16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  2 3/4 vs. 2 1/2 shells
DougK
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 6:06 pm  Reply with quote

Does anyone have experience with using both in a 2 3/4 16 ga? I am thinking (I think I can) of using 2 1/2 inch shells in in my 2 3/4 16 ga. Will it work and am I losing anything?

Thanks,
Doug
hoashooter
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 6:44 pm  Reply with quote

Kinda like shooting 357's in a 38.Two hints make sure the shorter one is ALWAYS used in a 2 3/4 chamber.Two the shorter shell will not harm anything-but scrub the chamber out extra good.You will not loose anything but a small percentage of the shot payload.Velocities should remain normal.Save your empties--- Wink Wink Wink Wink
Roadkill
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 6:47 pm  Reply with quote

Shooting 357's in a 38?? BAD idea Evil or Very Mad

Last edited by Roadkill on Sat Jan 07, 2006 6:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
DougK
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 6:49 pm  Reply with quote

I think it was 38 in a 357.

Is there a significant decrease in kick with the 2 1/2 chell?
Roadkill
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 6:53 pm  Reply with quote

No change, unless the shot charge or velocity changes.
16GAwaterfowler
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 7:01 pm  Reply with quote

Actually if your shooting 1oz or 7/8 oz loads the 2 1/2" shells should be a bit more efficient case capacity and crimp height wise. The shorter shells will develope higher pressures with the same powder charges as the 2 3/4" shells due to decreased hull volume. As far as performance goes you shouldn't even notice the difference.
hoashooter
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 7:31 pm  Reply with quote

DANG IT SORRY GUYS--I meant to say shooting 38's in a 357 Embarassed Embarassed
Roadkill
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 7:59 pm  Reply with quote

We figgered that - just couldn't resist a chance at a good needling Very Happy Very Happy
All in good spirit.
Bill
hoashooter
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 8:11 pm  Reply with quote

Heck I can barely concentrate on one thing at a time-----I was on the phone with one of my squadmates and trying to think/type at the same time.As Clint Eastwood said"A mans gotta know his limitations"HA-- Mr. Green Mr. Green If I am this bad now what will happen when I get older??The old fogeys I squad with are rubbing off on me Laughing Laughing Laughing --But I haven't left my gun at the club when done-----YET!!!!!!
Larry Brown
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 3:42 pm  Reply with quote

Although the shorter hulls might develop higher pressures if they used the same powder charge as a 2 3/4" hull, you can be close to 100% sure that a 2 1/2" 16ga will, in fact, be lower pressure than a factory 2 3/4" 16. Reason: the 2 1/2" shells are loaded to CIP (British/European) standards, which require lower pressure than SAAMI (American) standards. No problem using them in 2 3/4" chambered 16's, any more than there is shooting 2 3/4" 12's (or 20's) in a gun with 3" chambers.
Parker Trojan
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 7:42 pm  Reply with quote

Doug K : Been doing it in my Trojan for years; I like 'em
DougK
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 7:18 am  Reply with quote

Larry Brown wrote:
you can be close to 100% sure that a 2 1/2" 16ga will, in fact, be lower pressure than a factory 2 3/4" 16.

Larry given your knowledge and expertise on this topic will the 2 1/2" shells have lets kick and if so will one feel it?

Thanks,
Doug
Bronco
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 7:46 am  Reply with quote

I believe that the shorter hulls do develop higher pressures. When loading 2.75 inch hulls for my old English double, 2.5 inch chambers, with 21.1 gr of recommended powder, the resulting pressure is 7330psi. 19.5gr of the same powder, same wads, same shot load, same primer, in a 2.5in hull gives a little over 7600psi. These loads have been tested by the 16ga lowpressure reloading group. I would highly recommend joining this group. Bob
Birdswatter
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:32 pm  Reply with quote

I've been playing with some 7/8 oz recipes from the reloading group in my 2.5" Vintager (Cheddite) hulls. They perform incredibly well and even hold their own against the big boy 12 gauges on the trap range. The ones I've been loading have virtuallly no recoil, even in the 6 Lb Merkel, and smoke clays just like 2.75"s. They are actually becoming my favorite reloads to shoot. It's also really gratifying to show those little green shells to the other shooters when they ask what you just beat them with!!!

On a side note, I rarely see 16 ga. guns at the range. I take the opportunity to talk them up whenever I can. If we show how well these perform and work on converting other shooters, the noisier we will be with gun and ammo manufacturers. Stick your 16's in their faces! If you shoot clean and smoke a guy with a $12,000 Perazzi, talk to him in a positive way and extol the virtues of the 16. You'll never pry him away from his P-gun, but maybe his next purchase for use other than competition will be a 16. I was a hard sell until I started shooting and reloading 16's, now most of the other guns are sitting in the safe.

One guy at the range told me he owns numerous 16's, but doesn't shoot them except for hunting because you can only reload the shells successfully with two powders!!! We have to educate these folks!

I should probably start this on another thread, but the words started flowing Wink ........cheers!
hoashooter
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:50 pm  Reply with quote

Thay's EXACTLY the reason the 16 has slid into the position it now holds---Behind the other gauges-namely the 12.I f ya grow up/start loading /listen to/never experience/ or have no peers what shoot the 16 this is the end result.16 GA SHOOTERS AREA PROUD MINORITY-The problem is what we are a small part of the entire shotgun population.You are right on the money-if we do not express ourselves the 16 will no longer have any supporters in the future.I take every chance avaliable to express to others my interest in the 16.I let other shooters exercise my 16's and welcome their questions.May West possibly sais it best --Whenever they quit talkin' bout ya they don't care no more--not a quote but ya'll get the picture