16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Hodgdon DR16 Data
Chukarman
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:41 am  Reply with quote

Charles Hammack wrote:
Patience Slidehammer , the wad will load ALL HULLS that have ever been made and those that have yet to be made .

Regards Charles

Including the WinWAA CF hull?!

ajaxfjr
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:55 am  Reply with quote

This may be a novice question but what is PB? I could not find this on the Hodgson site.

Thanks
robp
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:16 am  Reply with quote

PB is a IMR gun powder. Use to be just IMR Dupont product before hodgdon owned IMR an Allient Its and oldie but a goody I believe it has burn rate between Allient Green Dot and Unique Has a very distint smell when burned - you can find it under IMR
Charles Hammack
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:58 am  Reply with quote

Chuckerman if you have some WW16CF you will be very happy indeed , love that hull too bad I dont have a truckload full of them for the new wad .

Regards Charles
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:12 pm  Reply with quote

Nick, I wuz kinda hoping you were hinting at a new WW16 type hull based on their latest polyformed type with improved tube plastic. Am I close?
mike campbell
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:26 pm  Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes

Last edited by mike campbell on Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Charles Hammack
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:38 am  Reply with quote

I love that !! I have framed both pictures and put them on the wall in a place of honor .

THANK YOU VERY MUCH , THANK YOU VERY MUCH , NICEST THING THAT ANYONE HAS EVER DONE FOR ME !

Mike thanks for all the effort that you went to , it has provided many hours of enjoyment to Ole Ben and I .

Regards Charles
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:15 am  Reply with quote

robp wrote:
PB is a IMR gun powder. Use to be just IMR Dupont product before hodgdon owned IMR an Allient Its and oldie but a goody I believe it has burn rate between Allient Green Dot and Unique Has a very distint smell when burned - you can find it under IMR

Ironically enough, some of the very first reloads I ever assembled were a 16 ga/PB load. It was long ago and far away, so most of the componants are long obsolete. In fact, only the R16 wad and the PB that went into the old Remington Shur Shot fiber base wad hull are still currently in production. What I do remember is what the reloading supply shop owner told me. He claimed PB is one of the most even burning, most predictable powders around. I would have to say it would be a fine powder for fairly quick stepping 7/8 ounce loads and a candidate for milder 1 ounce loads as well.

Kaye Oyhe of ATA fame used PB to load his go to singles and doubles rounds for some time. He finally switched over to Green Dot after Alliant cleaned up the original Hercules formula. Kaye shot some of his longest ever straight singles strings with PB. Kaye is perhaps the winningest all around trap shooter in the history of the sport. So that is a pretty good endorsement for PB IMO.
Slidehammer
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:44 am  Reply with quote

16gaugeguy wrote:
What I do remember is what the reloading supply shop owner told me. He claimed PB is one of the most even burning, most predictable powders around.

The reloading shop owner was right.

PB is mostly overlooked because of price.... Then DuPont, now IMR and surrogate Hodgdon, says the porous base (PB) is more labor intensive during manufacture; hence the added cost...

This said, I've tried literally everything in the burning range for 7/8oz in the 16 gauge and PB has no peer IMO..... Including the highly toted Green Dot.. Everytime my powder experimentation returns back to PB the loads are better.... I would like American Select too, but prefer to use 13/16oz for it as it is faster burning than PB... Clean and lower pressures for our old vintage guns is PB's advantage for us.

The moral of this story? Spend what little you have now! Better to have some PB and enjoy the benefits than have the money absorbed by this "tax machine" lurking in the weeds!

Slidehammer
Chukarman
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:08 am  Reply with quote

Charles Hammack wrote:
Chuckerman if you have some WW16CF you will be very happy indeed , love that hull too bad I dont have a truckload full of them for the new wad .

Regards Charles

Charles, I'll take that for a yes. I have a large garbage can full of old style Win AA hulls, and 2-1/2 cases of WAA16 blue wads. I like the idea of a 7/8 oz. or less load for starlings and skeet.

Can i get a small number of sample wads to try in these cases?

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:29 am  Reply with quote

Slidehammer wrote:
16gaugeguy wrote:
What I do remember is what the reloading supply shop owner told me. He claimed PB is one of the most even burning, most predictable powders around.

The reloading shop owner was right.

PB is mostly overlooked because of price.... Then DuPont, now IMR and surrogate Hodgdon, says the porous base (PB) is more labor intensive during manufacture; hence the added cost...

This said, I've tried literally everything in the burning range for 7/8oz in the 16 gauge and PB has no peer IMO..... Including the highly toted Green Dot.. Everytime my powder experimentation returns back to PB the loads are better.... I would like American Select too, but prefer to use 13/16oz for it as it is faster burning than PB... Clean and lower pressures for our old vintage guns is PB's advantage for us.

The moral of this story? Spend what little you have now! Better to have some PB and enjoy the benefits than have the money absorbed by this "tax machine" lurking in the weeds!

Slidehammer

Not to start an argument SH, but the PB loads are better in what respect? Just curious.
Lefty Dude
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:47 am  Reply with quote

One of my very best 1 oz hunting loads in all Brass Shells uses IMR PB powder.

I want to see Alliants data for Unique or American Select. These are the two powders I use the most.
Slidehammer
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:11 pm  Reply with quote

16gaugeguy wrote:
Not to start an argument SH, but the PB loads are better in what respect? Just curious.

Last edited by Slidehammer on Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Slidehammer
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:19 pm  Reply with quote

16gaugeguy wrote:

16GG,

Along with the porous base, PB is also single base. Opinion first, PB loads just feel softer shooting, even though the chronograph says they aren't..
Then patterns...
I still know a couple of trap shooters (old like me) that still load their handicap 1 1/8oz loads in 12 Ga with PB. One of them quit shooting while we were in Wyoming working a couple of decades back and he had a full 12 pounder of PB in his closet! I worked on him for years trying to get a good deal on that keg... Retired now, I got an Email from him that he had started shooting trap back in Iowa, his home state..

"What's your handicap load?" I ask him...

"What do you think?" He replies. He said he went to 1oz for 16 yards but PB was still the king for the l - o - n - g shots for him.

My 16's all pattern great with PB 7/8oz, 15/16oz, and some 1oz hunting loads. The would "all" in this sentence is probably the reason I pay a little more money for PB and us it a lot. I've had many powders pattern good in different guns but the PB seems to like them all and the pattern saturation delivered shows it.

We are going to northern Montana tomorrow for Sporting Clays... It's to the range our annual "vintage" shoot will be held next month. I'll shoot a Remington Model 31 16ga in the pump event of that shoot.... My shells are reloads but vintage as well.... 2 9/16" length, fiber wad column, (cup type overpowder) shot cup with 7/8oz and rolled crimped with the shoot and date printed on the topwad. This same gun and load will accompany me tomorrow for "our warm up" practice.... Never think because this load has "obsolete" vintage features that it is a handicap to shot or use it! If you want to use the word handicap you can...because it throws 7/8oz of 8's SO WELL!

The powder in my vintage load??? Oh well, I know you've figured that out!

Slidehammer
Slidehammer
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:23 pm  Reply with quote

Deleted.... Double post