with a model 11 unless it was #4 or #6 steel through an improved cylinder or cylinder choke.

If you are shooting at waterfowl, buy some Tungsten Matrix or Bismuth ammo or even reload some Nice Shot (same reloading equipment and recipes as lead). The premium priced non toxic ammo kills better and considering the relatively few rounds you'll use in a season, it is worth the small extra cost. If you must shoot a lot of steel, I recommend you buy a steel compatible gun with replaceable chokes.
sheabert
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:40 am  Reply with quote

That makes sense. Thanks guys. I have no problem sticking with the 12, just curious.
skeettx
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:18 pm  Reply with quote

Hello

Take a look here for a steel shot 16 gauge wad

http://www.ballisticproducts.com/bpi/articleindex/articles/wad_gbpsmallbore1/smbore1.htm

Enjoy the day
Mike
riude
PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:00 am  Reply with quote

dogchaser37 wrote:
Adding mylar, if you could find data, CAN raise chamber pressures as much as 2,000 PSI. All of the loads that I have tested, adding mylar caused a minimum chamber pressure rise of 1,000 PSI.

Is this true? Do you have tested data for it? I have though there is no difference.
rerundogchaser37
PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:37 am  Reply with quote

deleted

Last edited by rerundogchaser37 on Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:54 am; edited 1 time in total

riude
PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:33 am  Reply with quote

Ok. Iīm planning to use BPI steel recipe as base for TSS load.
I gonna wrap TSS inside mylar and put whole packet to VP80. Should be enough to prevent damages from TSS pellets.
Hard to believe mylar could increase pressure when itīs totally inside wad, right?
rerundogchaser37
PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:40 pm  Reply with quote

riude

No comment

riude
PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:27 pm  Reply with quote

Dogchaser, dont understand me wrong Very Happy.
Iīm really interested on this, but I canīt find any data or even conversations about this pressure increase with mylar.
rerundogchaser37
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:48 am  Reply with quote

deleted

Last edited by rerundogchaser37 on Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

riude
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:14 am  Reply with quote

Hmm...I really donīt understand you now?

What am I going to do

We have BPI steel recipe:
Fiocchi hull
7/8oz. steel
23grs Longshot
Fio616 primer
MM16 wad
1450@11400

Iīm planning to test this recipe with 7/8oz TSS.
I though to use mylar wrap to be sure TSS wonīt harm barrel.
Then I noticed your post concerning mylar, and how it can increase pressure.
Since recipe has allready 11400PSI (and thatīs BPIīs pressure!) I really donīt want to increase pressure.
Of course pressure should be little lower since MM16 must be filled with fiber or felt, TSS column takes only about 1/2".

Thatīs why I asked. I havenīt seen any data or find any conversations to confirm this, just your notes.

Please, explain me what was so bad with my question? I have allways though this forum is to share your notes and experiences with 16g reloading.
rerundogchaser37
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:35 am  Reply with quote

deleted

Last edited by rerundogchaser37 on Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

rerundogchaser37
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:06 am  Reply with quote

deleted

Last edited by rerundogchaser37 on Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

johs
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:37 pm  Reply with quote

sheabert wrote:
This recent thread about having shot completely contained within the shot cup got me thinking. I have always been told not to shoot steel out of my model 11, but if the shot were to be in a wad that protected it from the barrel, would it still pose a problem? I am thinking of wads like the mm16 and the sp16, and if necessary couldn't you throw in a mylar wrap for good measure?

I have shot 200+ sp16 pluss wrap (not mylar) loaded with 21 grams with US 6 and 7 steel shot with good perfomance. v2 around 430-450 m/s. Kills crows well up to 35 yards.

I look into the reloading manuals and work up my loads in small steps from them, and have not had any problem. A lot of people here and on shotgun world goes "crazy" if you not follow the manuals but for me it has worked great in many years. You need to use your head of course.