16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Need load data for old sxs
dcrocker
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 10:05 am  Reply with quote

I am new to this site and new to old 16 gauge guns. I just purchased an Ithaca NID Grade 1 made in 1929. I am looking for info on loads appropriate for this gun. I have some Remington black hulls and just purchased some Fiocchi blue hulls from Precision. I have both the Remington and new Down Range wads. Also, purchased some of the Polywad spreader inserts as the gun is choked Mod/Full and I would like to shoot some skeet. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Dale
Rrusse11
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 10:46 am  Reply with quote

dcrocker,
What chamber length? Best thing you can do IMHO is to join the Low Pressure group, LOTS of load data for 65mm and 70mm, well worth the cost of entry.
Cheers,
R*2
Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 11:26 am  Reply with quote

Russe11's recommendation on joining the 16 gauge reloader's group is excellent. Lots of tested reload data to cover about any situating but I don't recall any 1 1/4 magnum stuff. Your NID was designed by Ithaca to handle any factory loads of the period and they did a good job of building a very stout gun. You can use any load that does not exceed SAAMI pressure standards in your NID but since you have a gun with 80 year old wood that has probably soaked up a fair amount of oil I would recommend a load that generates 19 foot pounds of recoil or less. That generally equates to 1 ounce loads at 1220 fps or less or about the equivalent of Remington Express or promotional Remington Game loads or Winchester SuperX loads.