16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  16 gauge chamber mates
dannypratt
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 8:35 am  Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has used those Browning Chamber Mates or Little Skeetere or whatever they are. I'm talking about the small tubes that let you switch the gauge of say 20ga to 28ga and the like, but it just resizes the chamber, it's not an entire barrel sleeve.
What I am really trying to find out is if there are any that convert a 12ga to 16ga and if so how well they work and what the patterns are like. I do realize you can only use these in break action guns.
-danny
Scolari
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:35 pm  Reply with quote

Yes, you can get gauge reducers like you want. I bought two sets from Cabellas. I didn have any luck with them. I had 16 to 20 gauge and empyt fired shells stuck in both brands. I finally just threw them away.
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 4:28 pm  Reply with quote

See 'chamber inserts' thread under General Discussion. Tried my 12-410 inserts again this week and am going to give up. Point of aim was significantly lower tho' the pattern seemed quite effective. Very messy and problems with extraction with the cheap loads. Again, every gun's different and they may work well for you but you will need to use AA's or STS.
hoashooter
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 11:27 pm  Reply with quote

Bought a set of C-mates at the Grand.Very dissapointed with 'em.They did ,however,promptly refund my $.The o-rings blew out-tried plumber tape like they said-they realize a problem exists.Bloopers were common in 28 and 410.When fired thru a regular gun they worked fine.Full length is THE only way to go IMO Wink Wink
TJC
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 7:35 am  Reply with quote

hoashooter wrote:
The o-rings Full length is THE only way to go IMO Wink Wink

Well then again there is always a new gun in a different guage. Very Happy

texasbilly
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 3:49 pm  Reply with quote

I owned a set of ChamberMates in 28 gauge to 410bore. These are the short "chamber-length" tubes that couple with the guns ejection system. They worked great; never a problem. Some of the locals have found that the ChamberMates don't seem to be as efficient when the step-down (e.g. 12 gause to 410 bore) is too great.
The Browning Little Skeeters do not couple with the guns ejection system and require removal from the chamber with each firing. They are a pain on a sporting clays course. They are great in the field when shots are few.
I also have two sets of full length Kolar tubes for my Citori. They are excellent, but expensive.
It all comes down to how much you are willing to spend, and what you intend to do with them.