16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  RGL's feeding & extracting problems, in a Pump Gun.
Lefty Dude
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:26 pm  Reply with quote

I have a Winchester 97/16, for factory ammo I use both Winchester & RGL's.

The Winchester Super X feed & extract with no problems. However the RGL's have problems. As I am running low on the Winchester's I decided to get this problem resolved, once and for all. Confused I also use all brass shells and Cheditte/Winchester reloads, with no problems.

First I checked the Shell OAL, and then the brass base dimension. Seems the Winchester is smaller than the RGL base in all samples of several boxes.

I have a MEC Super-Sizer and ran some thru the sizer collet.

Problem solved ! My 1941 Winchester 97 must have a tight chamber.

Now the Factory RGL's cycle and feed as they should, and like the factory Winchester's

Any of you RGL's users have this problem ?
tdnathens
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:13 am  Reply with quote

Every 16ga model 97 I have ever measured had a short chamber. I am only talking about the ones marked 2 3/4 on the barrel. I have measured over 75. Each one of them measured 2 5/8 or less. I realise that part of the chamber is in the frame. I am including this. Most ejection problems will be solved or greatly helped by having the chamber opened to the proper size. When you lengthen the chamber you are cutting away your forcing cone so we always lengthen the forcing cone at the same time. As a side benefit felt recoil is usually reduced.
Tom
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:40 am  Reply with quote

Leftie, I too had feeding issues in both my Ithaca model 37 repeaters. You have come to use the same solution I did. I have to resize all my RGL cases in a MEC collet type resizer. In my case, it is the sizing station on my Grabber. It is identical to the newest Super Sizer.

I found the unfired RGL rims vary in size somewhat. So I have set the station to size the rim down to just below the average factory new dimensions. Doing so has cleared up 99% of the feeding problems.

The steel rim on the RGL case is one of the hardest to resize. I don't exactly know why. It could be the initial size of the factory rim, the thickness of the steel, or the relative hardness of the steel Remington uses for this case. I have to set the resizing station to squeeze the RGL rim well below the finished size I want. The first resizing takes the most force. The rim springs back to the size I want in most cases. A few rims still do not resize down far enough and will cause a jam on repeat shots. However, the ones that come out okay resize far easier after the first one. I sort the few that jam and use them for first shots on the next target. A second resizing will usually bring them into line.

The needed setting to properly resize my RGL hulls results in undersizing the rims of all other brands whether they are brass or steel. So I have documented the station setting needed for my RGL hulls to make adjusting it back and forth quicker and easier.

I have about 5K or so RGL hulls saved up and use them for 90% of my reloading. Most are used for recreational light target loads. Most hulls are discarded by the third reloading due to split hull mouths. I've decided to use these hulls up and then find a better one. I probably will not buy anymore unless Remington improves the quality and workability of the hull.

I'm not holding my breath here either. I think Remington will cease to be before this happens (me too, I will probably pass over before I use my stash up). I also expect another company will see the light and offer a hull for the 16 that reloads better than the ones we can get at this time. At least I hope so. We could sure use one.
Lefty Dude
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:13 pm  Reply with quote

tdnathens wrote:
Every 16ga model 97 I have ever measured had a short chamber. I am only talking about the ones marked 2 3/4 on the barrel. I have measured over 75. Each one of them measured 2 5/8 or less. I realise that part of the chamber is in the frame. I am including this. Most ejection problems will be solved or greatly helped by having the chamber opened to the proper size. When you lengthen the chamber you are cutting away your forcing cone so we always lengthen the forcing cone at the same time. As a side benefit felt recoil is usually reduced.
Tom

I am well aware of the 97/16 short chamber. I had the forcing cone/chamber lengthened. on this gun.

Thanks for your concern.

16GG;

Nice to know I am not alone with this problem. I have no problem with my older Remington 870/16. It feeds & extracts any 16 ga. case I load in the Mag tube and it is a 1950's piece.

I also have a life-time supply of RGL's, they are different tho, and I only reload them once.

Thanks for you reply.
Square Load
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:28 pm  Reply with quote

Had the opposite experience with my A-5. It would cycle all the RGL's I fed it. Bought 2 boxes of Winnies and it would jam about 1/3 of the time from the the brass (steel) expanding and sticking in the chamber. This was about 5 years ago.

Current 16ga. Stable

Browning Citori Gr I
Browning Belgium Sweet 16
A.H. Fox Sterlingworth
Remington 11-48
Remington 31
Remington 870
Geco/J.P. Sauer BLNE
Winchester Mod 12
Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:09 pm  Reply with quote

Square Load wrote:
Had the opposite experience with my A-5. It would cycle all the RGL's I fed it. Bought 2 boxes of Winnies and it would jam about 1/3 of the time from the the brass (steel) expanding and sticking in the chamber. This was about 5 years ago.

