16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  2 3/4 vs. 2 1/2 shells
Larry Brown
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:15 pm  Reply with quote

Doug, assume you're talking about factory 2 1/2" shells, not reloads. Recoil is a function of shot charge and velocity. If you're shooting a 2 1/2" shell with an ounce of shot at 1200 fps, the recoil would be the same as a 2 3/4" shell, same shot charge, same velocity. Most American factory 16's are fairly "hot", because they have to have enough recoil to make old, seldom-cleaned autoloaders function. But most 2 1/2" factory shells will be relatively hot as well, because they are mostly hunting vs target loads. The way to reduce recoil is by reducing shot charge and/or velocity. Most of us that reload have found that going to 7/8 oz cuts recoil considerably. But it's hard to find factory 16's lighter than 1 oz.
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:42 pm  Reply with quote

Just got my Galazan chamber gauge thingy's and found out the chambers of my 1926 12g. Trojan are 2 and 5/8 (the dealer claimed they were 2 and 3/4) and my 1922 20g. Trojan were 2 and 1/2!
I've been using the Estate 3/4 oz loads in the 20 (of course no longer made-when you find something you like buy 10 cases!) and compared the unfired shells to AA's and they are 1/8 " shorter and have almost no kick. I guess this explains the WICKED recoil with the 7/8 AA's.
At least my 1940 16g Model 12 says 2 3/4 on the barrel!
Would suggest these gauges are an extremely good investment for $40 + $10 shipping.