16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  16 ga 3 inch
DougK
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:42 pm  Reply with quote

after a few beers and many interesting but made up stories the great debate begain. The topic was "Did the 16 ga ever come in 3 inch?"

Does anyone know?
Thanks
Doug
hoashooter
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:23 pm  Reply with quote

Never heard of such a thing--BUT ----in the interest of these matters I am now forced to look into this question while absorbing a few myself---The answer is no---believe it or not the strangest thing known to man is the 16 ga slug Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
DougK
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 1:50 am  Reply with quote

That is what I thought. Interesting about the slug. Has anyone seen production 16 ga buck shot shells?
16GAwaterfowler
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 4:20 am  Reply with quote

Actually the 16 and 20 ga slugs are highly accurate in bolt action type shotguns. They can be pushed to much higher velocity than 12 ga slugs because of the lighter weight projectiles. I have some 16 ga Winchester slugs, why I bought them is beyond me as I live in a state you can hunt deer with a rifle, then again I also did find some Federal 1 3/4 oz 10 ga slugs that I had to have to... Question
Rogmatt
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 5:45 am  Reply with quote

I think a 3" 16Ga. defeats the whole purpose of having a 16 to begin with.
Lighter weight & recoil than a 12.
That being said, if I had a gun chambered for it with the ammo, I would shoot the heck out of it!!

TJC
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 7:02 am  Reply with quote

A guy just gave me 2 boxes of Win Super X 16 ga slugs. 50 rds of 16 ga slugs that I have no use for. Laughing Nice thing is that they are a number of years old judging by the boxes so I put them on the shelf with my so called collection of old shells.
They'll never see the inside of one of my 16's though, no need to.

blackduck
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 7:21 am  Reply with quote

DougK wrote:
That is what I thought. Interesting about the slug. Has anyone seen production 16 ga buck shot shells?

Winchester makes them..I purchased some a couple of years back online.

Here is a link http://www.outdoorsuperstore.com/store/products/productDisplay~manufacturer~WINCHESTER~model~SUPER%2DX+BUCKSHOT+SHOTSHELLS.htm
Larry Brown
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 8:39 am  Reply with quote

Actually, 16ga 3" shells were produced, very briefly, back before WWII I think. Don't know how many guns were ever chambered for them, but I don't think very many. I've never seen one myself. Fox also worked on 16ga Super Foxes (which were made in 20ga as well as 12) but they never went into production.
Wolfchief
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 3:05 pm  Reply with quote

In reference to Larry's post----I read a fine biography by George Bird Evans on the great early 20th Century outdoor sportswriter Nash Buckingham. Nash was from the Memphis, TN. area and he shot more wild birds, primarily ducks and geese near or on the Mississippi River, than most of us will ever see. He also was an excellent quail shot and hunted them avidly in the South. He was a very prolific, entertaining author of sporting books and magazine articles and his heyday was from about 1910 to the 1960's. His books make great fireside reading on a winter evening. He died in about 1970.

Buckingham's favorite waterfowl gun was a 32" overbored 12 ga. HE "Super Fox" side by side. The gun weighed about 10 lbs. It was specially bored by a gunsmith in Philadelphia named Burt Becker and it patterned about 90% at 40 yards; Buckingham was a superb waterfowl gunner and he used Winchester Super X copper coated #4's---1 3/8 oz.--and, as Jack O'Connor once said, these were "real hellbender" loads in Nash's day. All of the reference material in this book referred to 12 ga. guns; I was not aware that they were made in 16 ga.----but back in that day, manufacturers were more in tune to the customer, and if a 16 ga. was what was requested, I would not be surprised to learn that Fox built it on a custom basis to the client's specifications.

Foursquare
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 8:30 am  Reply with quote

For a detailed discussion of the Super Fox, Nash Buckingham, Burt Becker, etc you might want to read _A H Fox, "Th Finest Gun in the World"_ by McIntosh.
Becker worked for Fox in Phila, and continued to do special projects, like "Bo-Whoop", even after the Savage takeover.

Be careful, they weren't all chambered in 3".

Charles Askins worked long and hard with the Olin folks to develop the Super X loads and specs for what would become the Super. But try as he might, they just couldn't seem to get the 16 ga version to work - remember, the guarantee was for 80% patterns @40 yds. So according to this book, 16 Supers were never made.

Pete
Larry Brown
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 3:37 pm  Reply with quote

Concerning the Super Foxes, most of them were NOT 3" guns. They were just specially-bored, heavy, 2 3/4" waterfowl guns.
laxcoach
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:37 am  Reply with quote

Boys, I hate to contradict you, but I own a 2E Elsie that is bored 3" and is so marked ! The story behind this gun is that it was originally owned by a barrelsmith who worked at Hunter Arms and had the gun made for himself with 3" chambers and lengthened forcing cones. I'm told that 3" shells were made for a short period of time, but I've never seen any.
At any rate, the gun is deadly on doves and recoils like a 20 !
woodcock
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 1:27 pm  Reply with quote

I have a reference to a 16ga. 3" Parker accompanied by a case (or the remnants thereof) of 3" shells manufactured by a "now defunct" company. Can't put my hand on the article in the library just yet but I'll have chapter and verse later this week.
Thank God it never caught on!
woodcock
Larry Brown
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 2:35 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks for confirming those stories I'd heard previously, guys. The 3" 16's were made for such a brief period of time, and they definitely never caught on. My 1940 Shooter's Bible shows no 3" 16ga shells, and they list everything available from all the American ammo makers.
Bronco
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:38 am  Reply with quote

3in 16ga Shocked Sheeesh--I'm still waiting on Graf's to restock 2.5in Cheddite hulls.