16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Double Triggers on the Skeet Range
DougK
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:45 am  Reply with quote

I am looking to use my SxS with double trigger on the skeet range. Does anyone have any experieince with double triggers on the range? I am not looking for an excuse to get another gun, but am interested in the experieince, pitfalls ect.

Thanks,
Doug
Bronco
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 7:30 am  Reply with quote

DougK, I wouldn't call myself a skeet shooter, but get in maybe 6-8 rounds/month. I have been shooting my grandfather's 16ga M12 for the past 40 years but recently acquired a Chas. Smith & Sons 16 ga double with double triggers. Initially, it was more trouble to move my finger between triggers that shuck the pump gun, but I am starting to get the hang of it and this past Sunday afternoon managed a 20 in the blustering wind. The more I shoot it, the more natural it feels. I use the F bbl for the going away shots and the IC bbl for the close birds. Took some getting used to the auto safety, but I sure like not having to pick up hulls as the gun has extractors. Bob
hoashooter
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:55 pm  Reply with quote

I would guess this is your hunting gun which you are familiar with.By all means take it to the skeet range.I have one shooter who uses a two triggered 440 field gun with good results.
R. D. Gattis
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:22 pm  Reply with quote

DougK,

Double triggers present no more problem on the skeet range than in the hunting field. I shoot skeet low gun exclusively with side-by-sides with double triggers in 20, 16 and 12 gauge (mostly 16). Of course, nearly 40 years of shooting only double triggers helps. I will frequently alternate shooting the front then the back trigger first just for drill on doubles.

That said, a couple of my single trigger friends have attempted to shoot my double trigger side-by-sides only getting one shot off while watching the second bird fly on unscathed.

You will be able to do just fine on the skeet range with double triggers; just takes some practice getting used to your gun. You will like it.

Good shooting,
R. D.

DougK
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:14 pm  Reply with quote

That you all for the insights about the double triggers on the range. Yes I was going to take my hunting gun to the range for fun and practice. I figured skeet was a good choice to emulate Dove. In the field I dont have a problem with the double triggers, for me they are a hard requirement for a field gun. The double triggers allow me to quickly react tot he bird and select the right choke while mounting the gun. With a quick follow up if needed on a second bird, or first bird Laughing

Thanks
Doug
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:18 pm  Reply with quote

Suspect most of us shoot skeet and sporting to be better shooters in the field and would all do much better if we stuck with one style of shotgun-SxS, O/U, auto, or pump. I usually shoot 1-2 X/ wk and after the bird season, I'll take a vacation from skeet and sporting and shoot trap with my old Model 12 until my flinch and recoil (even with 7/8 oz. loads) induced dizzy head becomes intolerable. Then for the rest of the year it's double trigger SxS's only. As it gets closer to bird season, I shoot doubles only every station skeet so there is no awareness of moving the trigger finger. Use the lightest loads you have confidence in BUT before bird season use loads about the same fps as the field loads you'll be using or you'll likely lead the birds too much. Quail and pheasant usually speed up-clay targets slow down.
The Sun City skeet shooters come out to Ben Avery Tues. am's and there are some delightful gentlemen that usually beat me but seem to enjoy a young kid (I'm 53) with his 75 yo SxS joining them.
Wolfchief
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:21 pm  Reply with quote

revdocdrew---I have to agree with you that most of us would probably do better sticking to one gun at skeet, trap or what-have-you. My trouble is, I like all kinds of shotguns and cannot resist dragging them out individually on occasion, just for variety's sake.

For example, I shoot in a winter skeet league and had initially resolved to use only my 12 gauge Model 12 skeet gun to shoot those targets. But when I got my 16 ga. 26" Citori, and the skeet chokes arrived from Midway, I couldn't help but use the 16. Both guns fit me though, and I really think, barring a significant weight/balance difference, that the gun fit is the key. I can't actually tell much difference; I can usually shoot 24's and 25's with both guns when the chips are down and my head's on straight.

As to the double triggers, I once owned a Browning BSS Sidelock in 12 ga. choked IC/Mod. Those guns came with double triggers, and they took some getting used to, but I distinctly remember that during the relatively brief period I owned that gun, I shot decent skeet scores with it, including a couple of 50-straights. Here again, that gun fit me like a glove and pointed beautifully; I didn't dwell on the fact it had double triggers. I had a great deal of confidence in it. That's a big factor, I think, in shooting good scores on clay birds.....

bustingclays
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:55 pm  Reply with quote

Gentlemen:

Funny how things work sometimes.