Just goes to show you that if God didn't want shotguns to malfunction he wouldn't have made repeaters.
dogchaser37
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:20 pm  Reply with quote

Then again, you can't triple on roosters with a side by side!!
Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:04 am  Reply with quote

dogchaser37 wrote:

Oh??? Triple on Pheasant? Tell me and be honest have you been hunting with 15gg again?
Tulsey
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:12 am  Reply with quote

Very Informative thread. My cowboy 97 16 ga with athroated chamber had problems ejecting the super x. hulls. They would often not clear the action properly. I talked to gunsmith who had worked on the gun and he made changes in the extractor or ejector, I don't remember which and it now shoots those shells fine. I had weighed the hulls before he worked on it and found those Super x were much lighter than other brands and would land much closer than the heavier other brands. The other day I shot a cowboy match and used the Remington game loads for a change. I had one that did not want to chamber right. Sounded like problem other poster described.

In 12 ga, I have had extraction problems with the super x in my 11-87 with both a target barrel and a field barrel and a Winchester model 12 It seems those cheap Winchesters base had expanded and made it hard to come out. Hard extraction on the model 12 . Sometimes the Remington 11-87 would leave the hull in the chamber when the bolt recoiled.

I have seen some of the supposedly same load in the Federal and Estate not have the same recoil push in 12 ga and over a chronograph there was a significant loss in velocity between 20 ga Federal and Super with the Federals being 100 fps slower

Looks like anymore you have to try the promo shells to make sure they work in your shotgun.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:51 am  Reply with quote

Twice Barrel wrote:
dogchaser37 wrote:

Oh??? Triple on Pheasant? Tell me and be honest have you been hunting with 15gg again?

Not likely Too Bad. Someone would probably have a hunting accident. I won't be there, so it won't be me. :Hey, why not invite my ole' buddy Dick Cheney. I hear he is always looking for new hunting partners Laughing .
dogchaser37
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:25 am  Reply with quote

Twice Barrel, nah, and I have never shot a triple on roosters yet either. Just want to bust on the sxs guys a little.

Last year in Nebraska I did come close, shot the double, the third rooster went stage left around the end of the plum thickets, never got to pull the trigger the third time. That was the closest I have ever come to the triple on a nice solid point with the birds getting up all at once. Maybe someday, but the bad thing about doubles and triples is that it ends the hunt too soon, but they are kinda fun.
Square Load
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:38 am  Reply with quote

Tulsey wrote:

In 12 ga, I have had extraction problems with the super x in my 11-87 with both a target barrel and a field barrel and a Winchester model 12 It seems those cheap Winchesters base had expanded and made it hard to come out. Hard extraction on the model 12 . Sometimes the Remington 11-87 would leave the hull in the chamber when the bolt recoiled.

That is exactly the same problem I had with the 16ga SuperX in my Auto-5

Current 16ga. Stable

Browning Citori Gr I
A.H. Fox Sterlingworth
Remington 11-48
Remington 31
Remington 870
Geco/J.P. Sauer BLNE
Winchester Mod 12
Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:06 am  Reply with quote

Square Load wrote:
Tulsey wrote:

Sounds as if your guns have developed rough chambers from light rust which often happens when using plastic hulls. Try wrapping your bore brush in OOO or OOOO steel wool soaked in a good penetrating oil such as Breakfree or Krol and scrub the heck out of it. If that doesn't allow for better extraction polish the chamber with a bit of 800 grit emery cloth wrapped around a dowel being careful not to over polish the sharp edges of the extractor grooves.
Square Load
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:52 pm  Reply with quote

Twice Barrel wrote:
Square Load wrote:
Tulsey wrote:

Sounds as if your guns have developed rough chambers from light rust which often happens when using plastic hulls. Try wrapping your bore brush in OOO or OOOO steel wool soaked in a good penetrating oil such as Breakfree or Krol and scrub the heck out of it. If that doesn't allow for better extraction polish the chamber with a bit of 800 grit emery cloth wrapped around a dowel being careful not to over polish the sharp edges of the extractor grooves.

TB,

I live in Arizona, very few things rust here.

My A-5, which is a 98% gun that has been shot very little, has functioned perfectly with every other hull it has fired, RGL's, Win CF, Feds, and all of my reloads of these three different hulls.

I could push the fired Win Super X PF hull back into the chamber with no resistance until the brass started to enter the chamber and then it would stick. Some of them were so tight I had to pry them out with a pocket knife. I measured the steel heads of these hulls with a calipers and they were larger in diameter (don't ask me how much, this was 5 years ago) than the empty RGL's and Federal hulls that I had on hand at the time. Maybe this lot of shells were higher pressure and they were expanding more? Regardless, I have never bought another box of them since and have shot at least another 2,000 rounds through the A-5 since without a hiccup.

Current 16ga. Stable

Browning Citori Gr I
A.H. Fox Sterlingworth
Remington 11-48
Remington 31
Remington 870
Geco/J.P. Sauer BLNE
Winchester Mod 12
Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:42 pm  Reply with quote

Dennis if you were shooting 5 year old Super Xs you were shooting ammuntion loaded in Italy which is/was loaded much hotter than the current Super Xs loaded in Australia. If you have had good luck with your current reloads and you are using Cheddite hulls you should have the same results with the current Super Xs because they use the same hull. I still recommend cleaning up your chamber I think you will be surprised with the amount of crud (plastic from the forcing cone, burnt powder and corrosion) that comes out on your brush.