16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Double Triggers on the Skeet Range
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 1:22 pm  Reply with quote

Went out to Ben Avery this am for some low gun skeet with the 105 yo DOUBLE TRIGGER Damascus GH. Gave up on the 12-410 tubes and tried the new 26gm AA Featherlites (not so labeled now-only a feather on the box) Weren't the old one's 28 gm ? They were so slow really messed up my leads.
Anyway-the new shells seem faster and have just enough recoil to feel like my field loads and patterned very well. HOW ABOUT A 24 GM 16 LOAD???
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 7:50 pm  Reply with quote

Sorta on topic-how about 2 triggers on the trap range. Went out early to Ben Avery this am and pretty cold for AZ- 40 and north wind in my face at 25mph. We get cold blooded pretty quick out here and the trap range was empty so I stood about 10yds behind the trap house and loaded my IC/M SxS with 2 shells and called for the target low gun. If missed with right brl-shot again with the left OR shot at any large pieces from the first hit. The targets were really climbing into the wind and had a BLAST.
Excellent practice for pheasants AND using the second trigger.
bustingclays
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 9:39 pm  Reply with quote

Hey Doc:

I have recently acquired a 16 ga Fox Model B that has double triggers and mod/full chokes. When I shoot trap with this gun I use the front trigger (mod barrel) for the stations 2, 3, and 4 and the back trigger (full choke) for stations 1 and 5. I have not tried low gun - hmmmmm..... I have shot 16 yard straights with the front/back trigger method and this gun.

Interesting (sad) story on how I received this gun. About 3 years back we hired a new faculty member as a replacement. Not quite my age and was into firearms - ipsc pistol shooting and military collections mostly. Not long after he joined us he developed some blood sugar issues and his weight ballooned up - enough to go through laproscopy. After which he was rejuvinated - for more than a year. One day, however, after returning from church he sat down to read the paper and his wife ran up to the store and returned about 20 minutes later to find him slipped away in the easy chair. I asked if she needed help and she declined - did not press the issue. Well, about 6 months later a friend of mine - Dave - (not connected with the university, but knew them through church) shows up with about 5 16 ga shotguns at Edwardsville Gun Club on Thursday league night - 4 A5s and this gun - the A5s were all short chambered. I took a look - he was asking $400 for the fox - pretty good shape. I told him I would think about it and returned to my seat. Not 5 minutes later another friend of mine came into the club and I heard him ask Dave - "is that from the estate of the faculty member?" and the reply was "yes". I turned around, asked Dave if funds were going to faculty members wife - he said yes and I reached for the checkbook. I also got a S&W Model 36 38 special (in box), an HK 4 with 380, 32, 25, and 22 barrels (4 barrel set), and a S&W 2214 22 for the boss. The A5s and other guns also went to good homes. Sorry my colleague is gone and I remember him each time I shoot any of these guns.

Dr. 16 Gauge
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 9:00 am  Reply with quote

It seems that I actually get on the target more quickly and focus only on the target rather than the 'bird-bead relationship' when shooting 'low gun' trap.
RE: the sad passing of your fellow faculty member. We are rapidly losing the 'best generation' and need to cherish the time-especially in the field-we have left. And alot of 'boomers' are dying way too young.
I re-read the Obit of Dave Gruber just yesterday and was reminded that we live on in the memories of those we leave behind, and those memories can be tied into the guns we used and loved. The best thing we can leave is our good name, reputation and honor (something you don't hear much about today) and maybe children.
NO ONE HAS TO READ THIS NEXT PART
For a Muslim, our 'good name' is in obedience to the Sharia law of Allah, for a Jew, obedience to the Mitzvot of YHWH, and a Christian, to be a disciple (mathetes) of Jesus and His teachings (didache) We could ALL be more thoughtful about the legacy and memories (good and bad) we are leaving behind and maybe making things right with people we love BEFORE IT IS TOO LATE.
SORRY: it is the Lord's Day and I'm leaving for a medical mission trip to Guatemala Tues and am really not being theatrical saying it's possible I may not make it back home. Who out there should I tell my wife gets my Parkers and 16g. Model 12 if I don't??? (sorry-not a chance!)
sbs470
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 6:34 am  Reply with quote

hi guys
I love shooting double trigger side by side guns both trap and skeet.
in Australia we shoot English trap whisk is shot double barrel.shooting with a lower than normal trap stoch you have to cover the bird which requires some quick shooting and an even quicker second barrel.I love it .the arm chair experts have some trouble accepting the fact that I can get the second barrel away so quick.shooting skeet gun down is just like shooting in a duck swamp swing and reflex reaction shooting it just comes natural.
some thing that takes some getting used to is shooting heavy double rifles.
with double rifles you should use the back trigger first as pulling the front trigger the recoil can cause fanning which I can assure does hurt as I can tell you its something I wouldn't want to do again.I have fanned the triggers on my 470 and my light 500 I have seen a mate of mine fan a 600 nitro H&H and he is a pretty solid boy but it did lift his front foot of the ground.
Just use those double triggers
good shooting
sbs470