In regards to age at the skeet field. Sometimes I am the youngest (47) on Tuesday and Thursday when I slip out of the office. In fact many times the rest are more than 20 years my age. They really grumble when they find out I don't pay social security Twisted Evil Wink (not required of University Faculty in IL).

I shoot single or double trigger guns about equally well, although with gloves, if not very tight fitting, the second trigger can be a handful sometimes. I have run a number of 50 straights (plus - never have made it 75 yet) with Dad's Old Gun (16 ga fox model B) lately in skeet.

In regards to fit - I have an skb 385 20/28 gauge set with 30 inch barrels and screw in tubes and by dang I can't shoot the 20 as well as the 28 Confused . I have run a number of 100 straights in skeet with the 28, but I am lucky to break 25 straight with the 20 gauge barrels on the gun. The 28 ga barrels are sleeved so weight is not that much different and the forends are almost identical. Best I can figure is recoil, but I run 100s with my other 16 and other 20 gauge guns (fox 20 ga BDE comes to mind) . hmmmm........

I also usually don't favor one gun at skeet. I have about 15 or so I rotate randomly through Wink . A couple of years ago I would shoot 400 in 16 ga, then 400 in 20, then 400 in 28 and then 400 in 410 and then start over - took me about 3 weeks to shoot this roundtable. I am more random now - depends upon which gun crys the most when I open the safe.

In any case, As you saw from my post detailing shells shot in 2005 about 32% of my shells each year go through 16 gauge guns.

Dr. 16 Gauge
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:00 am  Reply with quote

I probably should have said most of us shoot skeet and sporting to be better field shots AND BECAUSE IT'S FUN!!! And it's fun to shoot lots of guns. For some reason, I've never shot anything better than a Model 12 and an Ithaca M-37 (including some quality O/U's) and my fun skeet gun is a 16g. M-12.
How about this: for 2-3 mths before bird season, shoot the style of gun and triggers you're going to use for birds. I'm so rattled when a covey of Ks quail gets up the last thing I need is to think about pumping (yes, I HAVE tried to pump the forend of my 20g. Trojan quail gun) or how many triggers I have.
Sorta off topic but let's all try hard to get new shooters interested in the shotgun sports. When I was on the faculty of U. or Mo.-KC School of Medicine, it was great fun and very gratifying to take male and lots of female med students out shooting. If done right-they have fun and it completely changes their attitude about guns, shooting and bird hunting.
Same with the Boy Scouts. Those of us with way more guns than we need (but fewer than we want) might even think about giving a gun to some young person and taking him/her along to the gun club.
It seems that most of my 50-something friends have not been able to interest their sons in shooting and bird hunting. I was west-bound on 54 across southern Ks. heading back to Phoenix from S. Dakota and KC the second Sun. of bird season this year and paid attention to all the SUV's with bird hunters east bound. Vast majority of guys seemed to be 30-50 years old and saw almost no teens hunting with their dads. Kinda sad.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:32 am  Reply with quote

I would absolutely recommend shooting low gun skeet with the guns you normally hunt with. Start doing so in August and shoot them often. Wolfchief hit a vital note exactly right about gun fit. It is key to the move/mount shoot style of shotgunning required for flushing birds. I your guns don't come to your shoulder and cheek naturally, smoothly, and pointing exactly where your eyes are looking, have them fitted. You will be amazed at the increase in your accuracy and speed. Plus, your gun will stop clouting you in the face.

RevDoc, the following advice is for you and anyone else being clouted by their trap guns. Assuming the shooter is using effectively adequate hearing protection, poor gun fit is the main cause of recoil pain and the flinch, especially in trap shooting. We can premount the gun and get a fairly close rib/bead/eye alignment if we force our faces to fit the stock. However, once the gun is fired, everything comes apart as we try to dodge the impending slap in the kisser from the wallop of a poorly fitted stock. This is a classic flinch. A properly contouredadjustable cheek piece and a well fitted, properly pitched recoil pad at the perfect LOP will eliminate the pain and the flinch, even with stout handicap loads.

I have found that far too many shotguns, trap or field have too sharp or narrow a stock cheek radius at the top. It may look racy and saves on stock wood, by allowing the companies to use thinner blanks, but it will smack the heck out of your cheek. It's one of the prices we pay for affordable, mass produced shotguns.

I spent a long time fitting my Perazzi TMX to my face. I found a full, well rounded radius on the top of the cheek piece set at the correct height and offset (cast off) for my eye/rib/bead relationship helped tremendously. I had to rasp off some of the top of the too narrow radius on the existing factory contoured stock cheek. I used a thin piece of sorbothane cheek pad to help fill out the contour as well as soften the surface. My stock has also been fitted with an adjustable butt plate that lets me set the drop and toe angle to fit my shoulder pocket perfectly. the stock was cut at the perfect pitch and LOP when this plate was fitted. However, there are shims available to fit the gun pitch perfectly if you need to. Once I hit on the right stock fit and cheek piece radius, all the pain and discomfort was gone. I can now shoot several hundred rounds per session and have no ill effects at all. I was a terrible flincher until this.

