16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  old(15yo) 8-fold Winchester Upland Game hulls
prefsnider
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:23 am  Reply with quote

Amongst my stash of old 16 ga Winchester CF hulls, I've found a couple hundred Win Upland Game 3-piece (low dark-colored (blk?) plastic base wad & low brass) 8-fold crimp hulls. Amongst my reloading data, I can't find data for these specific hulls. Do they load like the Win CF's, Rem SP's, Federal Hi-Powers, or Fiocchi plastics? TIA
~Pete
dogchaser37
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:36 am  Reply with quote

I had a bunch of those once. They were made of the same plastic that the old Winchester 12 and 20 ga game loads. They aren't worth much and I tossed them. The plastic is soft and they are a pain to get a nice crimp to form.

I would cut open a Fiocchi, Cheddite and one of those Winchesters, I bet they are close. I wouldn't load as a Federal as the shape of the Federal inside is a bit different.
sheabert
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:21 am  Reply with quote

aren't they just winchester polyformed hulls? I have a bunch of those and i love them. Hodgdon has data for them.
dogchaser37
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:50 am  Reply with quote

Yes they are, if I find anymore you can have them!!
spr310
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:58 am  Reply with quote

The winchester polyformed have a 6 fold crimp.I just tossed a bunch of hulls like that. The plastic is weak if they are the same as I had. When you reload them the ends of the hulls rip when shot.
sheabert
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:18 pm  Reply with quote

sounds like i am the only one who gets good results with these. lemme know if you want any taken off your hands.
prefsnider
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:48 pm  Reply with quote

sheabert - Do the hulls you are loading have an 8 fold crimp? I have a 1997 Hodgdon Basic Reloaders Manual and no 16 ga Winchester poly-formed hull is listed, only compression-formed. What recipe are you using? (Primer, powder & wad)
sheabert
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:05 pm  Reply with quote

Try the online loading manual at Hodgdon's website. Yes, my hulls are 8 point, ribbed, red with a low silver steel base and a deep red internal basewad. I use win209 20 gr universal with a Gualandi 21mm wad and 1oz shot. i think that gives 1165fps and about 8000psi
Ron Overberg
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:29 pm  Reply with quote

I believe the ones that have the stamp upland are a paper base wad. I have several boxes of Winchester a red and white style and the ones I have shot were paper base wads. I checked back to the older lyman shotgun book #2 and they didn't even mention the hull. When did you buy the hulls or do you remember?
Best,
Ron
sheabert
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:23 pm  Reply with quote

mine were hidden at the local shop, they were reloads. Winchester upland game
dogchaser37
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:45 pm  Reply with quote

Sheabert,

The real poly-formed were made 15 to 20 years ago.I think you have the newer style Winchesters made about 10 years ago. The newer style Winchesters are a lot more reloadable. I believe that they were originally made in the USA, now from all accounts they are made in Australia.

There is no source of reloading data for the original polyformed, that I am aware of. The only possible exception is a Winchester Data Manual.

Last edited by dogchaser37 on Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:51 pm; edited 2 times in total
sheabert
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:50 pm  Reply with quote

that makes sense.
prefsnider
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:20 pm  Reply with quote

I bought mine in Manistique, MI in +/-1994. They were at the local hardware store, and were a find at the time. Very few 16 ga around even then. So I'm guessing that the hull design is in the 25 yr ago time frame. I just cut one apart. Definitely a low black one-piece plastic basewad, yellow brass, and thin ribbed opaque red plastic tube hull (thinner than the compression-formed ones I have). The stamp in the brass is Winchester 16 GA, just like the CF hulls. Must be just another one of the variations of Win polyformed hulls. Anybody else have a recipe to suggest?
Ron Overberg
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:32 am  Reply with quote

Please discribe the box. It is interesting that the upland hulls had the solid base wad. This will be something to ponder as the snow is falling again.
Ron
Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:46 am  Reply with quote

dogchaser37 wrote:
Sheabert,

The real poly-formed were made 15 to 20 years ago.I think you have the newer style Winchesters made about 10 years ago. The newer style Winchesters are a lot more reloadable. I believe that they were originally made in the USA, now from all accounts they are made in Australia.

There is no source of reloading data for the original polyformed, that I am aware of. The only possible exception is a Winchester Data Manual.

I know of two possibilities for the polyformed hulls. They may be the original Mark V design that used a separate base wad. Or they could be a hull that was used after Winchester discontinued the compression formed hull. In 1999 after Winchester discontinued the WAA16 compression formed hull and before they moved production to Italy (and subsequently to Australia) they made a domestic 3 piece Reifenhaeuser type hull with a bright silver head and smooth tube. The tube was extremely soft and not worth a damn for reloading. I remember shooting these and it looked like it was filled with confetti. In actuality Winchester was loading their promotional 16 gauge shells with a fiber wad with plastic sleeve.

I looked throgh my old reload data, some of which dates to 1970 and could not find anything for any of the Winchester non-compression formed 16 gauge hulls.