Fit your stock to your face and shoulder as well as have it set up for the type of stooting you will be doing. I cannot stress this point enough. Then shoot the gun with the correct style for the intended purpose frequently. There is no other way if you want to be a solid, accurate, and deadly shot. 16GG.[/b]
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:06 am  Reply with quote

thanks 16guageguy and couldn't agree more with everything you said-especially the importance of fit in our field guns.
I really have enjoyed trap the last 20 yrs and have been through pretty much everything (except a release trigger) and about 15 trap guns-from auto's to fully adjustable high quality SBT's. There's been alot of good infro in Shotgun Sports about gun fit and flinch and clearly one component of flinch is a neurologic issue quite similar to the 'yips' in golfers. The Mayo Clinic both in Rochester and Scottsdale has been doing interesting research in that regard and at one point was soliciting research subjects to participate in clinical treatment trials.
Unfortunately I'm pretty much stuck because of five problems: 1. several sports and accident related concussions 2. a familial intention tremor with myclonic jerking (not Tourette's) 3. familial otosclerosis that causes loss of hearing, tinnitus, and loss of equilibrium 4. bad DJD in my neck and back and 5. I'm a jogging and swimming in good shape pencil neck geek (6'21/2" 175# wearing 35" shirt sleeves)
Anyway: I'm just very thankful that, other than the hearing and tinnitus issue, I have little problems shooting 2-3 rounds of LOW GUN skeet twice/ wk. I'm sure no one is interested in my personal shooting problems but the point is that many of us-related to vision, arthritis, equilibrium, etc.-
are blessed just to be out there doing what gives us so much pleasure. One of the Sun City fella's is 93 and usually shoots 22-23 and another guy has a right hemiparesis from a previous stroke and STILL comes out and does his best (which usually ain't too bad) God bless them for still trying!
One of the game preserves around KC (Hertzog's) gives a free hunt to anyone turning 90 during the season and almost every year has a taker-and one guy just bought a new GSP! There are some tough old gentlemen in MO. & KS.
Chukarman
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:52 am  Reply with quote

I shoot my DT guns at skeet quite a bit. Not formal skeet, but low gun skeet. The doubles, especially, are good to practice rear trigger - front trigger sequences.

If your skeet range has the option of 'international' or Olympic targets - faster, with a delay of up to three seconds, you will really have some fun.

There is NO penalty for having double triggers - they are just as fast, and more reliable, than single triggers.

Go shooting.

C Man

PS: Shooting skeet with a pre-mounted gun is useless for practice. Besides, only a sissy would do so.

revdocdrew
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:08 pm  Reply with quote

I'm sorry-got one more thing that actually is on topic. My 3 SxS's were made in 00', 22' and 26' and have more drop than my previous OU's and pumps. I must shoot with a much more erect head position and as if by magic am a better wing shooter and do just as well on low gun skeet and don't get dizzy. McIntosh has been telling us this for yrs.
Sorta off topic again re: tough old guys. I'd put the german and scandinavian's from Iowa, Neb., and the Dakota's right up there but the most amazing I've met were Mennonite gentlemen from N. of Wichita-driving tractors all day and putting up hay in their 90's. Wow!
k28ga
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:14 pm  Reply with quote

i have shot many thousands of rounds at the skeet club. i have shot my 16 sxs double trigger in at least three leagues, i do not know of any problems that will come up after the first two stations. i always know that i am shooting two triggers and have not had an occassion where that was a problem for me. even when i switch guns to shoot a different gauge that has a single trigger and then switch back, no problem. several of my fellow shooter at St Louis Skeet and Trap club shoot double trigger guns and seem to not have a problem. good luck to you and good shooting.

karl
weagle
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:40 pm  Reply with quote

For years I avoided shotguns with two triggers like the plague. My first shotgun was a semi auto, and I just couldn't seem to imagine that I would be able to shoot well with 2 trggers.

I only recently saw the light when I purchased an old winchester 24, 16 ga that of course had 2 triggers. When I took it out to shoot some 5 stand, I was suprised at how natural it was after only a dozen or so targets. I now have no qualms whatsoever about shooting 2 triggers.

Weagle
________
MEXICO HOTELS

Last edited by weagle on Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:00 am; edited 1 time in total